NAD: Mesa Mark Five:25

Deadpool_25

Fractal Fanatic
After watching a couple of YouTube videos repeatedly, I was having some serious GAS for a Mesa Mark Five:25. I was lusting after something ultra versatile, great sounding, and fairly simple. As much as I love the Axe FX, there's something more visceral feeling to me about a tube amp.

There ended up being three videos that convinced me the V:25 could be what I was looking for. Between the Timmons Demo, the Petrucci Demo, and the Autonomist video, I thought the amp had potential to play any genre (jazz, blues, funk, rock, fusion, metal, etc.) and do it very well. Of course, YouTube videos don't (can't) really give you a feeling for what and amp will really be like--you gotta try it out in person.

I found one for sale in Craigslist. It came with a matching 1x12 slant cab. I didn't need the cab but the guy didn't want to split them up. No problem, I picked up the mini half stack. After just a few days, I can say it is exactly what I was looking for. Sounds great with various guitars and has very easy to dial tones across all modes. It's also, like most tube amps, quite loud. However, it sounds very good even at lower volumes. I've been plugged right into the front and just using a touch of onboard reverb. I love it.

If I had to pick one thing I think could be better, I'd say I wish it was midi controllable so you could switch between modes from a foot controller. It doesn't matter for me since I'm just playing at home, but I could see that being useful.

Side note: I went ahead and got on the wait list for an FX8. :D. In the meantime I might just throw a delay pedal in the loop and go with it. Doesn't really need anything else IMO.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 16
I have been using a Mark V25 for almost two years and am currently in the process of changing over to an AX8. The Mesa is a great amp and the built in cab clone sealed the deal for me originally. My band members and I all use IEMs and we have pared things down to practically having no stage volume at all as well as running our own monitor mixes. We're a sound tech's wet dream! Still, the cab clone alone was missing something for me. It sounds a little too "direct" even with added reverb etc. I'm hoping the AX8's modeling will help provide some dimension while still allowing me to run direct (i.e. no stage volume). Not to mention the ease of use with the AX8 once I get all my sounds and scenes programmed in there. Ideally though, I'm still going to hold on to the Mesa and get a small cab for jamming and home use. Nothing beats that real tube warmth with a live speaker but having no stage volume has made things too convenient to go back. No one has to tell me to turn down anymore! Glad you're loving your Mesa though. Best of luck with it.

Back
Top Bottom