NAD----Guytron FV-100, anyone ?

bradlake

Axe-Master
2f4f8d_63c59d3b46b8ad1c639f7480572d5d0b.jpg 2f4f8d_63c59d3b46b8ad1c639f7480572d5d0b.jpg 2f4f8d_9cb224604a5669c739f20ce63b13d1ba.jpg My recent rediscovery of the mysterious appeal of physical hot tubes due to the successful use of my LB-2 X-Load (which should really be designated a forum section of its own..IMO) has ignited my GAS as I FEARED. So incoming is a fresh -off -the bench beast that Ive coveted since Ive seen Jon Herrington use it to great affect with Steely Dan over the last couple decades,
and the excellent MBritt Kemper Profiles of it proved to me it's D*mbleesque appeal, so ..here it comes..! Anyone out there with experience with this? 2f4f8d_9cb224604a5669c739f20ce63b13d1ba.jpg

I remember reading about these amps maybe 10 or more years ago. I liked the idea of the different power sections... Don't remember details, but would be cool to get some fresh blood in the box!

I've had an original version of the GT-100 off and on for the past ten years now. I currently have a VERY original Rev B in my home that's so original it's missing a serial number. I would love it if it got modeled in the AFX as this is quite possibly the heaviest amp head ever built.

My current version seems to have a lot more gain on the A channel than I remember from the last one I owned, so I might get it checked out by Graydon one of these days to make sure it's not wrong.

Note that as this is a patented design, the circuit diagram for it is actually public domain and freely available. So if someone were willing to send their amp to Cliff, the schematic is freely available. Not sure how that would work within Cliff's modeling algorithms as it's a slaved 18watt EL84 power amp going into a 100watt EL34 power amp, with two EQs (one in the preamp and one in the poweramp). There isn't really any other amp out there quite like this design. Cliff could probably get most of the way there by modeling the 18watt section and tone stack as the 100watt section is just a clean power amp meant to amplify the 18watt section that's running in the "sweet spot" for those tubes. The idea behind this amp was to get EL84 power tube saturation at any volume level, and on that front it delivers perfectly.

I've had an original version of the GT-100 off and on for the past ten years now. I currently have a VERY original Rev B in my home that's so original it's missing a serial number. I would love it if it got modeled in the AFX as this is quite possibly the heaviest amp head ever built.

My current version seems to have a lot more gain on the A channel than I remember from the last one I owned, so I might get it checked out by Graydon one of these days to make sure it's not wrong.

Note that as this is a patented design, the circuit diagram for it is actually public domain and freely available. So if someone were willing to send their amp to Cliff, the schematic is freely available. Not sure how that would work within Cliff's modeling algorithms as it's a slaved 18watt EL84 power amp going into a 100watt EL34 power amp, with two EQs (one in the preamp and one in the poweramp). There isn't really any other amp out there quite like this design.
I’ve been in communication with Graydon this am, and he shared with me pics/video of mine still on the bench, but I heard it and it’s bitchen, but he told me on this one the clean channel puts out 100W and and the dirty, cranked, does nearly 200w..
.which may screw up my plan for use of it with my LB-2 ....whaddya think, @FractalAudio ?...

Hopefully Cliff chimes in, but I can offer some tips in the meantime.

It’s not necessary to crank the GT-100 to get power tube distortion. The EL84 section into the built in dummy load handles that. The EL34 section of this amp is dialed in very clean since it’s only meant to make the EL84 section louder.

You can also bypass the LB-2 altogether by running the FX Send into the Axe with just a cab block. That operates with the amp on standby if I recall accurately. The FX loop is after the EL84 section but before the EL34 section, so you’ll get the full power amp tone experience. You won’t get the master EQ, but you can replicate that with an EQ block in the Axe (and the single tone knob on each channel is EXTREMELY versatile!). Also, the loop is a cool design; it’s a parallel / series hybrid, so when you’re at 12:00 on the Loop knob it’s parallel, and maxed out is series.

Hope that helps, you’ll really enjoy the amp when you get it! Try running the Axe through the power section via the FX return, too. The GT-100 will make it sound amazing :)

I've been interested in this amp for a long time for reasons mentioned and a few of mine own - congrats!

Always thought it'd be fun to explore it in the axe-fx. Maybe that could be on the horizon.

Jeez Brad. You have a nice boneyard of pedal gear there.

I wanted to try one of these years ago when they came out. It's an interesting idea. In theory you could build any tone with 2 EQ's and as I remember, you can blend the power sections (someone check me on that.)

No idea how you'd model it. But I wouldn't be sad if it was added to the FAS stable.

Jeez Brad. You have a nice boneyard of pedal gear there.

I wanted to try one of these years ago when they came out. It's an interesting idea. In theory you could build any tone with 2 EQ's and as I remember, you can blend the power sections (someone check me on that.)

No idea how you'd model it. But I wouldn't be sad if it was added to the FAS stable.
if it wasnt my understanding that amps that go into cliff’s lair do not come out , id be happy to ship it over... and you are correct about the general function, in its way, more similar to our AxeFx than most amps.

Back
Top Bottom