Need a Windows PC for recording

Well, I have spent the last few days running this Beelink SER5 Mini PC (Ryzen 5 5560U w/ 500GB SSD and 16GB of ram) and I am totally blown away at how well it handles my DAW (Presonus studio One 5).
Did some more testing - real world- none of that benchmark stuff that doesn't really apply to a DAW computer.
I ran about 10 tracks of VSTis about half synth and the other samplers. Also, Ez drummer 2 along with about 6 tracks of axe Fx audio.
I installed some VST plugins which I knew ate up a lot of CPU.
Had probably around 20 + vst plugins going.
The processor hoovered around 20% and never had a hiccup.
This is also everything on the C drive accept I used the EZ drummer samples from an external USB 3 drive.
I keep scratching my head and thinking, no way this tiny thing is handling all of that, but it is!

I am in the "build your own" camp. My MB (2015 build) went belly up end of November '22, and I just did a new build re-using some of the old components (Noctua cooler, drives, case, power supply, RAM was able to be re-used but will updated it at some point). New Gigabyte board has 4 M.2 slots and I have a 500 GB drive, a 1 TB drive and two 2 TB drives. Smokin' fast! I definitely recommend getting a board with at least one NVME M.2 slot. It won't take you long to build it out, you will probably spend more time choosing parts than the actual build process. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom