Naked amps vs Live Gold ( which is more suitable for home recording ?)

refraktr

I've been looking at other threads before writing this but they were not explicitly saying what was their main use with one the tonepacks would be. If you need me to give you more details let me know

Cheers

Looking out for presets to have reference for some tones from artists etc is good , but only for that.

You should make sure you are not missing out on exploring the unit yourself, as the possibilities with this unit are crazy, and once you get going you will find it hard to stop as you always have some idea or the other. You can do a lot more when you make your own presets

As for your Austin buddy preset question, Naked amps should be your choice if you don't intend to play live, as the live pack I have read is tailored specifically for different live needs with instructions about what to do in which scenario.

Last edited:
There is an existing thread with this question, with relevant comments from Austin Buddy. Use the search function

As for your Austin buddy preset question, Naked amps should be your choice if you don't intend to play live, as the live pack I have read is tailored specifically for different live needs with instructions about what to do in which scenario.

I currently do not play live, and I've never used again the Naked Amps since the Live Gold pack was released. The Naked Amps is still not updated to Cygnus, and it superseded by the Live Gold Pack.

Looking out for presets to have reference for some tones from artists etc is good , but only for that.

You should make sure you are not missing out on exploring the unit yourself, as the possibilities with this unit are crazy, and once you get going you will find it hard to stop as you always have some idea or the other. You can do a lot more when you make your own presets

Thanks for the reply. This is mainly why im looking for presets ive already spent a while exploring and tweaking stuff and watching a lot of tutorials on youtube to get the best results but all of this has overwhelmed me and i heard AB Packs were a good reference point to get familiar with the unit like you said and its also a time saver.

Thanks for the reply. This is mainly why im looking for presets ive already spent a while exploring and tweaking stuff and watching a lot of tutorials on youtube to get the best results but all of this has overwhelmed me and i heard AB Packs were a good reference point to get familiar with the unit like you said and its also a time saver.
go for live gold, ignore what I said earlier as i didnt realise naked amps aren’t updated yet, refer to the link by piing above .

Last edited:
When Naked Amps gets updated that would be my choice for recording. For those that say it’s dumb to buy presets, maybe they have all the time in the word to dial stuff in, but it’s nice to have 1,000 solid sounds accessible in seconds when you have other things to worry about.

Not sure what you're all on about with all of the dialing in but with cygnus you just pick a factory preset you like the sound of and you're ready to go. A perfect tone that will satisfy anyone and especially the audience. Every sound you need is already in the box. It's just like with a tube amp, you really don't need anything beyond the amp EQ now.

Not sure what you're all on about with all of the dialing in but with cygnus you just pick a factory preset you like the sound of and you're ready to go. A perfect tone that will satisfy anyone and especially the audience. Every sound you need is already in the box. It's just like with a tube amp, you really don't need anything beyond the amp EQ now.
I totally disagree with this. To me the factory presets are completely useless without major tweaking. It's like trying to play on someone else's guitar rig without touching any of the controls. Each individual has their own playing style, guitars ,and monitor system. It's virtually impossible to write a preset that will work perfectly for everyone.

I totally disagree with this. To me the factory presets are completely useless without major tweaking. It's like trying to play on someone else's guitar rig without touching any of the controls. Each individual has their own playing style, guitars ,and monitor system. It's virtually impossible to write a preset that will work perfectly for everyone.
I'm with you @Ocnor, although I wouldn't go nearly so far as to say "completely useless". The Axe Fx3's presets are really the best I've heard; I can usually see what they're trying to do immediately and quickly tweak for my use. Most of them aren't guitar-store ear candy that's way too wet and over-the-top, and many are truly instructive on how certain effects or configurations can be used. But this commonly cited idea that they are plug-and-play for all guitars and techniques is confounding to me. I wouldn't expect a real life rig to have a setup that was perfect for my '52 reissue Tele AND my 90's Ibanez shred machine with Satch pickups, nor would I attempt to create one.

I don’t have any experience with the Naked Amps but as I’m getting ready to start mixing the album I’ve been working on, I knew I wanted to have a good selection of tones to choose from for overdubs and re-amping. While I normally don’t get on well with other people’s presets, I bought AB’s Bass pack a few months back when I was having issues with my bass tone (it was the bass) and I really dug how he dialed those presets in, as well as arranged them, so I figured I’d check out the Live Gold pack.

It’s fucking GREAT. Like REALLY great! I haven’t come across a bad sounding preset/scene yet. They way they’re arranged is AWESOME so you can find exactly what you’re going for right away. The biggest help to me was having amps I’ve never played through already dialed in to display what they can do. I’d have been lost pairing some amps with IR’s and this took that right out of the equation. I had just bought a PRS Semi-hollow earlier in the week and wasn’t sure how I felt about it yet, as most of my presets are dialed in for metal tones and this isn’t exactly a metal guitar. Once I played it through a few different presets, I was sold on the guitar and Live Gold.

I’ve scoffed in the past at paying for presets, but Live Gold is……gold.

Enjoying AB's Live Gold FM3 presets...but does anyone know if the layout issue for the control switches has been fixed? It was not included when purchased because of a bug in Fractal land. Going to just start building my own but thought I would ask first? Like to use AB's layout...much simpler and already baked ...

I don’t have any experience with the Naked Amps but as I’m getting ready to start mixing the album I’ve been working on, I knew I wanted to have a good selection of tones to choose from for overdubs and re-amping. While I normally don’t get on well with other people’s presets, I bought AB’s Bass pack a few months back when I was having issues with my bass tone (it was the bass) and I really dug how he dialed those presets in, as well as arranged them, so I figured I’d check out the Live Gold pack.

It’s fucking GREAT. Like REALLY great! I haven’t come across a bad sounding preset/scene yet. They way they’re arranged is AWESOME so you can find exactly what you’re going for right away. The biggest help to me was having amps I’ve never played through already dialed in to display what they can do. I’d have been lost pairing some amps with IR’s and this took that right out of the equation. I had just bought a PRS Semi-hollow earlier in the week and wasn’t sure how I felt about it yet, as most of my presets are dialed in for metal tones and this isn’t exactly a metal guitar. Once I played it through a few different presets, I was sold on the guitar and Live Gold.

I’ve scoffed in the past at paying for presets, but Live Gold is……gold.
Exactly this. AND often with presets that sound great in headphone, they don’t sound so great in other ways (FRFR, house mix, etc). But Buddy has managed to dial these amps in so they sound great all around with minimal tweaks.

I have used both and they are very good, organized well, and each preset has a range of usable scene options. Even with the revised Factory presets- I find I use the AB presets most all of the time. Highly recommend. I really can't say which I like better to be honest.

I've been looking at other threads before writing this but they were not explicitly saying what was their main use with one the tonepacks would be. If you need me to give you more details let me know

Cheers
Hi @refraktr: I do talk a little about the difference in my LiveGold video between the two. Maybe this will help.

1400+ Naked Amps - uses two amps and two cabs. Just two banks. Can use up to four cabs in a preset to get a sound. Has some presets designed just for single coils (designated by an asterisk * in preset or scene name). It's just available for the III for now, but an FM9 version is in the works (will only use two cab IRs per cab though, not the four the III can) - and will be included in same future download as the III (you get both when you buy one). Can't make for the FM3, because that only allows 1 amp and 1 cab block per preset.

Has some bonus presets and a few bass amp presets. Came out originally when Axe-FX III was released with firmware 1 version, then updated to fw5-6-, fw11-12 , fw 15-16, and now Bank 1 is updated to Cygnus 17.02 and Bank 2 is coming early 2022.

The FW 15 update added the same amp control CS switches found on the Live Gold TonePack, plus a compressor/limiter after the Cab block.

It was made on Atomic NEO CLRs but set up as studio monitors, not as a live gig. The Bank 1 Cygnus update was done on ATC 25 SCMS pro mixing monitors (expen$ive), which I bought after talking to both Eddie Kramer (Hendrix, Stones, Zep, everyone) and Elliott Scheiner (Eagles, Steely Dan) at NAMM 2020 pre-pandemic.

So in that way, the Naked Amps are set up to record as is - but to fit the tone into a full band mix, you may have to cut some lows with a filer on your DAW channel set to 125Hz-150Hz.

1000+ Live Gold was designed on a FM3 originally (fw1.x - now on fw 4.x) and was designed for people who play live. Meaning, I didn't use studio monitors to dial in. Instead, I put two Atomic Neo CLRs (one on top of one on the ground) about 10-12 feet away from me and played every sound at gig volume - over 92db loud, they way I would use it live.

I added more effects, and for most amps made scenes 1-4 go from clean to lo gain to rhythm (main) to lead, and Scenes 5-8 include a filter block boost so you could use single coil guitars in same preset on Scene 5-8, or just just them as a boosted sound with humbuckers.

There's a little more bass in the Live Gold presets, just like a real amp on stage would have. But that can be cut easy and they used for recording and work great. As with Naked Amps, you may have to cut some lows with a filer on your DAW channel set to 150Hz or thereabouts. Guitars' "meat" lives in the 200Hz to 500 Hz range, and the rest of the EQ tone definition is up to about 3.3kHz and not much more after that. Most real guitar cab speakers don't go above 6.5kHz in frequency output, and don't need to.

I then first used the CS controllers 2 to 6 attached to the amp block, so you could use a foot controller live and play with amp boost, fat, saturation, brite reverse, and low cut if you wanted. Amp Boost (CS2) is especially useful - it wakes some amps like Marshalls up so they sing and roar. So I put notes in "try Cs2, or CS5" etc by some scenes.

There are no bass amps in Live Gold, because I offer 200+ Bass TonePack now.

Live Gold is available on all three platforms -- the III, the FM3, and the new FM9 (and you get all three versions no matter which one you buy), and it is updated to the public Cygnus firmware for all of them. When people ask me which to buy, I tell them LiveGold, because it is the latest and better organized than Naked Amps. I think some of the modern/meal amps are better on Live Gold. Mark Holcomb of Periphery contributed a few, sitting in my studio with his PRS.

But Naked Amps IS cool (as comments above attest). I appreciate the kudos gents! Now, back to work on updating Bank 2 of Naked Amps, (aka "how AustinBuddy spent his December 2021" -ha!).

Last edited:
Enjoying AB's Live Gold FM3 presets...but does anyone know if the layout issue for the control switches has been fixed? It was not included when purchased because of a bug in Fractal land. Going to just start building my own but thought I would ask first? Like to use AB's layout...much simpler and already baked ...
Use the layouts it first came with - it should work now. It wasn't a layout issue, but a firmware issue that was fixed.

I love that you guys get these are presets are all base tones - and that you do the last mile for your own hands and guitars and pickups, but I've saved you tons of time in putting them together, and gotten you great starting tones in the ballpark that are indicative of each amp's DNA or "thing that it does." But the magic comes from you. I basically dialed in each amp/scene and cab until I find a tone that inspired me, then hit SAVE. Just like you would.

Back
Top Bottom