Name your favorite amp sim please

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
So what's YOUR favorite amp sim?
Why?
Which cab do you use with it?

(Maybe the question has been asked before but it didn't come up in Search.)

I'm using the Fryette 60L for just about all my classic rock presets. Das Metall for modern rock and Recto Red for classic thrash. Top Boost, Brownface and Blackface for cleaner sounds.

Marshall Brown model

SLO X99 Drive and Clean models

USA Clean

Most of the time I'm using the stock 4x12 20 and for some strange reason, tonestack position END seems to work for me fantastically on my drive sounds. That way I have to use next to no GEQ in my patches.

Gain - Egnater & Fryette.
Clean - Brownface or USA Cln.

Who am i kidding, there are tons of great amps in this unit.

I haven't settled on a cab yet since I normally use a couple of real cabs, but I've been using the CAE 3 "lead" model in most of my presets.

I set the gain and bright cap to be about where I want it and drive the block from another as needed, or roll off guitar volume.

I've also used the Shred drive pedal in lieu of an amp model a couple of times. :)

Too much to choose from , but . . .

Maz 38, Blackface, Brownface, Blues, Top Boost

JTM-45, Wrecker for crunch (mid-gain)

Soldano

Cabs I'm using most right now are:
Jay Mitchell's Gold-NF-Center Grill & Clean 2x12 On Axis
Redwire's Speakerbox Celestion Blue & Tweed P12R

Also like some of the stock cabs, e.g. 4 x 10, 2x12 Brit, Blackface

I use the Super Tweed with my trio on most of our pieces. Also a little JCM800.

I use a mix of Redwire IRs.

BF3

+ 1 on the Corncob - I use that a lot for a wide range of sounds.

For the most part I stick with the Plexi for leads and the Brownface and Class A for clean and dirty sounds respectively.

As far as cabs go, I'm a big fan of the stock 2x12 Blue and 1x12 black.

Im using less and less amps.

Im now down to Dr Z for clean, Plexi 2 for classic rock and Fryette High for high gain. I have "alternatives" that are a little fatter in the brownface, Trainwreck and Corncob that get used accasionally.

Oh - the Das Metal does get used for serious gain abuse - not live though, just home thrash moments.As for cabs - Im using a power amp and 2x12 mostly, though I do have "parallell" cabs set for recording. 2x12 brit for the Drz. both the fryette and Plexi 2 use Brit 4x12 and 20W 4x12 in paralell.

I'm using the "Buttery" model (Budda Twinmaster) as my main rhythm sound for the moment, with pre/master mostly cranked. Still plenty to explore, but that sits real well in the mix so far.

Follow the link below, and listen to the part after the first chorus for "Lost" - that's the patch, though the gain is a bit lower than usual for the recording.

Mike

The stock "Ned Beatty" preset is my go-to sound. I tweaked it a wee little bit, but that's a great starting point for just about any sound for me. That Fryette model is fantastic.

For my classic rock (skynyrd, bryan adams, etc...) I use a tape drive in front of a clean brownface.

Interesting how different the choices are so far. Just proofes the point how different tastes are and that there definitely are not enough sims in the Axe already :D

VegaBaby said:
Interesting how different the choices are so far. Just proofes the point how different tastes are and that there definitely are not enough sims in the Axe already :D

:lol: :lol: . As I was reading through this, that's exactly what I was thinking and about to say. You took the electrons right out of my mouth

Back
Top Bottom