Name 7 guitar players you really like...

Mike McCready
Dave Grohl
SRV
Frank Zappa
Fredrik Thordendal
Larry Mitchell
Kasper Eistrup

And alot more offc, but these 7 popped first.

Last edited:
Ted Greene (underrated guitar genius, check out his book Chord Chemistry if you ever wanted to know anything harmony and the guitar)
John Fahey
Marc Ribot
Mattias Eklundh
Larry LaLonde
Adrian Belew
Fredrik Thordendal

Electric
1. Alex Lifeson
2. Andy Summers
3. Pat Metheny
4. Kim Thayil

Acoustic
1. Michael Hedges
2. Bruce Cockburn
3. Joni Mitchell

honorable mentions: Jimmy Page, Tosin Abasi, Frank Gambale, David Gilmour, Adrian Belew and on n on n on.............

Brian May
Roine Stolt
Jim Matheos
Bumblefoot
Guthrie Govan
Eric Johnson
Derek Trucks

Not that they're my top 7 or anything. That's just 7 that came to mind.

Oh, and special mention goes to the bloke here that did that doppio thing, coz my mind is still blown over the fact that Im using the same Axe-FX and mine has sure as hell never made anything like those sounds. :|

Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon) : a complete musician
John Petrucci : i know as many of us... the wikipedia guitarist, very nice and humble guy
Joe Satriani : Buddha Zen Guitarist Master IMHO, so gentle, so expressive, even if sometimes i get bored
Steve Vai : A monster when it comes to unusual sounds and "avant gardisme"
Antoine Dufour : from Quebec, explorer of so many unusual territories
Adam D (Killswitch engage): Awesome guitarist.
Prince : Love the way he handles both shows and guitar skills

Bill Frisell
John Abercrombie
Habib Koite
Jim Hall
Derek Trucks
Jack Pearson
Ry Cooder

That almost works for me to. But I change the last three, even though I like Cooder, I don't know Derek Trucks & Jack Pearson.

Like to add
Eivind Aarset -- Eivind Aarset Trio - Silk Worm [2005] - YouTube
Ralph Towner -- Ralph Towner - Oceanus - YouTube
Marcello Peghin for his work with -- Daniele Di Bonaventura on Canto alla Terra
Daniele Di Bonaventura - Tarantella per Ralph [Canto alla Terra] 2006 - YouTube

Randy Rhoads (when he was alive yet)
EVH (he was my blazing guitar hero, RR was my musical guitar hero)
Paul Gilbert(grew up close to me around the same time)
David Gilmour
Jimmy Page
Adrian Smith/Dave Murray
John Petrucci

That almost works for me to. But I change the last three, even though I like Cooder, I don't know Derek Trucks & Jack Pearson.

Like to add
Eivind Aarset -- Eivind Aarset Trio - Silk Worm [2005] - YouTube
Ralph Towner -- Ralph Towner - Oceanus - YouTube
Marcello Peghin for his work with -- Daniele Di Bonaventura on Canto alla Terra
Daniele Di Bonaventura - Tarantella per Ralph [Canto alla Terra] 2006 - YouTube

I know. Ralph Towner, but not the others. I'll have to check them.

Derek Trucks is a monster slide (and regular) player. He's been in the Allman Bros for 10+ years, had his own band and now the Tedeschi Trucks Band with his wife Susan Tedeschi and a bunch of other great players.

Jack Pearson is a Nashville local hero who was briefly in the Allmans. He's a very good slide player and blow away regular player. Bluesy with total legit jazz chops, too. Fans of Robben Ford should totally dig him. http://youtu.be/Hr72QtgfBk8. This link is to a tune with Tommy Emmanuel sitting in. It's not representative in that its way more hotshot flash than Jack usually provides, but in a joyful way he completely shreds on this tune in his solo starting around 5:10. Check other links for more normal Jack which is still totally badass and a bit more restrained and musical. This just makes me laugh. I'd love to see Jack do this with/to Tommy on a PBS special (big tv show Tommy's had).

Couple I have to mention as well:

Steve Lukather, not only an incredible player, but man, i just totally groove to that cat's attitude, vibe and style. I love his interviews, he's so straight up.
Steve Hackett, we know I'm a fan; better to play choice notes that a flurry of notes hoping that in amongst the 600 notes played, there were a few good ones in there.
Steve Howe, he kept me interested. That said, he kept me interested when I was high, so hard to say how that would translate to today's listening experience.

That's a lot of "Steve's"...

I think Frusciante is a killer player - period. I just hope his departure from RHCP doesn't lead him back from whence he came.
I actually think John5 is pretty awesome, because he's different.
Paco, period.
Dweezil, obviously.

2 cents, er, 4 cents added... Probably get up to a dollar added by the end of the week ;)

Mo

Zappa - consistently original, sounds like no other.
Hendrix - ditto...
Jeff Beck - ditto..
Michael Hedges - ditto...
Mark Knopfler - ditto...
David Gilmour ditto...
Kim Thayil - ditto...

I value guitarists who sound utterly unique. And who surprise me. All of these men, in their time, shocked the shit outta me, from 'Inca Roads, to 'Machine Gun' to 'Cause We've Ended as Lovers' to 'Aerial Boundaries' to 'Sultans of Swing' to 'Suicide'...

Last edited:
John Jorgenson
Phil Keaggy
Neil Schon
Robben Ford
Steve Lukather
Dickie Betts
Eric Johnson

If I could think and play like any of these, I'd be in Twangsta Heaven.

Paul Gilbert...

How could forget this guy?!?!? His passion for playing and guitar-in-general is completely infectious. Ya, mega WIN there [thumbsup]

I already threw out my bottom 7 on the other thread... I guess it's only right to throw out my top 7: Some are pretty cliche, but then again, if they've been a big influence for years growing up, it's hard not to give them props:

SRV
EVH
Santana
Steve Lukather
Eric Johnson
Brent Mason
Vince Gill

Back
Top Bottom