Need advice on power amps

D20

Power User
I think i have it narrowed down to either the QSC GX3 or the ART SLA-2.

Anyone with experience with either of these that could provide input as to likes and dislikes would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I narrowed down to the same 2.

I went for the Art because:

1. Its only 1U

2. Its lighter.

3. In bridged mode there was more power (the GX series dont offer a bridged mode)

4. As I only run mono, and given the GXs lack of bridge, I would be buying half an amp I wouldnt use.

D20 said:
I think i have it narrowed down to either the QSC GX3 or the ART SLA-2.

Anyone with experience with either of these that could provide input as to likes and dislikes would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I'd say to go with the GX5 over the GX3. It's worth the extra $.
To me it just has alot more headroom than the GX3 does..
I've got a stereo setup with (2) 2x12's.
I'm not very familiar with the ART SLA-2...

Jason

Of the two amps you have narrowed it down to I would go with the ART SLA-2. If you dont have to have a single space amp I would look real hard at the Carvin DCM1540L. That would be the best bang for the buck. For a 2 space amp @ 16 Lbs it's not a back breaker and you will have plenty of head room.

Six

Thanks for all the replies everyone!!! :D

I would only be using it with one 4X12 cab.

That being said would the GX3 not have enough power for that? Would the SLA-2 be the best bet?

Thanks again for all the advice so far!!!

If your only going to run a single cab the GX3 doesn't make much sence. The watage will work but you will run out of headroom at higher volumes if you use that.

With the bridgability of the ART and 560 @ 8 Ohms you will have plenty of power to push the single 412 and will give you the option of going stereo if you ever want to. I personally run ART and have so for over a year without any issues. I have driven two 412 cabs with it as well as a mono 212 and two 112's all loaded with Vintage 30's and they all work and sound great. IMHO the ART makes more sence but again if you don't need a single space amp I would look at an amp that will give you the option of bridging for increased head room. Remember you want to be as close to 5 times the wattage of a 100 watt tube head to have the same head room.

Is it true that more watt is always better?

I used to own a CarvinDCM1000, but mosty used it between 09:00 and 10:00 at home and in rehearsal. I had the feeling it started to sound good when it was opened up a bit more and was wondering if a DCM600 would've been the better choice (obsolete as the DCM600 wasn't made for Europe).

hunter said:
Is it true that more watt is always better?

I used to own a CarvinDCM1000, but mosty used it between 09:00 and 10:00 at home and in rehearsal. I had the feeling it started to sound good when it was opened up a bit more and was wondering if a DCM600 would've been the better choice (obsolete as the DCM600 wasn't made for Europe).

I would have to say yes with respect to SS amps just by nature of how they operate.

Funny thing with Carvin amps and the way they spec the DCM series is to run the masters @ 50% thus insuring the best head room for the best results. Of course this is in a full range applaction so not to sure how it applies to the Axe and the amount of freq range the amp will see.

Im not sure SS amps sound better turned up really. There pretty linear with volume and should sound the same - until they run out of headroom then they get worse (quickly).

Its more likely just your ears. They always seem to like stuff louder whatever your running.

paulmapp8306 said:
Im not sure SS amps sound better turned up really. There pretty linear with volume and should sound the same - until they run out of headroom then they get worse (quickly).

Its more likely just your ears. They always seem to like stuff louder whatever your running.

This might be true. But especially at home practising during quiet hours, both the Axe Output and the Carvin Volume were ridiculously low, so I guess the signal was weak and not really driving the electronics properly. Maybe I should have used a power soak :mrgreen: :lol:

One more question. Will the ART SLA-2 have more headroom than the QSC GX3?

I am starting to lean towards the ART SLA-2.....

Thanks again for all the replies!

Yes.

The GX5 is 500W per side into 8 Ohms. As it cant be bridged thats your lot.

The SLA-2 is only 200W per side, so has less headroom for stereo applications, but bridged its 520W into 8 Ohms (I think - may be 560W. I can never remember whether my SLA-1 is 260 or 280W bridged - the SLA-2 is double that).

Its not a great deal of difference really but the Art is lighter, cheaper and only 1U.

don't forget to check damping factors.just as important as headroom.both the ART sla1 and 2 have a 100 damping factor.(which is how accurately the amp controls the speaker)the QSC GX series is also 100.most of the Carvin power amps have a damping factor of 500.there are higher and lower ratings from manufacturer to manufacturer,but don't just go by power ratings.a good general rule to go by on power is,always go for double the power you need.ex. you need 200watts get a 400 watt pow. amp.

I have a QSC GX5 and I power two 4x12 stacked cabs... I can't have the power more than half way before I rumble the neighborhood. But for those few seconds... damn it sounds good!!!!!!!

This may be overkill, and since i don't know much about power amps....

I know somewhere i can possibly get this one: http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/rmx/rmx.htm for pretty cheap.

Would this just be too much power, or would this be a decent deal for around the same price as an ART SLA-2?

Thanks again for all the replies!!!!

which RMX?i've read alot of reviews on the 1450.all good.only con they ever list is fan noise.but with that much power cranked i doubt you'll ever hear it. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom