Naked amps vs Live Gold ( which is more suitable for home recording ?)

Making good progress on updating Bank 2, finishing up the Dumble styles (Dumble-Ojai-Fuchs) next 48 hours. Sorry this is taking so long but I have to rearrange all the cabs in every preset so they will work on an FM9 version.

Sometimes I am picking a better cab than I did the first time. Some presets use 3 or even 4 cabs and the FM9 will only use two. So all that stuff slows me down.

Then I need to go back through Bank 1 to fix any updated compressors that firmware 18 changed.

I feel good about having it all done before end of January, if not sooner. When complete the full update will be firmware 18 version. Will keep ya'll posted.

Last edited:
Making good progress on updating Bank 2, finishing up the Dumble styles (Dumble-Ojai-Fuchs) next 48 hours. Sorry this is taking so long but I have to rearrange all the cabs in every preset so they will work on an FM9 version.

Sometimes I am picking a better cab than I did the first time. Some presets use 3 or even 4 cabs and the FM9 will only use two. So all that stuff slows me down.

Then I need to go back through Bank 1 to fix any updated compressors that firmware 18 changed.

I feel good about having it all done before end of January, if not sooner. When complete the full update will be firmware 18 version. Will keep ya'll posted.
Nice!

Will there be an FM9 Naked Amps?
There is a plan to make an FM9 Naked Amps, but right now the FM9-Editor is crashing on me when I try to import the Axe-FX III Naked amps into the FM9 to test them out. Fractal knows about the issue. That FM9 editor problem has to be fixed before I can produce the FM9 Naked Amps. That's my hold up for now. Should be pretty fast to get it together once that is out. I may release as a "beta" and let you guys check them out and report any issues, because I don't have time to actually check all 1400 unique scene sounds in the FM9, but 95%+ of them should work perfectly.

Once the editor import issue is fixed and I can test them, I'll create the FM( Naked Amp bank files and then add an FM( specific folder into the existing download zip file. So, you'll get an FM9 version and an Axe-FX III versions, regardless of which one you bought (you get both).

There won't be one for the FM3 though, because Naked Amps requires two amp block and two cabs, and FM3 does not provide for that,

Hey @austinbuddy, I have the Live Gold pack for my FM9 since the Naked Amps were not available for the FM9 when I got it. So far, I do really like the sounds I am getting, but I play pretty much only through headphones at the moment (Sennheiser HD650) and am wondering if the Naked Amps pack would be better tuned for headphone playing. To my understanding, playing through headphones would be more similar to how the Naked Amps pack was leveled when compared to the Live Gold being more leveled for loud, live playing which I don't do. Since the Naked Amps are now available for the FM9, I am just wondering if I am missing out on potentially better sounds for my situation. Thanks in advance for any insight/advice!

Hey @austinbuddy, I have the Live Gold pack for my FM9 since the Naked Amps were not available for the FM9 when I got it. So far, I do really like the sounds I am getting, but I play pretty much only through headphones at the moment (Sennheiser HD650) and am wondering if the Naked Amps pack would be better tuned for headphone playing. To my understanding, playing through headphones would be more similar to how the Naked Amps pack was leveled when compared to the Live Gold being more leveled for loud, live playing which I don't do. Since the Naked Amps are now available for the FM9, I am just wondering if I am missing out on potentially better sounds for my situation. Thanks in advance for any insight/advice!
Headphones will not give you the same satisfaction as playing a through a speaker in a room, even if low volume (sadly). I don’t think there is a major difference in headphones between the two TonePacks so I can’t in good conscience tell you Naked Amps would be more pleasing in headphones than LiveGold. But I can say if you like LiveGold sounds, you would also really like Naked Amps sounds.

Also - put that new KLONE drive block (once in FM9 firmware) before any amp while in your headphones and it will sound better. Swear to God.

Last edited:
Headphones will not give you the same satisfaction as playing a through a speaker in a room, even if low volume (sadly). I don’t think there is a major difference in headphones between the two TonePacks so I can’t in good conscience tell you Naked Amps would be more pleasing in headphones than LiveGold. But I can say if you like LiveGold sounds, you would also really like Naked Amps sounds.

Also - put that new KLONE drive block (once in FM9 firmware) before any amp and it will sound better. Swear to God.
Thank you for your honesty! Ya, unfortunately, due to living situations, headphones are my only option at the moment, but that will change eventually and I'll be able to fully take advantage of these sounds. Honestly will probably get the Naked Amps pack later down the road just since these LiveGold presets are so cool, but good to know I am not necessarily missing out on something better at the moment.
I really can't wait for the new Klone block! John Cordy and Leon Todd's videos got me so excited.

I have both packs, play with headphones (HD650) and IEMs regularly when not in the band room.
I prefer live gold, the bass seems a bit much on headphones sometimes, but HD650s do have a bump in the low end. Overall it translates really well to any scenario, so I don’t have to second guess anything.

I have both packs, play with headphones (HD650) and IEMs regularly when not in the band room.
I prefer live gold, the bass seems a bit much on headphones sometimes, but HD650s do have a bump in the low end. Overall it translates really well to any scenario, so I don’t have to second guess anything.
Thanks for the input! Good to know from someone who has experience with the same setup!

Back
Top Bottom