Wish Naming Channels

I agree this would be great, but there are some potential problems I can see.

1. There would have to be storage for the names of all channels of all blocks in a preset, taking up memory in the unit and maybe the FCs, and potentially increasing preset load time.

2. Depending on how preset data is stored, that might require significant changes to that data format, a whole other can of worms.

3. To be most useful, channel names would be displayed on the FCs, and should change in the FC mini-displays when you changed channels or scenes. That's a lot of ongoing overhead.

I'm just spitballing here, could be off base on all counts, but those seem like basic consequences to adding channel names.
An alternative solution which shouldn't require more memory: an option to show the fx/amp type name on the FC display.
Not useful in every case but still better than showing ABCD channels or the block name for sure.

An alternative solution which shouldn't require more memory: an option to show the fx/amp type name on the FC display.
Not useful in every case but still better than showing ABCD channels or the block name for sure.
A lot of the model names are too long to fit the FC displays. They would have to implement a separate short name that is usable for knowing the model. E.g "Plexi 100 Jumped" would be truncated to "Plexi 100" which means you can't tell if it's Treble, Bass or Jumped model. With a short name it would have to be something like "Plex100Jpd" or something.

+1
I would find this very useful.

A lot of the model names are too long to fit the FC displays. They would have to implement a separate short name that is usable for knowing the model. E.g "Plexi 100 Jumped" would be truncated to "Plexi 100" which means you can't tell if it's Treble, Bass or Jumped model. With a short name it would have to be something like "Plex100Jpd" or something.
Yeah, that's why I said it wouldn't be useful in every case, and also cuz you can have the same model in more than one channel. But still better than nothing

This isn't about amps and cabs only but about every block. And it's not only axe edit 'cause I would like to see a named channel on my fc switch and that's AF3 territory. Maybe it's technically not possible due to memory shortage but.... in Cliff we trust.

Yeah pretty much anything that is "name this" or "add notes for this" stuff should be Axe-Edit features as there is no requirement for on-device memory for this stuff.

IMO the easiest would be what I think was already suggested somewhere that they add a notes field in the "no block selected" view where it shows scene names where you could type anything you want.

The display of it may be unimportant on the device, but the storage of it in the preset on the device (and therefore in the memory) is important. Otherwise you end up with the problem where you lose those attributes when exporting/importing/archiving etc.

This isn't about amps and cabs only but about every block. And it's not only axe edit 'cause I would like to see a named channel on my fc switch and that's AF3 territory. Maybe it's technically not possible due to memory shortage but.... in Cliff we trust.
In the meantime you can just give custom names for your footswitches where relevant.

Also as previously mentioned, since channels can change while a preset is loaded, either directly or via scene change, that means updating the FC mini displays any time that happens. That's kind of a big deal.

Also as previously mentioned, since channels can change while a preset is loaded, either directly or via scene change, that means updating the FC mini displays any time that happens. That's kind of a big deal.
Not sure it is a big deal. The MUX block changes names now on Scene changes and Directly (I have it set up that way). Channel names A, B, C are not real useful though. I agree there will be overhead added to store the channel aliases, and possibly some latency added when the screen needs updating - while the aliases are looked up. As long as we have the memory to store the aliases, I doubt we would notice any screen update latency. Text chews up memory quickly though. :rolleyes: Here's hoping🙏.

+1

I think this could be an axe edit feature?

Yeah pretty much anything that is "name this" or "add notes for this" stuff should be Axe-Edit features as there is no requirement for on-device memory for this stuff.

IMO the easiest would be what I think was already suggested somewhere that they add a notes field in the "no block selected" view where it shows scene names where you could type anything you want.

The purpose of this wish is for displaying the names on the FCs.

The FCs information comes from Axe Fx. There's no way it can be an editor-only feature.

Back
Top Bottom