Neal Schon Axe-Fx III vs Axe-Fx II

Dunlop rack wahs have a significant following with big-name shows, at least partly because they can be controlled from multiple locations across the stage.

with controllers like mastermind or liqud foot pro, the same thing could be done. using multiple expression pedals, and a midi message programmed to the expression pedal to change the wah to the block controlled by that particular pedal.
you can have at most 6 expression pedals attached to axe fx (in a setup with liquid foot, mastermind or similar) so you would loose some of the pedals for this purpose. Still, i feel like most artists or their tech using a rack wah are not aware of this.

you can have at most 6 expression pedals attached to axe fx
Where did you get that number? There are 16 External Controller options in the unit... And since the FCs each support 4, and 4 FCs can be daisy chained together that would also seem to be 16. Maybe just a typo?

Where did you get that number? There are 16 External Controller options in the unit... And since the FCs each support 4, and 4 FCs can be daisy chained together that would also seem to be 16. Maybe just a typo?

RJM provides 4 EP ports.
The III itself provides 2 ports.

Ergo: 6 ports for EP pedals, when using RJM or LF as he stated.

With multiple FC units, more is possible indeed, but that’s not what he wrote.

RJM provides 4 EP ports.
The III itself provides 2 ports.

Ergo: 6 ports for EP pedals, when using RJM or LF as he stated.

With multiple FC units, more is possible indeed, but that’s not what he wrote.
Makes sense... If you have a single controller pedal.

Other controllers can also be "chained" or "expanded", too... But in that context, totally correct :)

Makes sense... If you have a single controller pedal.

Other controllers can also be "chained" or "expanded", too... But in that context, totally correct :)

Totaly different subject: anyways what i am giving as an example, wouldnt be possible with FCs. They are not out yet but i dont think they will be as advanced as mastermind or liquid foot when it comes down to midi commands. I wish/hope they would be than i would sell the liquid foot and switch to Fractal FC.

For the example i gave above you need to have a command like
"if expression pedal X's value exceeds nr X than send midi cc X to midi channel X" (honestly i am not even sure if this command exists n liquid foot,
i am not at my studio right now so i cant double check.
but even if not i am pretty confident there is/are ways off doing this.
Even if not, shoot a message to Famc, and i can see them adding it with a FW release).

Programmed right, moving that certain expression pedal
on certain part of the stage would change the wah block lets say to channel B and let the wah be controlled with that certain expression pedal at that certain spot on stage.

Ofcourse with multiple wah blocks in the preset you wouldnt need that command. But some of us hit even the CPU limit of Axe Fx 3 with presets we build. And this would even work
for Axe Fx 2. I know the wah
block is not CPU heavy but with multiple modifiers attached, it adds up.

As i am writing this, i can also see that this can be too much to deal with even for someone with advanced midi knowledge and somehow i can understand why they keep their rack wah.

Last edited:
Totaly different subject: anyways what i am giving as an example, wouldnt be possible with FCs. They are not out yet but i dont think they will be as advanced as mastermind or liquid foot when it comes down to midi commands. I wish/hope they would be than i would sell the liquid foot and switch to Fractal FC.

"if expression pedal X's value exceeds nr X than send midi cc X to midi channel X" (honestly i am not even sure if this command exist in liquid foot,
Even if not, shoot a message to Famc, and i can see them adding it with a FW release).

on certain part of the stage would change the wah block lets say to channel B and let the wah be controlled with that certain expression pedal at that certain spot on stage.

Ofcourse with multiple wah blocks in the preset you wouldnt need that command. But some of us hit even the CPU limit of Axe Fx 3 with presets we build. And this would even work

As i am writing this, i can also see that this can be too much even for a advanced midi programmer and why they keep their rack wah.
Agreed... As they are currently implemented, I think the FCs are fairly limited in midi capability.

On a related note, I suggested to Matt that it would be really great to have an FC function to dynamically reassign external controller pedals and he said he would try to implement it.

"if expression pedal X's value exceeds nr X than send midi cc X to midi channel X" (honestly i am not even sure if this command exists n liquid foot,

As i am writing this, i can also see that this can be too much to deal with even for someone with advanced midi knowledge and somehow i can understand why they keep their rack wah.

I think a single BomeBox with a MIDI merge box can do it with any MIDI controllers. You assign various CCs to each pedal and then translate them to whatever CC the Axe accepts.

Back
Top Bottom