naming user IR's on the Axe FX

danielodland said:
I see=) But I was wondering, is this something that Cliff can fix, or is it a problem due to memory limitations or something?

It is not broke, since it was never supported to begin with. I seriously doubt it was done by accident because it appears to have been deliberately coded. My GUESS is that is was implemented to make room for other stuff he thought was more important.

javajunkie said:
danielodland said:
I see=) But I was wondering, is this something that Cliff can fix, or is it a problem due to memory limitations or something?

It is not broke, since it was never supported to begin with. I seriously doubt it was done by accident because it appears to have been deliberately coded. My GUESS is that is was implemented to make room for other stuff he thought was more important.
That's my thought too. It was optimized out.

What I did to help me remember which IR is in which user slot was to make a separate directory for the .sysx files and rename the files to indicate which slot I have them loaded into.

I only store the IRs that I'm actually using in that particular directory.

Example:

U09 Celestion Alnico Gold Off Axis Natural A.syx

Is part "A" of Jay Mitchell's excellent 1024 bit 2x12 Celestion Gold cabinet and I have it loaded into slot "9"

U10 Celestion Alnico Gold Off Axis Natural B.syx is in slot "10"...

At least I know what I have loaded where with this scheme.

It *would* be great to have more slots.

I've used up all 10 and would use more if they were available.

Make sure you reload the patch that's using the cab or change the cab location and go back to the one you uploaded.

Easiest way to see if the axe-fx received anything is to play your guitar, if there's a brief silence, it means it uploaded.

joviguitarist said:
how do you know if a user cab has been uploaded? It doesn't show anything on my axe when I tried one using Albert's converter.
The green "Midi In" LED on the Axe-Fx will light VERY briefly at the conclusion of a successful IR upload. Other than that, the only way to be certain that you've successfully uploaded a user IR is to listen to it. If it passes signal and sounds different than what was there before, your upload was successful.

Jay Mitchell said:
joviguitarist said:
how do you know if a user cab has been uploaded? It doesn't show anything on my axe when I tried one using Albert's converter.
The green "Midi In" LED on the Axe-Fx will light VERY briefly at the conclusion of a successful IR upload. Other than that, the only way to be certain that you've successfully uploaded a user IR is to listen to it. If it passes signal and sounds different than what was there before, your upload was successful.

if you play why uploading an user cab, you will hear a brief tick (pauze). that's the way I know the upload is completed.
but (as told before) you have to reselect your user cab.

to remember which cab I've put where I do it like claudel :
What I did to help me remember which IR is in which user slot was to make a separate directory for the .sysx files and rename the files to indicate which slot I have them loaded into.

Would be nice in a future update that we could name it in the Axe-FX

thanks guys. Right now I have no way of playing through it since I have a gig tonight but I'll try tomorrow. I'm not noticing the green led flicker at all though. Also, when trying to set up the midi config in the converter, I click that and nothing comes up to set that up. Is a window or anything supposed to open to choose midi ports?

joviguitarist said:
thanks guys. Right now I have no way of playing through it since I have a gig tonight but I'll try tomorrow. I'm not noticing the green led flicker at all though. Also, when trying to set up the midi config in the converter, I click that and nothing comes up to set that up. Is a window or anything supposed to open to choose midi ports?

It's supposed to be a window. Are you on OSX or windows?

I just had a thought about the naming/archiving thing. Most people probably use the Editor to load their user cabs. Since the Editor is loading the named files and sending them to specific User Cab numbers, the Editor could probably keep track of what it has loaded into the different locations. (It's already storing other information, like effect block presets, so this functionality should be simply adaptable from other things the Editor already does.)

Would that solve peoples' concerns? If so, I could raise this idea in Lars' subforum.

AlbertA said:
joviguitarist said:

windows vista

joviguitarist said:
AlbertA said:
joviguitarist said:

windows vista

Weird. Yeah it's basically a window that lets you select the MIDI ports, which is why you can't upload right now.

AlbertA said:

windows vista[/quote]

Weird. Yeah it's basically a window that lets you select the MIDI ports, which is why you can't upload right now.[/quote]

is there a way to fix this?

joviguitarist said:
AlbertA said:

windows vista

Weird. Yeah it's basically a window that lets you select the MIDI ports, which is why you can't upload right now.[/quote]

is there a way to fix this?[/quote]

Like Jay said there's alternatives.

Try Lars Editor, or Bome SendSX Beta 1.3, or MIDI-ox.

godprobe said:
Editor!(?)
scarr said:
I just had a thought about the naming/archiving thing. Most people probably use the Editor to load their user cabs. Since the Editor is loading the named files and sending them to specific User Cab numbers, the Editor could probably keep track of what it has loaded into the different locations. (It's already storing other information, like effect block presets, so this functionality should be simply adaptable from other things the Editor already does.)

Would that solve peoples' concerns? If so, I could raise this idea in Lars' subforum.
Editor!

Back
Top Bottom