Name your favorite amp sim please

Wow, hard to choose. I'm not into the heavy metal drop D stuff. Mostly classic Rock, blues and fusion. for gain I use;

HAD going into two cabs 4x12 25 watt and a 2X12 custom then R121 mic
MK IIC...ditto
Plexi ....Ditto
Buttery, I really, really like this amp...same speaker set up
Or Buttery + another amp like a plexi.

For clean to mid gain.

Dr. Z
Twin
CAE Rhythm

Many faves. I like the Corncob, Uber, DrZ, Eggie, AC30, Brownface, USA Clean and Lead2, MkIIc, Plexi2... With German (notch at 125Hz, combined with V30 at -6dB) Brit 2x12, Recto1 cabs, etc...

Clean Sounds - Top boost on the edge of breakup into 2x12 Tweed
Crunch - Hipower 2 into 4x12 30 watt, or Top boost with an 808.
Gain Rhythm - FAS Lead 2 into 4x12 30 watt
Lead - Plexi 2 into 4x12 30 watt, or Euro Uber (using a graphic eq before the amp to shape the midrange)

Thats me, and very happy

Andrew W

Eventually I want to limit my amp selection to just a few and build all patches around those. But I haven't made my mind up yet. And this thread ain't helping .... ;-) (yes, I started it myself).

For cleans: Brownface and Vox TopBoost.
Crunch: JCM800, Plexi1 and XTC Euro1.
(Hi-)Gain: Brown, XTC Euro2, Uber.
Solo's: XTC Euro2, SLO100, MKIV.

Yesterday was a discovery: I rehearsed for the 1st time with the Axe/Atomic. While it was okay, it didn't "feel" quite right yet, I guessed I have yet to get used to the different sound. But then I listened to recordings of the rehearsal (Edirol field recorder) ... Man, the Axe-Fx sounds good!!! :)))

Today I tried to fatten the patches a little. I keep away for now from the advanced amp parameter, EQ's and the like. But I'm getting good results by switching from a HiRes mono cab to a stereo one, mixing two cab types and mics.
I have the Red Wirez IR's but I'm postponing playing with those. I want get the basics right first.

I'm still messing around with different things, so a nailed down favorite isn't there yet, but if I had to call one my favorite at the moment it'd be the plexi2. The JCM800 and Bogner sims are nice. I was pleasantly surprised at the 5150...it sounds better than the real one. :)

Heavy tones: Mesa New, Ubershall and Fryette60
Cleans: Brownface, Vox Topboost

They're my 'go to' amps. I enjoy a range of others. As for speakers, I use the AxeFX through a SLA2 into a Mesa Recto 4x12. Smaller speaker setup is a custom 2x12 by Sherlock with Cannabis Rex speakers. And if I need smaller, an Orange 1x12. :D

Perhaps some more bass specific gear could be great as I pretty much just use the Ampeg for all bass tones.

Love it.

USA Clean & Lead for me. Both through 2x12 Blue. Do all I want.

And I'm just starting to fiddle with the USA MIIC+ models...

(Yes, I like Mark series Boogies :)).

Depends on the mood, but Das Metall for bass. Fryette M, FAS Modern, New Recto, Recto Red, PVH5051, Big Hair. All boosted with some sort of HP filter/LV tube drive/TS808 sort.

I absolutely love the Top Boost model.

I also love mixing the Brownface and Blackface models, and at last night's gig I loved the results I got from some programs I did with the Plexi 2 for rhythm and the HAD for lead.

But they haven't supplanted the Top Boost yet.

I'm tending to land on the SOD1 80% of the time. Good for clean, crunch and even driven for lead. I love it. Really, really nice. (Actually very surprised to not see it mentioned in this thread yet!)

Other faves include Plexi 1, Top Boost, MR Z is nice, Brownface and Wrecker...

95% of the time I end up using the 4 x 12 25W for my cab sim. I would love to try the RedWirez cabs, but I'm holding off for a bit longer...

Mark Cullen said:
I'm tending to land on the SOD1 80% of the time. Good for clean, crunch and even driven for lead. I love it. Really, really nice. (Actually very surprised to not see it mentioned in this thread yet!)

SOD1?

yek said:
Mark Cullen said:

SOD1?

SPEC. OD 1 Dumble Overdrive Special Clean

Haven't seen anybody mention the Energyball...

These days I'm trying to use it for everything, including low-gain crunch sounds.
It works well for a crunch tone, with the gain turned down. Go figure.

Usually pair it with the 4x12 brit cab. The recto 1 cab works ok too.

My Energyball crunch settings (for use with 4x12 brit cab):

drive: 2.20
bass: 3.90
mid: 7.05
treb: 4.80
presence: 0.55
depth: 4.80
damp: 4.80
sag: 1.85
master: 6.85
warmth: 2.40
thump: 2.80
low cut: 100.0 Hz

I'ld be curious what you guys think about these settings, if you want to try them out.

I'm kickin' it old school with Blackface, JTM45, AC30TB, and the Spec OD 1 Clean mostly, though I have a patch with Euro 2 that I like a lot. I'm stilll getting settled in, as I just got my AFX in August. I've got 8 patches I'm using on gigs right now.

Clean: Mix between Brownface & Blackface

High Gain: USA Lead2 & CAE 3LD with Stereo 4x12 JCM2000 or sometimes use the 4x12 V30

Amazing hearing all the different faves!

Back
Top Bottom