Need Advice: Clean Amps Clipping the Output

I've been building some presets in 6.0 and I'm struggling a little with the clean amps clipping the outputs. I start out with a basic amp/cab and tweak my base tone using the deluxe and USA Clean 1 & 2 amps and 2X12 blue cab. After that I will add the effects, usually in this order: reverb, compressor, drive, wah, modulation, pitch/whammy, etc. By the time I'm done, the presets consistently clip the outputs. I then go back into the layout and start adjusting levels across all the effects but usually find that adjustments in the drive, amp or cab blocks have the most impact on the clipping. By the time I get the preset adjusted so the outputs don't clip one of two things happens 1) the base tone sounds a little flat and I lose some of the feel or 2) the drive doesn't boost the signal enough for solos. When adjusting the levels I'm usually adjusting in .01 increments until it doesn't clip. Any advice on how to tweak the levels to retain that big clean 3D tone and touch sensitive feel? Are there things to adjust other than level that help reduce the clipping? I did a quick search but didn't come up with anything; however, post some links if this has already been addressed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you for the help!

Are you adjusting the master or level control in the amp block?

You should get the same tone only lower volume if you use the level.

Mess with the transformer drive. Scott put me onto that in a few of his posts and it's very cool in a subtle way. Worth messing with the dynamics tab to tweak feel.

I've been building some presets in 6.0 and I'm struggling a little with the clean amps clipping the outputs. I start out with a basic amp/cab and tweak my base tone using the deluxe and USA Clean 1 & 2 amps and 2X12 blue cab. After that I will add the effects, usually in this order: reverb, compressor, drive, wah, modulation, pitch/whammy, etc. By the time I'm done, the presets consistently clip the outputs. I then go back into the layout and start adjusting levels across all the effects but usually find that adjustments in the drive, amp or cab blocks have the most impact on the clipping. By the time I get the preset adjusted so the outputs don't clip one of two things happens 1) the base tone sounds a little flat and I lose some of the feel or 2) the drive doesn't boost the signal enough for solos. When adjusting the levels I'm usually adjusting in .01 increments until it doesn't clip. Any advice on how to tweak the levels to retain that big clean 3D tone and touch sensitive feel? Are there things to adjust other than level that help reduce the clipping? I did a quick search but didn't come up with anything; however, post some links if this has already been addressed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you for the help!

Clipping the output just means that the digital signal is too loud. You can decrease the level use a Level parameter somewhere. No need at all to this in all blocks.
Keep Level in all fx blocks around 0 unless really required differently. Then use Amp Level to set the overall level and prevent clipping.

Decreasing level this way generally spoken has no effect on the tone, amp gain etc. You may perceive the tone to be different but that's just because it's softer.

Are you adjusting the master or level control in the amp block?

You should get the same tone only lower volume if you use the level.

Mess with the transformer drive. Scott put me onto that in a few of his posts and it's very cool in a subtle way. Worth messing with the dynamics tab to tweak feel.

I'm adjusting the level not the master, I know it may be perception but I also turn up the output level either on the AXE or my powered speaker to compensate. I just saw Scott's suggestion in another thread and I'm going to try it as soon as I get off line.

Back
Top Bottom