Need a little Guidance - Amp/Cab Choices

80sMetalDude

Inspired
I currently own a Boogie Mark V 25 head, Mesa 2x12 and AX8

After messing with the combo between Amp/AX8 for a couple nights I'm just coming to the conclusion it's a PITA to get the sound I am looking for between them or I am just missing something.

I did the global amp/cab bypass (didn't seem to do anything) everything is extremely BOOMY as in the manual.

Trying to make my own patches all sound like utter CRAP.

Thinking I just need to join the FRFR type of setup.

If I'm totally wrong feel free to call me a noob whatever. Totally confused. Watched hundreds of Youtubes pulling together info to decide on a rig and based my rig off of Ola Englunds setup Head / Switch Gizmo / AX8. The reality is that I dont have the time to put into it like he does to make that setup great.

I just want to use the amp modelling/cab without bypassing all the awesome stuff in the AX8

The Mesa is new enough to just return it and go with something different.

Any help guidance is greatly appreciated. All the videos out there do a GREAT job of SHOWING OFF the Fractal product but like none of them really discuss what they are playing through...

I mean can I just get some badass Studio Monitors and done??? I do NOT gig. I am a basement jammer for 30 years LOL.

Hi,
I agree with you 100% - going frfr gives you the ability to choose amps and cabs. What you are trying to use now will always sound like that amp and cab. Just in case it's not for you, are you able to borrow or hire a couple of quality floor monitors? You could try them and see what you come up with before spending a bomb!
Thanks
Pauly

I currently own a Boogie Mark V 25 head, Mesa 2x12 and AX8

After messing with the combo between Amp/AX8 for a couple nights I'm just coming to the conclusion it's a PITA to get the sound I am looking for between them or I am just missing something.

I did the global amp/cab bypass (didn't seem to do anything) everything is extremely BOOMY as in the manual.

Trying to make my own patches all sound like utter CRAP.

Thinking I just need to join the FRFR type of setup.

If I'm totally wrong feel free to call me a noob whatever. Totally confused. Watched hundreds of Youtubes pulling together info to decide on a rig and based my rig off of Ola Englunds setup Head / Switch Gizmo / AX8. The reality is that I dont have the time to put into it like he does to make that setup great.

I just want to use the amp modelling/cab without bypassing all the awesome stuff in the AX8

The Mesa is new enough to just return it and go with something different.

Any help guidance is greatly appreciated. All the videos out there do a GREAT job of SHOWING OFF the Fractal product but like none of them really discuss what they are playing through...

I mean can I just get some badass Studio Monitors and done??? I do NOT gig. I am a basement jammer for 30 years LOL.
Some people here in the forum play the ax8 also on studio monitors, and have a great sound. Many polled the Adam A7X, but other monitors are good too. It is best to take the ax8 and try some. Good luck ...

Thanks for the quick replies! That helps clear up that I'm not crazy.

The Head alone was around $1400, cab another $800. So my budget will be pretty good for some form of solution. I also know about the Atomic CLR, or Matrix Amps, Friedman ASM12? etc. Would love to keep hearing some ideas.

Before I was going this route I was leaning towards these:
KRK Rokit 10 3 G3

They are mid-field so you can actually stand farther away.

Would it make sense to get at least 10" for guitar?

The other direction I have seen people go is like Alto TS 212 etc or that Headrush similie.

Last Question:
Would a Matrix amp pair up nicely with the Mesa 2x12 if I kept that? I have seen some setups like that out there.

Thx!

Last edited:
How are you hooking your ax8 to the Mesa? If you are doing 4cm method, I would try bypassing the front of the Mesa and just plug into the fx return so guitar>ax8>Mesa fx return. Then bypass power amps n cabs in ax8. Now you are just using preamp sims. The amp models you choose will probably sound best if you stick to models that rely mostly on preamp distortion to get their tone.

Anyway I think you will be happier in the long run with an FRFR solution but you should be able to get good tone with what you have now.

The other option is, if you really like the Mesa rig, sell the AX8 and get a FX8 instead. It will eliminate amp modeling, but you would have world class fx with a great amp/cab that will play nice with each other. If you really want to use amp modeling, from my experience, it doesn't work well with a real amp and the above suggestions to go FRFR are wise.

How are you hooking your ax8 to the Mesa? If you are doing 4cm method, I would try bypassing the front of the Mesa and just plug into the fx return so guitar>ax8>Mesa fx return. Then bypass power amps n cabs in ax8. Now you are just using preamp sims. The amp models you choose will probably sound best if you stick to models that rely mostly on preamp distortion to get their tone.

Anyway I think you will be happier in the long run with an FRFR solution but you should be able to get good tone with what you have now.
Thx. Yep I did the 4CM with Humbuster cables, did the bypass like you said and everything still is majorly boomy. Played with levels until I couldn't stand it anymore. Already contacted Sweetwater where I bought the Amp to schedule a return..ultimately really sucks because I've wanted a Boogie all these years.

@InsideOut:
I thought about the FX8. But wanted the AX8 for the modelling capabilities/versatility and then stumbled on Ola Englands Live rig vid and said to myself that's PERFECT I want that! but had no clue how much work was involved....the Mark V has SO much versatility in it, and then the same in the AX8... I just dont have the patience to dial in both sides. I just would rather play in AX8-Edit all night and not mess with the power/speaker side of the equation. Think I answered all my questions/confusion right there didnt I.
:)

Did you try lowering the low freq res in speaker tab of the amp block?

Also how does the Mesa sound by itself? I’m not familiar with that model but many mesas work best with the bass knob really low.

The other option is, if you really like the Mesa rig, sell the AX8 and get a FX8 instead. It will eliminate amp modeling, but you would have world class fx with a great amp/cab that will play nice with each other. If you really want to use amp modeling, from my experience, it doesn't work well with a real amp and the above suggestions to go FRFR are wise.
This is good advice - The FX8 works great with the Mark amps. You have chosen a nice rig.
Have you dialed in the Mesa on its own plugging your guitar directly in? They do have a bit of a learning curve and are a bit fussy.
I have personally been down this same road and IMHO as compared to your setup vs. an FRFR you might not be satisfied depending on how you will use the amp in the long run

Last edited:
My AX8 going into a Yamaha DXR10 sounds awesome - I couldn't afford a CLR or XiTone etc but this was a compromise between those and the cheaper active speakers like Altos etc. So far I am very happy.

I jam at home and plan to record, plan to use the AX8 for that. I only have the patience for "dialing" in on one side of the equation. I think the AX8 provides more fun reasons to dial in than the Boogie due to all the amp/modelling/cabs/effects.

I am on a waiting list for AXE III so I'm pretty sure I want to keep the AX8.

I just got off the phone with Sweetwater and they are sending me several FRFR quotes/ideas. I will run the ideas by you. I will probably be getting (Monitors/FRFR Cab/Audio Interface and DAW) for the cost of the Boogie.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.

Main way I'm leaning after that discussion right now is an ASM12 & a nice pair of Studio monitors.

Please let me know what you think.

Last edited:
You can get the Friedman ASM-12 or ASC-12 through Sweetwater and if you don't like it send it back. I bet you will really dig them though. They sound really good. If you have the funds get two and run stereo. Tonal bliss.

.....ultimately really sucks because I've wanted a Boogie all these years.

If it's any consolation, in the AX8 you have several Boogies to play through!

I came to the AX8 via a tube amp and FX8 - which was such a breeze to setup and sounded superb.

I wanted the AX8 so that I would be able to use my "full rig" all the time whether it be at home through headphones or at rehearsal & live at gigs

The AX8 has been a steep learning curve & I've barely scratched the surface, but persevere as the sounds are in there for sure. Now when I power it up, it's instant gratification.

If I were at home playing for myself I'd be looking at the offerings from the likes of Atomic, Mission, Friedman & XiTone.... in fact I was set on buying a XiTone M Britt, but have put it on ice as our band is playing through a relatively cheap PA.

Seems a bit of a waste monitoring through a killer FRFR on stage if what the audience is hearing isn't as good....That's my thinking anyway!

Thx for all the great feedback. Making me feel good about the package I'm going with. It will be a little more than just the Boogie exchange but here it is. Not shipping Mesa back until Monday to stew over my decision through weekend.

(2) ASM 12
(2) Yamaha HS8
Scarlet 2i4 (I need the MIDI port)
Ableton Live 10 Std
XLR cables

LASTLY: If you think I will find (2) ASM 12 overkill thats a good $900 for other things. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom