Need Advice from all of you Wise and Noble Bass Players

Shredder3386

Inspired
Hey guys,

Im having a dilemma. I just finished a song I'm really proud of, and figured putting bass lines over top would be a breeze. Sadly I was wrong. Being a guitar player, I find I cant seem to come up with Bass parts to compliment the song. The bass seems to be too obvious when I try to follow the guitar riff, and when I follow the drums the guitar stands out in a weird way. Some parts work if I just pedal the root note in an 8th note pattern, but other parts don't work with that strategy. The main struggle is with this weird/awesome groove at one point in my song. I love it to death, but for the life of me I cant come up with a bass pattern that works. Do I follow the kick drum? The guitar? Neither? Attached is an example of the groove, and you can hear my bass halfway through the example. Its a strange riff to begin with, but no matter what I do it sounds liek the bass doesnt groove with it. People always say bass is easy, but I have a great appreciation for it now. Its definitely a craft. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated, and if you ever need guitar riff advice Id be more than happy to pay you back haha. Thanks guys!

[soundcloud] https://soundcloud.com/shredder3386/groove-example [/soundcloud]

Follow the kick's rhythm and stay on the root note of the chord. It's worked since the 60's... I dare say it'll work for you here.

Follow the kick's rhythm and stay on the root note of the chord. It's worked since the 60's... I dare say it'll work for you here.

Thanks for the advice man, I really appreciate it. You're right, I think I am over thinking it. That probably would work best.

Back
Top Bottom