NASA intruige and the mother of all Conspiracies?

Project Mayhem

Experienced
Can you feel it coming?

If you have been on the internet for longer than say a day or two, your probably aware that amongst conspiracy theorists, this is the one that nearly all the others feed. I can only imagine what’s going on with those people right now. Combine this coming announcement with the recent other government admissions of the last year or so, and that “storm the gates crowd” is going to see this as the second coming.....going to be a very interesting couple of weeks.

No, not a NASA conspiracy....what the conspiracy theory crowd, such as the storm gate movement from last month...kind of a mainstream thing news wise (nuts as it was )....similar to the flat earth earthers, for example...surely, you’ve heard of those people right?

My point being, how do you think those people are going to react, when they see the head of NASA planetary science division say they are close to making an announcement that will be on the level of Copernicus, that they don’t think the world is ready for.

Notice, at no point did I say endorse this train of thought...but those people are going to think they were right all along and when you combine that with the speed and unfiltered nature of social media, I just think its going to be interesting from a social standpoint.

Probably a fossil of this:

startrek_gorn.jpg

^ yes this.

So for these people, this combined with the Nimitz admission from a couple weeks ago, is going to be the tipping point for these people.

Imagine if tomorrow someone started live streaming online a bearded dude walking on the pacific off of Santa Monica pier....how do think people who were already inclined to believe that already... are going to react? How long would it take for that news to spread? Would those people go to work the next day?

This is roughly the equivalent of that for that crowd.....

My guess is they found fossils on Mars. Not terribly shocking. Mars was once a habitable planet.

Possibly.

But this guy was pretty specific in his choice of words...seems a tad over cautious for fossils in my opinion.

If it was fossils or even microbial life...I doubt the general public would even stop posing for their next selfie, or drop the Xbox controller for even a couple of minutes. This guy seems to be implying that this knowledge will change the way we think on a fundamental level, ala Copernicus (his words)... that’s not trivial considering the source.

So I read some about what he said, about us not being ready for it. I think everybody would be ready for a fossil discovery. Something controversial might be evidence that the planet's resources were harvested in the past.

Possibly.

But this guy was pretty specific in his choice of words...seems a tad over cautious for fossils in my opinion.

If it was fossils or even microbial life...I doubt the general public would even stop posing for their next selfie, or drop the Xbox controller for even a couple of minutes. This guy seems to be implying that this knowledge will change the way we think on a fundamental level, ala Copernicus (his words)... that’s not trivial considering the source.
I hope to God whatever they find on Mars looks like your avatar.

the Beatles wrote many songs about the Gorn:
here comes the gorn
all you need is gorn
i am the gorn
i want to hold your gorn
if i fell in love with gorn

And to think that we once thought Gorn didn't really look cheesy...

What I don't get is what would be big enough news to actually be that mind-blowing. Most people are pretty used to everything from tons of sci-fi movies to alien conspiracies to alleged UFO sightings / abductions, and so we're kind of "ready" for acknowledging other life forms in the universe. If all they announce is "we found evidence of organic material on Mars" I think most people will go "yea, so what." That's not going to rock the world. Like Cliff said, it's pretty much accepted that Mars was once habitable, had liquid water on the surface, etc.

If it was actually fossils and not just some carbon compounds, that would at least move the Richter scale a bit. But if it's buildings or something, or if they said "the face on Mars is real and is part of an entire extinct civilization" - now we're talking an actual "wow" moment.

So I read some about what he said, about us not being ready for it. I think everybody would be ready for a fossil discovery. Something controversial might be evidence that the planet's resources were harvested in the past.

Yes, something like that would seem to be more inline with the way he chose to state it.

The linked version in this thread, is the walked back version that came out a day later, where they focus on the “possibilities” next years mission could reveal...the original interview doesn’t state it that way... but who knows what’s real in terms of news these days. Still, both versions contain the head of nasa’s planetary science division, presumably the most informed person in this country on the subject, stating that he’s concerned that the world isn’t ready to accept this much of a knowledge revision... do you say that on the chance that a future mission may real reveal water, fossils, microbial life? If they did discover evidence of harvesting (as one example)...that would generate two obvious questions, either of which would be Copernicus level revisions.

Back
Top Bottom