Need a SUPER compressed clean 80s guitar tone

I need to replicate the tone for the solo at the end of Genesis' - That's All. I have tried various 80's clean patches, but nothing that sounds as squashed as the tone heard on this solo at 3:30 in the video. It sounds like there's some Chorus or Dimension D in there as well. Any ideas how I can achieve this?

I think that I tried most of those already and there's not enough compression. One called "RockMeOn Clean" is the closest that I came. I think that I tried that Land Down Under preset and it didn't sound anything like that sample clip. Like you said it probably needs updating. I'll try it again tonight.

Last edited:
Sounds like a very subtle phase or flange effect blended in and if my ears don't deceive, it sounds like it coming through a small solid state amp with a small speaker. Here is a super squishy comp you could try.

Attachments

• Rockman_20161018_013845.blk
    210 bytes · Views: 24
To me it sounds like a SSS strat in pickup position 4 through a solid state amp (JC 120) with something like a 10 or 8 inch speaker (not the usual bottom push from a 12 inch speaker in the recording, though it could have been high pass filtered at the recording console going to tape to get the same effect.

It definitely doesn't sound like the Steinberger guitar.

After the miked cab, it sounds to me like soft knee compression based on the hint of pick attack that gets through before the squish happens (use Studio Comp block, 6:1 to 8:1 compression ratio for starters ,10-20 ms attack, 150-250 ms release, really tight and grabby with the threshold). Dimension D after the compressor.

thanks for the tips. I have been using a modded version of the stock preset called "Clean Comp Delay" or something to that effect. I just changed the delay effect default to "off" so I can switch it on/off as needed. It's probably one of the best general "80's Clean" presets that I've found so far. I'll give your suggestions and preset a try though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom