"Natural" sustain?

Jimmykonsta

Hey guys!

First of all let me say that I am more than happy with my Fm3. Best piece of gear ever!

As a lot of you have probably noticed, when you play loud at gigs etc you need much less gain to get the notes sustain almost forever...

I know that sustain comes with volume when the pickups are "hearing" the sound coming out from the speakers and not only the strings. I also know that it's hard to get that thing at home using normal bedroom volumes.

But since I've been a little spoiled with all the great tweaking possibilities in the Fractal universe, I was wondering if there is any magic button that can give this effect. I don't want to use compressor because I don't like it at most cases, especially for cleanish/broken up lead tones. I would like to maintain a "cleanish" character without adding gain, but get as much sustain as possible.

Any ideas? I'd still be more than happy with what the Fm3 already offers but I wonder if there is such a possibility and had to ask the experienced members :)

Thanks!

Even if you don't like compressors, I would try the studiocomp FB2 (upward compressor) type after the Amp.
This is a compressor, different to the other types, because it affects the signal only below the threshold (opposite to the most "normal" compressors).
So start with ratio 3:1, threshold -40dB, Attack 7ms release 300ms, lookahead time 1-2ms! But be careful, it pushes up noisy SC PU's, so this is best for clean and edge of breakup sounds. I also realised, that the knee type parameter has a bug when set to "hard" or "soft", but medium works!

Thanks! I tried that, it does a nice job overall and I like it, but also adds gain and doesn't seem to increase sustain to my ears (at least more than any gain increase would give)
yeah, it adds a little, maybe adjust your amp a little cleaner to compensate

Back
Top Bottom