nasty naisily Recording tone.

If you were closer id come over bud.

You're a lot closer than I am!
laughing.gif

If all the settings sound terrible when you're in your home studio, but you have the best live sound... then sounds like the speakers and/or room in the home studio is suspect. Do you have any locations you can go to with high-end PA or studio monitors that you can spend a few hours with?

hrm i think there is a couple of things to note here

the first point of call is the guitar, and the genre your trying to get out of it

I use it with a Strat loaded with EMG's (usually on neck pickup for rhythm, and bridge for lead along with a built in mid boost)

What you trying to do that poor fender, EMGs? and i think i read somewhere your trying to get high gain tones, however each to their own

Secondly, when listening to other peoples guitar tracks and perceived setup (i.e amp cab and gain) things might not be as they seem

Sometimes if you isolate a guitar, its not quite as you'd expect, i.e there is a certain something that happens in a mix

Additionally cabs in my opinion absolutely destroy a guitar signal, they scoop it poop it, excite frequencies and destroy others, this is what your hearing id say

Sometimes the guitar tone you have in your head just cant be obtained, real amps real cabs are unforgiving beasts, you have to learn how to tame your tone, not the other way around

Finally, if its not your guitar (which i seriously think it is), genre or playing, and you understand all the above, you need to find someone else with an axeFx, to compare, it just maybe faulty (doubt it), or some deep setting like guitar input volume, or a mirad of other things that is causing you grief

I love it that you aren't going to give up! so...You love it for your live setup, but not for recording. Use a totally different preset for recording. Try the factory presets, but eliminate all the fx. Once you find one that you like, you can add back fx and contour the amp and cab to your preferences. Sometimes we get too caught up in sounds and don't concentrate on just playing.

what tone are you looking for ?? For me personally If i am going after a tight punchy hi gain i am 99.95% using my bridge pu is HB mode.
Neck I may use on a solo if i want a fatter more fluid tone .

Seemed to work out ok for Mr David Gilmour...

Nice catch,

Though i wouldn't call him a hi-gainer / metal ect.., and a lot of his sounds were nasally / scooped / harmonic'y, which was kind of more my point

Wasn't trying to dis the fender / pink floyd crowd

*takes slow steps backwards*

I'm wondering if the OP had a problem similar to mine where my Axe sounded like boiling oatmeal (or a lava pit) on some high gain presets when i first installed one of the 18.xx FWs. It almost sounded 'ring mod-dified' without the fixed frequency multiplier component... or a thrush muffler... :pride: I actually used it to record a track on a song before it quickly returned to normal - not sure if I re-installed the FW or just cycled the power, or performed a 'reset all parameters', but it's all back to normal now and better than ever.

After spending some time in the studio here are the results, firstly thank you for you help and suggestions guys.
I have discovered that my strat (even though it sounds fantastic live) does not get the best out of the Axe in the studio, I have had the guitar all of my playing career and though I have others guitars it's all I have ever played, but it seems in a studio environment it is not getting the versitallity out of the Axe.
Lastnight I experimented with a Telecaster and though I found most settings to me very trebly I achieved some good results particialarily with the Cab blocks.
The sound I am after is a nice 'slight breakup' with the guitar volume down, and nice full lead with volume up - I want to do the guitar in one take so I'm trying to achieve this within one setting.
Today I will experiment with a 335 pro (dirty fingers pickups) and see what happens.
I find my strat the most comfortable to play, but will use the other guitars in the studio if it achieves better results.

You see my guess was right it was guitar and I think it's this mid boost mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only use the mid boost mod when I'm on the back pickup on solos, other than that it's rolled off, but I am aware that EMG's are quite middy anyway. Going in the studio again soon with a 335 and Les Paul we'll see what happens.

I have a similar issue. Most sound crap. Nasally, boxy and thin. A few are ok but nothing amazing. Default amp settings and looots of different amps used. I have my tone set and im happy with it but theres about 300 that arent good through my gear. Standard strat-axe-clr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After spending some time in the studio here are the results, firstly thank you for you help and suggestions guys.
I have discovered that my strat (even though it sounds fantastic live) does not get the best out of the Axe in the studio, I have had the guitar all of my playing career and though I have others guitars it's all I have ever played, but it seems in a studio environment it is not getting the versitallity out of the Axe.
Lastnight I experimented with a Telecaster and though I found most settings to me very trebly I achieved some good results particialarily with the Cab blocks.
The sound I am after is a nice 'slight breakup' with the guitar volume down, and nice full lead with volume up - I want to do the guitar in one take so I'm trying to achieve this within one setting.
Today I will experiment with a 335 pro (dirty fingers pickups) and see what happens.
I find my strat the most comfortable to play, but will use the other guitars in the studio if it achieves better results.

I would let someone look at the guitar's electronics. The EMGs and/or the volume/tone knobs may have been wired faulty.
Because the preset's tone is unusable with regular guitars.

I have a similar issue. Most sound crap. Nasally, boxy and thin. A few are ok but nothing amazing. Default amp settings and looots of different amps used. I have my tone set and im happy with it but theres about 300 that arent good through my gear. Standard strat-axe-clr

Reset your Axe-Fx: Utility > Reset > Reset system params.
If that doesn't help, there something's wrong with your rig setup for sure.
Might be a battery, cable(s), guitar ....

You fucking arsehole it's changed my fucking presets everything is changed !!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom