Nasal quality to all my overdriven amp sounds - See video (Pearl Jam Alive)

Hey stringtheorist,

Have you tried sweeping a PEQ thru the upper mid-range frequencies to try to isolate the "nasally" frequency? I used to have a Digitech 2112 which added an extremely nasal quality to the overdrives. I would have to use multiple GEQ's and PEQ's to fix things.

With the Axe-FX, I have much more control over my sounds, and the PEQ's don't drain my system resources. So here's what I would do: set up a PEQ after the Cab block with a narrow Q and a BOOST of maybe +6dB. Have another guitarist play thru your setup and start sweeping thru the upper mid-range frequencies. Start at 2.5kHz and slowly go up to 4kHz. You'll know once you've hit the right frequency.... Once you've found it, cut it. Start at -2dB and work your way down from there. You may find that there are several offending frequencies that your ears don't like, so don't be afraid to stop cutting! But remember the golden rule: cut with a narrow Q and boost with a wide Q.

One other thing to think about: if you're running an overdrive block before your amp, you may be inadvertently boosting the frequencies you don't like. Once you've got your amp and cab set up the way you like, go to the 4th tab on the overdrive (sorry, I'm not in front of my axe so I can't check). Anyway, it has a sweepable mid. Check which frequency it is at and adjust it if your patch sounds nasally with the overdrive on.

Hope this helps!

-AL

One other thing to think about: if you're running an overdrive block before your amp, you may be inadvertently boosting the frequencies you don't like. Once you've got your amp and cab set up the way you like, go to the 4th tab on the overdrive (sorry, I'm not in front of my axe so I can't check). Anyway, it has a sweepable mid. Check which frequency it is at and adjust it if your patch sounds nasally with the overdrive on.

Ohhhhh, it's ALL good, but this is the best ! I ALWAYS forget to double check the drive .... Too much focus on the Amp ( & to a lesser extent the Cab ) !

THANKS for the reminder ....

When I read the OP, my first instinct was that you were using the same cab for the different amps, and that the cab you were using had V30s in it. Looks like I was right...

This is the reason the V30 fell out of grace with me in real life, and I feel the same way about it in the Axe. Those cabs never bothered me onstage, but miced up or when I listened to recordings I was never happy with that certain nasal thing that was always there.

I do use the V30 cabs when appropriate in the Axe-FX, but I've been much happier with Greenback style speakers and cabs for most gain tones. In stock cabs, I use the 4x12 30 watt cab a lot for gainier sounds when I don't want the V30 sound.

It may take a while for you to find new cabs that you're happy with, but I would be willing to bet money it will solve your problem.

D

Thanks guys for all the great tips. I'll be working my way through these over the next couple of weeks and will post new vids when I have seen improvements in my tone. :)

I have noticed the same behavior with my Fender with high gain patches. I relegated it to clean patches and use ESP Eclipse for high gain. It has more meat.

I use the 30watt 4x12 on everything with no mic sim...

Also try toning down presence, bright cap, and high freq cut....sound sound smoother and warmer.

I too play this song and I love my tone. I use a Mesa 2:90 into a Genz Benz 2x12 on stage and use cab sim only on PA send number 1. Different setup but my suggestions should help.

I do not need or use any PEQ or Graphic in any setting...should not need to in my opinion.

Start your patch lines from scratch and you will find it solved with enough tweaking!

Last edited:
Regarding returning the amp to default settings, how do I do this when all my amps are saved to Global? I've tried turning the Type knob one way and then back again but in the Globals the EQ settings do not change when I do this...?

That's the way it works. Resets the geeky pages but leaves the ordinary pages as they were. Of course those tone controls you should and can tweak a little.

If you want all defaults in Axe-Edit there's a block "initialize" function. It resets everything including amp type to "tube preamp" or whatever default is. With the frontpanel buttons... I actually have no idea. Maybe delete the block and insert anew? Nope. Insert amp2?
Maybe it's in the wiki.

I quite like the tone in the vid. Don't really see what's nasal to it. I do think the stock V30 cabs are a bit nasal so, as mentioned above, it may be some retweaking with different cabs should be good advice.

Last edited:
OK, thanks. I've never heard of Catharsis. Is that a speaker or a cab?

Catharsis Studios - He is a user on the Andy Sneap Ultimate Metal forums. He created those impulses. I don't remember what cab he used, but I do know they went through the power section of the 5150 when creating them. Do a search for "catharsis impulses" and you should be able to find the small lot of them very easily. They're definitely the biggest sounding impulses I've tried.

BTW, your tone (and playing) sounds great, I would say it's the only part in the video that sounds pro. I don't think anyone could tell you're playing direct to PA unless you tell them. IMHO you are obsessing too much about it.
+1

The only stylistic comment I could make is to maybe turn down the presence a bit. But otherwise, the tone sounds better that 99% of most youtube/camcorder videos of dubious audio quality.

Really hard to tell your tone by a recording from a camera mic... Everything sounds very "middy" ( vocals too ) ... I hear the camera limiter kicking in in the loud parts, and sucking out alot of the high end... If you did a board record, that might be a little better judge... But didn't sound bad at all.

I am unable to the post the preset because when I try to upload it says "exceeds quota by 139Kb".(
If what you're posting exceeds the quota by 139 KB, then you're trying to post more than one preset — maybe a whole bank. Try it again with just the one preset. It'd be good to see what you're playing with.

No, it's a fault with the forum. I am only trying to post a single preset. Even before I try to upload it the forum says my quota is full.

Back
Top Bottom