NAD: Port City Pearl 100w

grantcooper2

Inspired
I have had nearly every kind of setup you could imagine with the AxeFX Ultra/II.
Atomic Powered wedge, FRFR Mackie HD1531, Atomic 5050+Cab, Matrix GT1000FX (second favourite!), 4CM with an EVH 5153 Mini, Carvin TS100...and finally, directly through the front of my newly acquired Port City Pearl 100w amp.

This, my fellow forum friends, is it. Now I know this is all subjective but I must say, out of every playing experience I have had with the AxeFX - this is the most fun. And to me, that is the most important thing. It is the most lively, dynamic, musical, and organic playing experience. A bunch of terms that mean different things to different people, but to me it means a fun, rewarding, and most-enjoyable-with-the-axe-fx-yet experience. Not to mention this is by far the best clean tone I have ever heard/played. A great studio amp, and a perfect pedal platform.

I have been working with Daniel from Port City Amplification for many years though I should mention that I am not endorsed by PC, I just really love Daniels work. I have had numerous versions of the 2x12 OS, and he was always trying to convince me to pull the trigger on a Port City Pearl for my AxeFX rig. I just wish I had of listened to him sooner! Clips/videos/more photos to come very soon! I AM STOKED!

I've got a couple questions for you. The owner of Port City stated on his website that his favorite rig was a Pearl 100 with an Axe-Fx Ultra using the 4CM, why did you choose straight in to the front instead?
Also I've been considering the 100 for about a year now but the website only gives the physical dimensions of the Pearl 50, are the dimensions (in inches) the same for the 100?

Do you still use amp modeling with this setup?

Absolutely, with poweramp sim on. I route my signal to output 2 before the CAB block and that goes out to my cab. The signal also goes to the CAB block and to output 1 to FOH.

I've got a couple questions for you. The owner of Port City stated on his website that his favorite rig was a Pearl 100 with an Axe-Fx Ultra using the 4CM, why did you choose straight in to the front instead?
Also I've been considering the 100 for about a year now but the website only gives the physical dimensions of the Pearl 50, are the dimensions (in inches) the same for the 100?

Not sure where you saw him say 4CM as he encourages everyone to run directly into the front of the amp with the AxeFX, regardless of whether the Pearl has an FX Loop or not (mine does)...also I am fairly certain he hasn't had an Ultra for a few years now and is on the AxeFX II.
Daniel specifically designed this as a pedal platform amp with the AxeFX as a key element when designing it. He doesn't say too many specifics about it as I am sure he doesn't want to give away the "secrets" of what make this amp so good with the AxeFX. I often questioned "why the front of the amp" as to me it went against everything I have learned about running different kinds of FX but he always stated that was the way to do it with the AxeFX and that is how he designed it to be run.

A direct quote: "The voltage in the preamp section along with the tone stack makes the Pearl unique {for the axe fx}"

Maybe he will chime in at some point and expand on the discussion as I am no expert :)

EDIT: As far as dimensions I believe they are indeed the same but I would have to confirm with Daniel. Judging by photos of how mine looks compared to other 50w Pearls on the same cab...looks identical.

Last edited:
Just got a used Mesa 20/20 in the mail. It sounds stellar. Can't afford a port city so this is a good compromise for me. Your rig looks stunning.

Been using a Bryston 3B NRB which replaced my GTX1000 into a 4X12 Mesa Recto cab. ended up really missing the tube power amp/cab combo and I am quite happy to be back.
you must be in heaven with that thing.

Let me make sure that I have this straight: You are still using the Cab Block for FOH (running direct out of the Axe FX), but for your backline, you're playing the Axe FX direct into your Pearl into the 2x12 OS (with no Cab Block), correct?

That's a cool set up. I can definitely see the appeal in it. I imagine that's more for yourself than the audience, of course. It does eliminate the need for a personal stage monitor. Makes me want to play through that rig just to try it.

So in your experience, you like the color and feel of the PC Pearl into a real cab over other Amp/Cab combinations and FRFR systems?

Just got a used Mesa 20/20 in the mail. It sounds stellar. Can't afford a port city so this is a good compromise for me. Your rig looks stunning.

Been using a Bryston 3B NRB which replaced my GTX1000 into a 4X12 Mesa Recto cab. ended up really missing the tube power amp/cab combo and I am quite happy to be back.
you must be in heaven with that thing.

Nice man, I have always wanted to try the Mesa 20/20 but feared the EL84s and low wattage just wouldn't be good for the 8 string songs we play. Did you not really like the GT1000FX? I thought it was a pretty great unit, probably my favorite poweramp I had...but nothing compared to the Pearl :)

Let me make sure that I have this straight: You are still using the Cab Block for FOH (running direct out of the Axe FX), but for your backline, you're playing the Axe FX direct into your Pearl into the 2x12 OS (with no Cab Block), correct?

That's a cool set up. I can definitely see the appeal in it. I imagine that's more for yourself than the audience, of course. It does eliminate the need for a personal stage monitor. Makes me want to play through that rig just to try it.

So in your experience, you like the color and feel of the PC Pearl into a real cab over other Amp/Cab combinations and FRFR systems?

That is correct, sir! It is definitely more for my personal listening/experience for jamming and live. Gives a great stage volume sound as well which for us and the venues we play gives a better experience in general both for the band and the audience. I love everything about this setup. Originally my thinking was "I need FRFR for the full frequency range" but in actuality, I didn't find myself using that full frequency range for the more out there sub tones or high tones with crazy FX. So I just wanted to be a regular guitar player again so-to-speak haha.

I REALLLLLLY want to play through that rig.

Do you still use the power amp emulation through the Pearl? Or preamp only?

No, the GTX1000 is a good amp. This particular bryston model just has more warmth really, perhaps a bit more punch. An accidental find.

Really liking the 20/20. Power wise it may not be enough for some things. It's more than enough for personal use and jam sessions. I Messed around with the preamp and PI tubes a bit and got some more clean headroom and dialed in the tone a bit. Certainly worth the money. Looks like the Fryette LXII is getting closer to reality. They have completed a burn in test with the new redesigned prototype.

definitely would love to try out a Pearl....don't have the cash right now though.

I've got the 212 OS and I run it essentially dry in most patches, just whatever is in front of the amp and the amp itself through fx loop. I run the "wet" signal chain through JBL EON 515s. I love the dry sound through 212, it really stands on its own. I'll eventually get two CLRs for my wet sound.

Really liking the 20/20. Power wise it may not be enough for some things. It's more than enough for personal use and jam sessions.

Are you running it (20/20) at 4 ohms into a Recto cab?

I find it has just enough to do the job with the band at 4 ohms, but I could easily see where you'd want more. I have 2:Ninety too, which hands down has the headroom, but it's heavy as hell and I'm trying to strike a balance.

I also share your view on the Matrix, and also went back to tubes. However, I'm heavily considering the powered CLR's now, but I really would like to play through a pair before I buy them. (I know I could ship them back if I don't like them, but at 45lb a piece I'm not dealing with that hassle and cost).

I am. Its great for what I'm doing right now.

I owned a CLR pair and didn't like them. I've stated my opinions around here and it is laborious and pointless, so I'll just say that for me they take away too much from what tubes and real cabs do. The whole FRFR solid state thing just isn't working for me outside of recording into my system. Then it becomes a far better option as opposed to micing a cab, for which I'm not well equipped or patient with.

It will run you a couple hundred in shipping costs if you don't like them. I made the mistake of trying to like them past the 30 day period and lost $500. bummer for me...:sorrow:

Very nice, man. Would love to hear this setup.

BTW, what kind of rack case is that? Maybe it's just the picture, but it looks like it's about as shallow and low profile as a 4 unit rack can be and still be able to house an Axe. I'm getting ready to finally move from the Ultra to the Axe II/XL and since they're slightly deeper than an Ultra, I need a new rack that's hopefully as shallow as possible. I'm trying to avoid something that hangs way off the back of my Matrix Q12a. Thanks.

Absolutely, with poweramp sim on. I route my signal to output 2 before the CAB block and that goes out to my cab. The signal also goes to the CAB block and to output 1 to FOH.

Not sure where you saw him say 4CM as he encourages everyone to run directly into the front of the amp with the AxeFX, regardless of whether the Pearl has an FX Loop or not (mine does)...also I am fairly certain he hasn't had an Ultra for a few years now and is on the AxeFX II.
Daniel specifically designed this as a pedal platform amp with the AxeFX as a key element when designing it. He doesn't say too many specifics about it as I am sure he doesn't want to give away the "secrets" of what make this amp so good with the AxeFX. I often questioned "why the front of the amp" as to me it went against everything I have learned about running different kinds of FX but he always stated that was the way to do it with the AxeFX and that is how he designed it to be run.

A direct quote: "The voltage in the preamp section along with the tone stack makes the Pearl unique {for the axe fx}"

Maybe he will chime in at some point and expand on the discussion as I am no expert :)

EDIT: As far as dimensions I believe they are indeed the same but I would have to confirm with Daniel. Judging by photos of how mine looks compared to other 50w Pearls on the same cab...looks identical.

Looks awesome and I'm sure it sounds awesome too!

I'm running it with a GT800FX. So your amp is essentially acting as a Matrix power amp, no? The routing is the same as using a Matrix? This is something I'm willing to try. Thanks!

Very nice, man. Would love to hear this setup.

BTW, what kind of rack case is that? Maybe it's just the picture, but it looks like it's about as shallow and low profile as a 4 unit rack can be and still be able to house an Axe. I'm getting ready to finally move from the Ultra to the Axe II/XL and since they're slightly deeper than an Ultra, I need a new rack that's hopefully as shallow as possible. I'm trying to avoid something that hangs way off the back of my Matrix Q12a. Thanks.

It is this one: CaseMakers CMRM1404U 4 Unit Road Rack for 19" Rack Effects 14" Depth - Axe Music - The #1 Store for Guitars in Canada - Buy Now (Free Shipping)

Hi guys. Just to clear up a few things. The first Pearl (V2) I did use the 4CM. However I found everything sounded better in the front of the amp. I then changed the FX loop portion of the circuit along with how I use the Ax Fx. I personally do not use the cab sims when I am playing into one of the Wave cabs. I do use the pedal and amp sims almost all the time. If there is anything else I can help any of you with you can email me directly at daniel@portcityamps.com. Thanks.

Daniel
Port City Amps

Hi guys. Just to clear up a few things. The first Pearl (V2) I did use the 4CM. However I found everything sounded better in the front of the amp. I then changed the FX loop portion of the circuit along with how I use the Ax Fx. I personally do not use the cab sims when I am playing into one of the Wave cabs. I do use the pedal and amp sims almost all the time. If there is anything else I can help any of you with you can email me directly at daniel@portcityamps.com. Thanks.

Daniel
Port City Amps

Daniel- any chance you might share a couple of your presets that you run straight into the amp with? I've been meaning to try this into my vintage BF Fender amps for a while now and never have made time for it. Just curious to see the specifics as far as what you've found works for you. I realize my BF amps are likely a bit different than your amp's front end and tone stack.. just curious hwo you approach this considering your knowledge with amp design, etc.

Back
Top Bottom