Need Advice : GM50 and guiat cab for Standard

Hi All,
I am returning to these forums after a hiatus of 5 years. I initially tried the Axe-FX standard with some small monitors (6 inch KRKs) and quickly lost interest - understandably no fault of the AxeFx.

I've been going through posts and have realized that what I was missing is a power amp and a cab. I;ve browsed through many posts discussing the amp-in-the-room sound and have come to the conclusion that I will be buying a Matrix GM50 and a guitar cab and give it one more shot.

I am an out-and-out bedroom guitarist - I do not gig and neither plan to in the near or far future. Most of my playing consists of noodling around in my basement on my Vox AC10C1 with either of my 2 guitars - a Les Paul and a strat. Just to make myself clear - I have consciously opted out of the FRFR approach based on comments from Cliff as well as others.

My question is this -
1. Are there any out of the box solutions which incorporate a 1X12 guitar cab with a low powered solid state amp like a GM50.
2. Are their players who own such a rig - what is your feedback?

I could be wrong, but that I think that is pretty much what a Matrix FR12 is. I have one of those, plus an Atomic CLR Neo, Verve 12MA and Matrix amp with a THD 2 x 12 cab. IMHO, the CLR sounds best -- but it's also the most transparent so poorly tweaked presets sound bad. The Matrix is second best -- less transparent, beamier, but a good guitar tone. Amp and cab third, though tonal versatility is somewhat limited.

If you are strictly bedroom though, you should consider just getting better powered monitors. I have some Adams A5s that sound great and I can play them at lower volume than any of the preceding.

Has anyone used the EHX 44 Magnum? I was browsing the forums after posting my question, and came across good reviews of this amp.

All I need is for the poweraml to be clean and loud enough for my basement. I currently have a Vox AC10C1 and it's plenty loud for me.

I was thinking of buying this and a used cab off reverb and trying out.

@Nathan M. Thanks for your input. The Freidman might be too much for my needs right now - as in too heavy and too loud.
@bradlake Did look into the Xitone - the models all look fantastic. I did contact them through their webpage ad will wait for their reply. Thank you for pointing me to xitone.

For now, I have ordered a Quilter micro 45 and a fender cab. I mostly play clean with a little bit of a dirt sometimes, and believe that the cab is the right match for my style of playing. I will post here how I like that combination, if any of you is interested.

I just heard from my buddy Joe Guzzo who is at Dweezilla music camp in the Catskills,where FAS co-main man @Admin M@ and new preset champ @austinbuddy are jamming tweaking and learning ..with other of my dear friends and favorite musos ...so wish I were there.... but anyway, the XiTone MBritt open back got a strong personal endorsement from Matt himself...says(paraphrase ) it may be the way to go for amp-in-the-rm goodness.....think I'm gonna grab one , dammit. @MicFarlow , expect my call..!

Has anyone used the EHX 44 Magnum? I was browsing the forums after posting my question, and came across good reviews of this amp.

All I need is for the poweraml to be clean and loud enough for my basement. I currently have a Vox AC10C1 and it's plenty loud for me.

I was thinking of buying this and a used cab off reverb and trying out.
If I were you I'd go:

1. Buy 3u Rack case
2. Build rack with Axe + 1u power amp (Art SLA 1, Rocktron Velo 150/300, Carvin DCM200L, Marshall 8008, etc,etc)
3. Buy a 2x12 or 1x12 with good guitar speakers that you like.
4. Set the 3u box on top of the speaker.
5. Rock out

Even for a basement I would not use a cheap pedal board amp. It is too big a part of your tone and 1u guitar voiced rack amps are dirt cheap on the used market and do not take up much space in addition to your Axe. This is just IMHO.

Last edited:
If I were you I'd go:

1. Buy 3u Rack case
2. Build rack with Axe + 1u power amp (Art SLA 1, Rocktron Velo 150/300, Carvin DCM200L, Marshall 8008, etc,etc)
3. Buy a 2x12 or 1x12 with good guitar speakers that you like.
4. Set the 3u box on top of the speaker.
5. Rock out

Even for a basement I would not use a cheap pedal board amp. It is too big a part of your tone and 1u guitar voiced rack amps are dirt cheap on the used market and do not take up much space in addition to your Axe. This is just IMHO.

My thought is eventually to go with what you have described. If the quilter doesnt work well, I will be looking for a used Art SLA1 or a carvin. Thanks for your suggestion!

My thought is eventually to go with what you have described. If the quilter doesnt work well, I will be looking for a used Art SLA1 or a carvin. Thanks for your suggestion!
No problem, it is all opinion and trying to help out. Hope you get a great setup that works for you. I have an Axe2 and an Ultra. The Ultra is in a power amp/cab setup similar to what you are contemplating and it slays. I'm sure you'll end up with some great sounds at any volume if you keep experimenting.

No problem, it is all opinion and trying to help out. Hope you get a great setup that works for you. I have an Axe2 and an Ultra. The Ultra is in a power amp/cab setup similar to what you are contemplating and it slays. I'm sure you'll end up with some great sounds at any volume if you keep experimenting.
That is encouraging!
To be honest, I am not looking to 'nail' the sound of an amp. But having played guitars for 10 years, I know good tone when I hear it. I know the standard has the response that I am looking for, I've just been using it wrong.

Trying to give that baby what it deserves :)

Just wanted to drop in and say that with the quilter tone and the fender 1x12 cabinet, I am starting to really enjoy the standard.

I play mostly clean to a little overdrive, and have only tested out a few fender amps and a plexi, and they sound amazing.

Do we have a preset store where I can download presets?

Back
Top Bottom