Name 7 guitar players you really like...

Jimi Hendrix - Guitarplaying has never been the same since...
EVH - Took guitarplaying and tone up to another level and into the 80´s
VAI - Started with impossible guitarparts with Zappa and went where no guitarplayer ever have gone (however sometimes derail)
SRV - Blues, groove and feel like nobody else
Lee Ritenour - jazz fusion. Captain Fingers
Lukather - Fantastic feel for melody and smooth solos
Robben Ford - Blues and fusion on acid

In no order
These guys influenced me.
Peter Green
Neil Young
Mark Knopfler
David Gilmour
Richard Thompson
Ritchie Blackmore
Bert Jansch

There are so many more.

I always think of the guys I grew up admiring ...

Randy Rhoads
Eddie Van Halen
Vito Bratta
Nuno Bettencourt
Steve Vai
Paul Gilbert
Rik Emmett

Guthrie Govan, Brian May, Gary Moore, John Sykes ... so many more.

Jack Pearson is a Nashville local hero who was briefly in the Allmans. He's a very good slide player and blow away regular player. Bluesy with total legit jazz chops, too. Fans of Robben Ford should totally dig him. "Cotton Tail/I Got Rhythm" Jack Pearson and Tommy Emmanuel kick butt on these old classics. - YouTube. This link is to a tune with Tommy Emmanuel sitting in. It's not representative in that its way more hotshot flash than Jack usually provides, but in a joyful way he completely shreds on this tune in his solo starting around 5:10. Check other links for more normal Jack which is still totally badass and a bit more restrained and musical. This just makes me laugh. I'd love to see Jack do this with/to Tommy on a PBS special (big tv show Tommy's had).

Jack Pearson was a very nice acquaintance. He seems effortlessly go between jazz and blues and therabout. I like his way to do the more unexpected in a rather regular context as well as his rythmhic kick without blistering up and down the fretboard. Like him a lot.

Some not so often cited ones...

Rusty Anderson
Allan Hinds
Julian Coryell
Peter Stroud
David Ryan Harris
Doyle Bramhall II
Robert Quine

Jimi Hendrix

=========

Duke Levine

Nice to see Duke get some love. He's an amazing and very soulful player. I totally dig his solo CDs. He seems to produce every good singer songwriter from the northeast these days, but doesn't get much recognition for how badass a player he is. There's some great YouTube stuff of him though.

PS. Just checked Amazon and his CD are out of print. It's a total shame. All the reviews are great. They're rootsy instrumental CDs that are very tuneful and musical. Tons of amazing playing, but it all flows beautifully and bears repeated listening. Shades of Danny Gatton, Roy Buchannon, Johnny A and lots of others, but he makes the playing fit in a musical context as well or better than any of them.

Last edited:
surprized no one mentioned neil schon.He could wrangle some pretty good song fitting melody out of the pentatonic.

Jason Becker
Marty Friedman
Guthrie Govan
John Petrucci
Andy James
Mats Haugen
Bjorn Gelotte
Chris Feener
Lee Mckinney

Added a couple extra.

Alright my turn!

Jimmy Page.

Frank Zappa.

EVH.

Uli Jon Roth.

Randy Rhoads.

Eric Johnson.

Michael Schenker.

....oh and soooooo many many more great guitarist that rock my soul!!!8)

EVH
SRV
EJ
Hendrix
Holdsworth
Robben Ford
Vai
Rhoads

And Lifeson, Page, Beck, Bettencourt, Schenker, Petrucci, Satriani, Govan, Summers, Edge, Felder...

Back
Top Bottom