Natural Harmonics 2nd fret issue

Is the pickup placement the same on both? I could imagine that having an effect on how much the resonance of certain harmonic nodes gets picked up.

I suspect this is the key. I'd never noticed before, but the neck pickup of my Strat is pretty much directly under one of the stationary nodes of the 5th fret harmonic: sure enough, I hear next to nothing from this harmonic with the neck pickup alone, but lots from the other pickups.

Only had the guitar 40 years, still learning things about it. :)

I bet it's pickup location. Stealth is 25.5 scale length 22 fretter so the single in the neck is likely right under that node. A humbucker on a 24 fret guitar is going to be a bit closer to the bridge and off that node on the string.

5th fret harmonics on a Strat are a perfect example. Hit one on the neck pickup and it's whisper quiet. Hit one on the middle or bridge and it sings.

Who does harmonics at the 2nd fret? I don't have a single guitar that displays any natural harmonics at the 2nd fret. 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th and maybe 4th with a little work. What am I missing?
There's a strong F# harmonic at the second fret on the low E - Marilyn Manson's "Rock is Dead" relies on that for the main riff, it forms an integral part.

As to "what [you] are missing" - the answer seems to be "Gain". :p

Back
Top Bottom