Bug? Name timeout issue on the MFC Q2.04

notalemming

Fractal Fanatic
The name timeout issue on the MFC after scrolling through banks is back with Q2.04. I never loaded 2.03 but 2.02 beta zwei & the final release of 2.02 were fine. What happens is if I go from say bank 10 to bank 1, the name drops off the MFC display so there is only the number, then the Axe freezes & you get the name time out message on the MFC. The only way to make anything work again is to restart. Anyone else having this issue?

Not sure why this was moved to the MFC forum. This is an Axe firmware issue. It was there with Q1.01, the first Q2.02 beta, fine with Q2.02 zwei & the release of Q2.02. Now it is back with Q2.04.

I have had the same issue. I think what is going on is this. When scrolling through the presets using your foot down on the mfc the axe loads the respective presets one after the other. If one of these preset is very complex with many blocks in it and the processor utilisation is very high, say over 90%, then it takes the axe a while to load the preset. However, in the meantime the next preset calling is sent by the mfc and that confuses the axe and crashes it.
If you select one preset after the next the time between the messages sent by the mfc is probably long enough for the axe to fully load the preset before the next preset is called by the mfc and therefore everything is fine

i also posted this in the Axe FW thread, but if you turn off TOTALSYNC on the MFC, does the problem go away?

Last time I checked it did not matter if TOTALSYNC was on or off (which was prior to Q2.04). I am not near my rig now so I cannot check right now.

Q2.04

Just happened to me on a patch change (From FAS Modern to ODS100), went to grab eyeglasses to read what the amp actually is named, voila the MFC says AXE FX NAME TIMEOUT.

Was't scrolling - direct I/A (right 2 spaces)

Can't use the MFC - will reboot

Reboot - same thing. Please help!

3rd try happened differently ... went to 3 presets (000, 003, 004) then went to scroll, foot footed the down and got to BYPASS where the MFC froze.

Value knob on AXEFX changes presets.

MFC - nada (lights on; reads BYPASS) and this time no "AXE FX NAME TIMEOUT."

Reboot - went to BYPASS after using native MFC edit I/A switches to navigate.
Firmware is 3.08
Confirmed that TOTALSYNC is on

played for 30 mins+ ... now it's working as typical/normal ...haven't gone near the offending presets, but have been through several amps/presets and it's functioning.

Last edited:
If the fix for this involves recoding how MFC handles patch changes, I have a request that may go along with it:

Is there local memory in MFC to store a hash of patch numbers and names and then scroll through this rapidly on MFC, and only load the patch change 500 msec after button release? Heck, if you want to preempt people complaining about the time to change just one patch, make it an MFC config option for how long to delay on button release before triggering the actual patch change.

That would stop all the weird glitchy artifacts where it seems to load each patch in full with the associated transmission latency while just trying to scroll through them. Would cut down a lot of data transmission and processing cycles and improve user experience, while reducing corner-cases that need to be handled on AxeFx side where it half-loads some sysex for a patch and then gets a different set of sysex for a different patch while the user is scrolling on MFC. I obviously don't know the details of how you have coded it, and am probably not aware of what other constraints you face, but just thinking out loud in case it's a fresh perspective.

The product is truly awesome, and I hope all feedback is seen as our desire to make it even better.

Last edited:
I am suffering too.
I think it happens if I scroll or tap quickly.
I don't use banks. Just up and down.
I also found the problem occurred with 2.01 beta, not 2.02, but is back again.
Not especially helpful I know, but there is no other common denominator except firmware changes.
I'm xl and mfc 3 using faslink

Does everyone who's having this problem have their Bank Style set to Current or First (as opposed to None)?
-
Austin

Does everyone who's having this problem have their Bank Style set to Current or First (as opposed to None)?
-
Austin

Mine was set to current. Matt emailed me & suggested setting it to none. So far it has worked fine but that is only after a couple of hours of playing. Still, something is going on since it has been fine set to current for years starting with firmware v1.1 until Q 2.01. Then 2.02 was fine & now the problem is back in Q2.04.

After you receive the timeout message, have you guys tried changing the the preset by scrolling on the axe fx? Does this fix it? Reason I ask is I'm new to the MFC (Not new to the axe), as a previously used an LFP. I've had a couple timeouts at each gig recently. One I unplugged and replugged and recently at this last gig I just changed the preset on the axe and it corrected itself. I'll have to test mine tonight.

After you receive the timeout message, have you guys tried changing the the preset by scrolling on the axe fx? Does this fix it? Reason I ask is I'm new to the MFC (Not new to the axe), as a previously used an LFP. I've had a couple timeouts at each gig recently. One I unplugged and replugged and recently at this last gig I just changed the preset on the axe and it corrected itself. I'll have to test mine tonight.

The issue I am having the whole system freezes & I have to restart everything.

Mine was set to current. Matt emailed me & suggested setting it to none. So far it has worked fine but that is only after a couple of hours of playing. Still, something is going on since it has been fine set to current for years starting with firmware v1.1 until Q 2.01. Then 2.02 was fine & now the problem is back in Q2.04.

Well, this isn't the solution. Last night it timed out & locked up just going from 1 preset to another in the same bank. No scrolling involved.:mad:

Well, this isn't the solution. Last night it timed out & locked up just going from 1 preset to another in the same bank. No scrolling involved.:mad:
1) What version MFC101 are you using?
2) How are you connected to the Axe FX
3) Are you running the latest MFC101 firmware
4) (most importantly) Is this something that is repeatable between the 2 presets that froze you up last night?
-
Austin

1. MKII
2. Ethercon
3. 3.08
4. I shut everything down last night when it froze up. Will try again tonight after work & see if I can reproduce it.

Also, this is an XL running Q2.04. I had similar problems with Q2.01 & the first beta of Q2.02. Q2.02 zwei & the final release seemed to be fine. I never loaded Q2.03.

I have been emailing with Matt & the scrolling issue happens every time when the MFC is set to current bank, which is the way it has been set for years with no issue before.

Last edited:
Hey Chris, I forgot to try that as Matt had emailed the suggestion to change the bank style to none. Will give that a try when I get home tonight.

1. MKII
2. Ethercon
3. 3.08
4. I shut everything down last night when it froze up. Will try again tonight after work & see if I can reproduce it.

Also, this is an XL running Q2.04. I had similar problems with Q2.01 & the first beta of Q2.02. Q2.02 zwei & the final release seemed to be fine. I never loaded Q2.03.

I have been emailing with Matt & the scrolling issue happens every time when the MFC is set to current bank, which is the way it has been set for years with no issue before.
Cool. I was just thinking if the preset thing (within the bank) was reproducible, maybe you could upload your presets and we could see if we could reproduce it. I'm using a MKIII so we could see if this is tied to a particular hardware version or connection type (I use faslink, but I could obviously hook it up via the ethercon for testing).
-
Austin

Well I used my MFC last night at rehearsal, XL 2.04, and didn't have an issue at all. I have total sync on. I didn't use my tuner last night come to think of it. Hopefully I'll have a chance to test more this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom