Need a backup

andyp13

Power User
hi, I have an Axe fx xl and MFC-101 pedal. On a number of occasions the 101 has been a little erratic, on two occasions all lights on but no switches work, other times it has just started to page up continuosely, I have spare cables etc...

I am really worried that it's going to let me down one night, is there anything available that can be used for a back up to enable me to change scenes (up to 3 or 4 max)... I would feel happier if I had something in my bag that could be used to get me through a gig.

hi, I have an Axe fx xl and MFC-101 pedal. On a number of occasions the 101 has been a little erratic, on two occasions all lights on but no switches work, other times it has just started to page up continuosely, I have spare cables etc...

I am really worried that it's going to let me down one night, is there anything available that can be used for a back up to enable me to change scenes (up to 3 or 4 max)... I would feel happier if I had something in my bag that could be used to get me through a gig.
Behringer FB is quite cheap and will cover all your basics.
Pretty large to carry around as a backup though.

I have a Tech 21 MIDI Moose that has backfilled (when mine was sent in for cosmetic repair). Worked fine, gives you five presets and up/down. Nothing more, but it got me by. These can be found cheap used and aren't that much new.

Just checked it out,the FB it is way to big, I just need three or four switches so I can go from a clean scene to overdrive etc - enough to get me through the night.
Will look at the other suggestions thanks fot the help guys

Just checked it out, it is way to big, I just need three or four switches so I can go from a clean scene to overdrive etc - enough to get me through the night.
There were 3 answers... Which one do you mean?

You are not likely to find anything that can do scene changes that is smaller than the MC6.

Have you tried speaking with fractal support?

Also IIRC, usually these kinds of problems with the MFC are often related to power transmission to the board via the cable. My understanding is that the MFC is vulnerable to low/sketch power.

Bummer, unfortunately Morningstar MC6 are not available in the UK.
Does anyone know of a similar alternative that is available in the UK?

The morning star i've never seen before but it seems powerful and affordable...

My advice- is a little different but- not a bad thing to think of...
Get something like a MIDI Mouse or I think any 2 button footswitch could control presets up and down- like a $25 boss fs-whatever the one with 2 buttons...

ANYWAY
If you're really concerned about an issue with the MFC- have a bank of presets that's your 'if anything goes wrong i could make it through the gig going between these 2-3 or maybe 4 settings' and switching them on the unit or a simple footswitch

I don't use a footswitch often with it (when I did I used a Ground Control- and it wasn't extensively programed)

BUT a few times I've needed it- I just programmed like 'emergency patches' and organized them in a way to get through what I needed

The morning star i've never seen before but it seems powerful and affordable...

My advice- is a little different but- not a bad thing to think of...
Get something like a MIDI Mouse or I think any 2 button footswitch could control presets up and down- like a $25 boss fs-whatever the one with 2 buttons...

ANYWAY
If you're really concerned about an issue with the MFC- have a bank of presets that's your 'if anything goes wrong i could make it through the gig going between these 2-3 or maybe 4 settings' and switching them on the unit or a simple footswitch

I don't use a footswitch often with it (when I did I used a Ground Control- and it wasn't extensively programed)

BUT a few times I've needed it- I just programmed like 'emergency patches' and organized them in a way to get through what I needed
He wants to do scenes... Many options don't support them.

IV pulled the trigger on a Morningstar MC6 as it seems to be very flexable (and may come in useful for some other things also).
Thanks everyone for the help and advice - what a fantastic forum this is....

He wants to do scenes... Many options don't support them.
If he wants scenes- he should buy 2 MFC's - or figure out the cause of the problems he's having- firmware, presets, settings, programing etc.

BUT- if you want to keep it simple, have a backup of certain presets to get you through.

One band I was in- all original, alt rock- I figured out with the current setlist we were doing- I only needed a clean sound one part of one song half way through the set- No footswitch, nothing- I just pressed the button on the amp before and after- and made my life simpler.

Keep It Simple

If my MFC crapped out doing something- I'd make sure I'd have programmed whatever needed to get through it if it happend again- My XL+ has about 500 more presets than I need... so there's plenty of room to organize it how you need to get you through anything.

Back
Top Bottom