NBD! Spector Pulse

RevDrucifer

Fractal Fanatic
28906C36-E2E2-4B3E-9391-2B647248F3C5.jpeg

Just ran home to bring this inside before the porch pirates got to it! They’re so new there’s barely more than Spector’s own videos on them on YouTube.

Roasted maple neck, ebony fingerboard, EMG’s with a Spector Tone Pump Jr. I only got to play it for about 5 minutes but it sounds GREAT and feels amazing. The body is sandblasted and super comfortable.

I already own 2 5-strings, a cheaper Warwick and a pretty nice Peavey Millennium. I thought the Warwick was going to be the answer to all my bass concerns but it actually caused more problems as the low B and E strings were practically unusable (and if one more person suggest I try this string or that string, I’ll snap. I spent $400 on bass strings in one month. I’ve tried every gauge/brand/type. It’s the bass) due to the extreme sub-frequencies and lack of any actual tone. I mainly play in drop-C and I couldn’t get lower than D on the Warwick before I started having issues. The Peavey sounds great and clear, but too clear with a very vanilla tone to it. Still a great bass and even holds up to tunings as far down as G!

So this is just going to stay in D/drop-C. Jason at Fret Nation hooked me up with a GREAT deal on this thing and I’ll definitely be going back to him for future purchases. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a bass. He took the time to discuss features and benefits of some different models and knows the Spector line really well. It’s rare a salesman is informing me of something, so that was a welcomed change.

Nice.

I need to play some bass too!

I’ve really fallen in love with it over the last year. I’ve done the ‘guitar player playing bass’ thing for long enough and finally decided to put some effort into it. Working on playing with just my fingers but I’ve got a way to go before I‘ll be able to play all the stuff I write without a pick. Really, I just want to rip off Ryan Martini from Mudvayne at every chance I get.

My life is a zigzag course between guitar and bass. When I am focused on one instrument, I am getting better at it by loosing at the same time my skills on the other.

My life is a zigzag course between guitar and bass. When I am focused on one instrument, I am getting better at it by loosing at the same time my skills on the other.

Story of my life, man. I’ve been playing drums/guitar/singing just about as long as I’ve been playing guitar (27 years) and it’s been a balancing act for years now. I actually like playing drums more than anything else, I just don’t have enough room for a kit in my house. Then I’ve got periods where I’ll just be mixing for weeks and I don’t touch an instrument at all. Then I’m really screwed.
Clips, yo.

I’m taking a little nap then I’ll upload some of the tones I’ve been working on with it. It’s hard to make anything sound bad with that bass.

Clips, yo.

I've spent the last four days playing without a pick, trying to get my right hand tighter. I enjoy it so much more than playing with a pick and I'm anxious to really get the strings under control. The walls were shaking in my house as I recorded this. I don't know how I never fell in love with the power of bass before, but I'm loving every second of it now.

Story of my life, man. I’ve been playing drums/guitar/singing just about as long as I’ve been playing guitar (27 years) and it’s been a balancing act for years now. I actually like playing drums more than anything else, I just don’t have enough room for a kit in my house. Then I’ve got periods where I’ll just be mixing for weeks and I don’t touch an instrument at all. Then I’m really screwed.

I had also times when I focused on keyboards in general and especially on sound programming of synthesizers. The consequence is that I have some basic skills on a lot of instruments, but I don't get beyond mediocrity at any of them.
But since playing music is just a hobby for me, I'm free to follow my moods and interests.

I've spent the last four days playing without a pick, trying to get my right hand tighter. I enjoy it so much more than playing with a pick and I'm anxious to really get the strings under control. The walls were shaking in my house as I recorded this. I don't know how I never fell in love with the power of bass before, but I'm loving every second of it now.

Wow, that sounds really massive! And "Dogman" is a perfect song to show it.

I had also times when I focused on keyboards in general and especially on sound programming of synthesizers. The consequence is that I have some basic skills on a lot of instruments, but I don't get beyond mediocrity at any of them. But since playing music is just a hobby for me, I'm free to follow my moods and interests.

Yeah, it’s either going to be keys or drums next for me. Most likely keys since I won’t be getting a set of drums until we move back up North. I can play a little bit, enough to know a couple tiny piano sections, like the end of Faith No More’s “Epic” and I do a ton of synth stuff with my own music. I try to at least get to a point where I can play them sufficiently enough so that someone doesn’t hear it and say “That’s a beginner”. Then it’s kind of like the riding a bike thing, you don’t really forget, but your muscles sure get sore that first time getting back on!

Sounds great. I love my FM3, but for the Dug Pinnick tone, I haven't found anything that beats my Tech 21 DP-3X pedal. Dug in a box. As soon as I have time I really want to dail in that sound on my FM3, I know it can be done.

Fucking thunder, man. Love it.

Edit: also, send me the iii version of the squid bass preset now haha.

You're going to have to use your own cabs, though. This is what I've got in it now and I have no clue which vendor made them because I'm a disorganized little shit.

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 4.24.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 4.25.00 PM.png

Attachments

• Squidbass.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 7
Sounds great. I love my FM3, but for the Dug Pinnick tone, I haven't found anything that beats my Tech 21 DP-3X pedal. Dug in a box. As soon as I have time I really want to dail in that sound on my FM3, I know it can be done.

Yeah, for this I just went with the main bass preset I've been using lately. I got Austin Buddy's bass pack a while back and it's got some Dug scenes in it, I just haven't messed with it much yet. Hell, Dug was using an AxeFX for a while, he's a nice enough dude, I should hit him up on Twitter and see if I can get his presets from him, if he's still got his AxeFX anyway.

Thanks mang!

No prob! We gotta get the original from Squid because I've tweaked it so much at this point it no longer sounds like the original. I can't even remember what it sounded like anymore, I just know I got in and messed with everything.

Back
Top Bottom