National Enquirer: Fractal Fatswitch Fiasco!

Sure, but now we want to go beyond the inner workings.

Also, in some amps you actually can get some leakage from other channels mixing in. For example, the SLO100 is notorious for the Clean/Crunch channel mixing (out-of-phase no less) into the lead channel. It's generally considered to be detrimental to the tone so I didn't model that.

so are you clearly admitting that the slo100 model isn't 100% accurate ?
unbelievable ! sheeshh !! :lol
joke !!

Radley - You should try moving the tone stack to PRE on the ODS. In 5.07 it made the model (IMO) more realistic, at least for overdriven tones. I have not tried this with 6.0 yet but I will. Still trying to recreate (without tone-matching) the exact feel and tone of my Ceriatone, which was the closest thing I've played to an actual Dumble. The Ceriatone (and I assume the Dumble too) change character quite drastically with the various tone-altering switches and fiddling of the tone controls. Everything in 6.0 so far sounds quite a bit better, but I still have a ways to go to get back to my sound on all presets. I'll get to the ODS at some point and post results. I am curious to see how the FAT switch replicates or not any of the switches on the original ODS.

I was very happy to see the implementation of a 'Fat' switch on the new 6.0 amp models. My delight was somewhat diminished when I actually heard the effect on tone - it seems the fuller mids are boosted post distortion, instead of pre distortion (a la Mesa, Dumble, and others) - the effect is quite different, and I much prefer the sound of the mid boost before the distortion. The effect has a lot more smoothness and complexity when applied this way, imho....

Friend from the line 6 forums! I remember you! Everything that needs to be said has been said. I just wanted to add that you need to chill! :) up for a beer or two?

Radley I still want to know how you have your pickup switching setup on your LP! :)

'If I told you, I would have to kill you....' :) I used to have some special Kent Armstrong PUs in the Neck & Bridge positions that contained 4 coils each - all those switches are for an elaborate coil tapping matrix I came up with some years back. I still use the Dan Armstrong switching setup in most of my guitars for pickup selection - love it.

http://www.ashbass.com/AshBassGuitar/armstrongstrat.html

Yet one more time I will attempt to explain why a Direct mix or Air control in the AFX preamp section would be useful:

I have noticed over the years that while tube distortion can be very saturated, it never sounds as saturated or incohesive as it's digital counterpart - it seems to contain or somehow imply more of a nondistorted undergirding at the center of the tone, thus maintaining attack and fullness even with a fierce overlay of distorted harmonics on top. A small direct signal injection with a slight high end rolloff often does wonders for pulling distorted sounds back together into a tight cohesive sound.

That's all.

PS: Just a touch of direct mix can also help some of the AFX's high gain distortion pedals too. :)

While we're waiting and hoping for an Air parameter, you might be able to fudge an approximation of one.

Wrap a Filter block around the amp sim. Split off the signal before the amp, run it to the Filter, and feed its output, along with the amp's signal, into the cab. You can vary the level and EQ of the "direct" signal to taste.

Not exactly what you're hoping for, but a cousin thereof.

'If I told you, I would have to kill you....' :) I used to have some special Kent Armstrong PUs in the Neck & Bridge positions that contained 4 coils each - all those switches are for an elaborate coil tapping matrix I came up with some years back. I still use the Dan Armstrong switching setup in most of my guitars for pickup selection - love it.

http://www.ashbass.com/AshBassGuitar/armstrongstrat.html

Great info and seriously Radley... thanks!

I'm on a quest to buy or build my ultimate electric guitar and exploring all the options.

While we're waiting and hoping for an Air parameter, you might be able to fudge an approximation of one.

Wrap a Filter block around the amp sim. Split off the signal before the amp, run it to the Filter, and feed its output, along with the amp's signal, into the cab. You can vary the level and EQ of the "direct" signal to taste.

Not exactly what you're hoping for, but a cousin thereof.

or just a second amp block

Back
Top Bottom