Name 7 guitar players you really like...

Here's my 7 (in no particular order):

Steve Morse
Eric Johnson
Guthrie Govan
Neal Schon
Gary Moore
Greg Koch
Robben Ford

No paticular order..

Jimmy Page
Billy Gibbons
David Gilmour
Eddie Van Halen
Frank Marino
Robin Trower
Nuno Bettencourt

Rocky George (Suicidal Tendencies)
Dimebag (Pantera)
Bill Steer (Carcass)
Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top)
Jimi Hendrix
Jeff Rose (Dub War)
Wes Borland (Limp Bizkit)

These guys where just my school of guitar playing (or I still wish I could play like them)...

John petrucci
Marty Friedman
Walter giardino
Misha mansoor
Dimebag Darrel
Guthrie Govan
tom quayle

All of those players ... are really really amazing !!! I love all of them, specially Vai, Eric Johnson and mr Timmons or even Guthrie, but I ll get a little bit out of the box here and say 7 names I m listening now a lot, this are names that changed a lot from one month to another but here are my 7 names !!! in no order
Tom Quayle - I cant really get enough from this man, his phrasing is so good. This is something like my "fusion" or "modern" influence.
Josh Smith - I discovered this guy like 3 or 4 months ago. Again, soooo amazing blues feel and phrasing. Of course this is my "old" or "classic" influence. I always get back to blues no matter what :p
Andy James - well, here is my "metal" influence. I really like his playing, cause a lot of metal guys are just technical and shred solos but I can feel Andy´s playing and I love that.
Andy Wood - amazing player !!! He s coming from mandolin and country stuff so his picking is really really clean and good. Love the fact that he s a rock guy and its much easier for me to understand his licks and phrasing, so, here it is my "country" influence.
Rick Graham - you cant get any better than Rick. Enough said. Touch, feel, harmony, technique, whole pack !!!!
Doug Rappoport - this is my true "rock star" ifluence !!! He got zakk wylde and eric johnson licks but in a way more modern aproach. Really inspiring player. Not a lot of bideos or stuff about him but anyway.
Jack Gardiner - the young man. His phrasing is so good, He s only 20 and man, what a cat !!! Rock style with fusion touch, so clean and dirty at the same time !!!! Good !!!
I can go on and on and on, Martin Miller, Alex Hutchings, Per Nilsson, Claudio Pietronik, George Marios ... etc etc etc .... this world is sooooo full of amazing players

Angus Young
Gary Moore
Yngwie J. Malmsteen (The J is so you don't get him confused with all the other Yngwie Malmsteens)
Akira Takasaki
Tommy Emmanuel
Steve Vai
Jeff Loomis

George Lynch
Jake E Lee
Joe Walsh
Lindsey Buckingham
Studio Jimmy Page
Mike Campbell
Jimi Bell

Did I do this already? I forget.

I love totally original, 'break the mold' guitarists most of all - guys who don't sound like those who came before them, and are usually recognizable almost instantly.

Frank Zappa
Jeff Beck
Jimi Hendrix
Curtis Mayfield (2/3 of what Jimi did, he copped from Curtis, the other 1/3 came from the Andromeda Galaxy).
Chris Whitley
Leo Kottke
John Fahey

Of course I could easily swap out one of these guys from one of the blues greats like Albert King (where SRV got, oh, 85% of his sh!t), or another favorite, Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown.

Or check out Ike Turner on 'I Smell Trouble' - he was a SMOKIN' blues guitarist!

Whitley is perhaps the most UNDERRATED of the lot. Some comments on his work:

According to musician Dave Matthews: "I feel more passion for his music than I do for my own. I have a fervent, religious devotion to the magic that Chris Whitley makes" and Robert Lockwood, Jr. commented "[That] boy...plays like three men."

A music reviewer at the Detroit Free Press said: "The notable constant has been the quality of craftmanship, and the consistent question of how Whitley's combination of super songs, muscular-but-poetic lyrics, athletic voice and rock-god guitar work hasn't earned him a wider audience" while a writer at Rolling Stone magazine said: "The post-Hendrix explosion of whammybar wankers hasn't produced a single axeman who can compare to Chris Whitley. His eerie, bluesy voice and American gothic tunes frequently draw attention from the fact that he picks like a pissed off Doc Watson jacked through a Marshall stack".

Bruce Springsteen, Bruce Hornsby, Tom Petty, Jacob Golden, Myles Kennedy, Don Henley, Iggy Pop, Alanis Morissette, Sandi Thom, John Mayer, Gavin DeGraw, Joey DeGraw, Roland Chadwick and Keith Richards all count themselves admirers of Whitley's music.

the musician John Mayer said, "[When] Chris Whitley died...with him went a big part of modern American blues music. There aren't many fighters for the cause, and Chris never gave up on his mission. His somewhat prostrated place in pop culture earned him a sidebar of an obituary, but to those who knew his work, it registers as one of the most underappreciated losses in all of music."

Last edited:
I hate threads like this, having to selectively chose which one that I like. Having to pick a style of guitarist and limit it to only seven is a pretty hard thing to do. It's like saying I have seven different music groups I listen to and here they are. I will say I have a lot but when ever I hear some that makes me stop look and listen I have to add them to the list.

Mark Lettieri of Snarky Puppy band
Pete Thorn of Paid By The Note, LLC
Koichi Yabori of Fragile, Fazjaz and WYSISYG bands
Steve Lukather of Toto, Doves Of Fire, Los Lobotomy and El Grupo bands
Andy Timmons of Protocol II band
Ray Gomez of Stanley Clarke and Narada Michael Walden bands
Buzz Feiten of Larsen Feiten and Full Moon bands

Back
Top Bottom