Neck/body gap on new MIM Strat

jma

Inspired
I recently purchased a new MIM strat online. It has a very noticeable 1/32" gap between the neck and left side of the body. The seam on the opposite side looks okay and it plays and sounds fine but the gap is annoying. I would expect to see build quality like this on a $200 instrument, but not $800. Is this normal for a MIM guitar? Am I being overly picky? I'm still within the 30 day return period. I haven't decided yet if I will exchange it.

neck_gap.jpg

It's not pretty but it probably doesn't really make any functional difference to the guitar while in use. If you don't like it and can return it, by all means do so.

If you think the guitar is otherwise exceptional you could get a shim made by a tech that would be stuck to the side of the pocket, meaning if you ever took the neck off and put it back on again it would definitely align correctly. I've got one on my US Standard Strat, and I picked that guitar as the best strat from 3 big stores 10 years ago, still my favourite Strat.

On a bolt on, all the pressure comes from the screws drawing the neck in towards the base of the neck pocket. In theory the sides don't really matter that much except for ensuring alignment, though it's definitely preferable from an aesthetics point of view that there's not a big gap. I definitely agree it shouldn't have the gap, but the guitar will still be usable. If the sides are too tight that can be how cosmetic cracking occurs with the paint, as it isn't flexible enough to deal with the pressures of the wood.

For what it's worth - some of the best Fenders I've played and owned had a neck pocket gap, and a business card shim on the bridge end of the base of the pocket to tilt the neck back to get the setup to feel how I want. It's always about the sum of the parts and perfect aesthetics don't necessarily mean the guitar will sound better.

But you still have to be happy to own it and if it bugs you and the guitar isn't otherwise a stand out example then it might be worth returning.

I couldn't live with it.
In your position, I would put a few more dollars in, and get rid of it for an American one. You think of the money once - the rest of the time, you have to live with your purchase.
Please keep us posted
Thanks pauly

American is no guarantee of a tight neck pocket if that is a major concern, you still need to inspect individually. I have owned 3 US Standard Fenders with neck pocket gaps. I do prefer the US Standard spec though, and most of the ones I've played have been very good instruments and nicer than Mex standards.

Thanks for the input. The longer I think about it, the more it bugs me. I'm going to ship this one back to the seller. I'll spend a few months saving up a little more and buy locally. Maybe I'll get lucky with a Black Friday sale.

Thanks for the input. The longer I think about it, the more it bugs me. I'm going to ship this one back to the seller. I'll spend a few months saving up a little more and buy locally. Maybe I'll get lucky with a Black Friday sale.

It's not normal. I had a MIM 70's Strat and the neck fit in the pocket perfectly.

In the end, you will be much happier. Every single time you put your hands on it.
Good luck!

For what it's worth I have a decent sized gap like that in my strat, I stressed about it at first but fixing it would cost more than I paid for it so I let it go and forgot about it until now reading this post (pretty sure SRV's strat had a gap big enough to fit a business card in and it sounded pretty good to me, he also plays much harder than I do. Just sayin')

Although I've seen MIM for 100-150- i'd say if you purchased from a retailer or online it should be at least 250 so 200 is under fair market value...

HOWEVER- your biggest issue is- how do you know what it is supposed to be?
It might say MIM but it might be parted together- take the pickguard off and take pics and i can tell you if you have a real MIM guitar
and front/back of the headstock

You could have a MIM neck on a fake body- it happens all the time- or the natural body was refinished idk
it could be a lot of things- but buying the guitar under lets say $250 online is a concern

Back
Top Bottom