NAD Fryette LXII Power Amplifier

I picked one up recently as well; perhaps 4 weeks ago. I'm keeping mine to be used specifically with a Marshall SV vertical 2x12 that I've loaded with an Celestion Alinco Cream and an Eminence Swamp Thang (I know, curious combo). In comparison to the SD 170 I've used for 3-4 years, the Fryette has a bigger sonic footprint: lower and more powerful lows, more open top end. While the SD170's EQ can sort of get that happening, it's just a more mid-forward sound (that I actually prefer with a different 1x12 openback). Running bridged, the lower mids seem to fill out a little bit more compared to stereo mode on one channel. In combination with Cygnus, I'm digging the tones overall. Most of what I play is one the cleaner side of things compared to a lot of Fractal users; no metal unless I'm goofing around. Most of my tones rarely get heavier than the Comet or Soldano models with the gain no higher than 6. That said, I could see it pleasing those who want a lot of power on tap and a big sound overall.

The flexibility is great, with separate settings for the presence, depth, and speaker loads, and two standby switches for each channel. I briefly messed with running the 2x12 (4 ohms) and 1x12 (8 ohms) at the same time, and could balance the two out from the AXE as needed. I'm actually glad there aren't two separate volumes for each channel.

I wish that the inputs could accept a balanced signal. unbalanced TS only. I haven't used the line level pass throughs for anything. One could conceivably run 4 cabs as two stereo pairs.

I had previously tried the Fryette PS2, but for some reason I wasn't impressed enough to keep it. I don't know how they compare head to head, so maybe it was my preferences that changed.

3 downsides: expensive, heavy, and very loud fan. The first, I can imagine being pleased with something like the SD at 1/4 of the cost; I was for years and only picked this up because I wanted to try it. But I've got the 0% finance and have no other big debt to deal with so... Second, it is heavy. I probably won't permanently put it in the rack with the AX3 because there will be times I'll take the SD170 and 1x12, and don't want the extra 27ish pounds. But if the gig is long and loud enough (and I don't have to bring the PA), then I'll be cool with hauling it out. Years ago I regularly used a Peavey CS800x power amp; this isn't that heavy, but.... Third, the fan is loud. Once you get playing (especially with any drumming louder than brushes) you won't hear it. But this is not meant to be a bedroom setup. It has two speeds and the idle is louder than any other gear I have with it unracked and sitting on top of my Ax rack. When it kicks up higher, I would say it's comparable to other loud stage gear like hazer fans and the like. If you find the Ax fan annoying, this is not the amp for you.

I don't think a lot of players would gravitate towards it for those reasons. Nor is it an easy piece to purchase as far as I can tell. But I'm happy with it and think that like some of the old-style Fryette/Mesa/Marshall power amps, it has its place.

I picked one up recently as well; perhaps 4 weeks ago. I'm keeping mine to be used specifically with a Marshall SV vertical 2x12 that I've loaded with an Celestion Alinco Cream and an Eminence Swamp Thang (I know, curious combo). In comparison to the SD 170 I've used for 3-4 years, the Fryette has a bigger sonic footprint: lower and more powerful lows, more open top end. While the SD170's EQ can sort of get that happening, it's just a more mid-forward sound (that I actually prefer with a different 1x12 openback). Running bridged, the lower mids seem to fill out a little bit more compared to stereo mode on one channel. In combination with Cygnus, I'm digging the tones overall. Most of what I play is one the cleaner side of things compared to a lot of Fractal users; no metal unless I'm goofing around. Most of my tones rarely get heavier than the Comet or Soldano models with the gain no higher than 6. That said, I could see it pleasing those who want a lot of power on tap and a big sound overall.

The flexibility is great, with separate settings for the presence, depth, and speaker loads, and two standby switches for each channel. I briefly messed with running the 2x12 (4 ohms) and 1x12 (8 ohms) at the same time, and could balance the two out from the AXE as needed. I'm actually glad there aren't two separate volumes for each channel.

I wish that the inputs could accept a balanced signal. unbalanced TS only. I haven't used the line level pass throughs for anything. One could conceivably run 4 cabs as two stereo pairs.

I had previously tried the Fryette PS2, but for some reason I wasn't impressed enough to keep it. I don't know how they compare head to head, so maybe it was my preferences that changed.

3 downsides: expensive, heavy, and very loud fan. The first, I can imagine being pleased with something like the SD at 1/4 of the cost; I was for years and only picked this up because I wanted to try it. But I've got the 0% finance and have no other big debt to deal with so... Second, it is heavy. I probably won't permanently put it in the rack with the AX3 because there will be times I'll take the SD170 and 1x12, and don't want the extra 27ish pounds. But if the gig is long and loud enough (and I don't have to bring the PA), then I'll be cool with hauling it out. Years ago I regularly used a Peavey CS800x power amp; this isn't that heavy, but.... Third, the fan is loud. Once you get playing (especially with any drumming louder than brushes) you won't hear it. But this is not meant to be a bedroom setup. It has two speeds and the idle is louder than any other gear I have with it unracked and sitting on top of my Ax rack. When it kicks up higher, I would say it's comparable to other loud stage gear like hazer fans and the like. If you find the Ax fan annoying, this is not the amp for you.

I don't think a lot of players would gravitate towards it for those reasons. Nor is it an easy piece to purchase as far as I can tell. But I'm happy with it and think that like some of the old-style Fryette/Mesa/Marshall power amps, it has its place.

The fan bugged me. You don’t hear it whilst playing of course, but it was extremely loud whilst editing and doing things other than playing. They have upgraded the fans on them and the newer versions are not as loud but also much better managed in that they only go into turbo mode every now and again whereas the original fans seemed to be in turbo mode most of the time. You should check with their tech support as to which fans you have. I found them to be very helpful and they sent me two new fans for mine which have been a big improvement.

They have also changed the fuses they use for the Powerstation II if anyone has one of those. I blew fuses frequently but haven’t blown one at all since installing the new fuses (F2A).

How are people running this? I’ve been experimenting with my SYN5050 which is a very similar power amp. I’ve tried it with resonance and presence turned off on the Synergy and the power amp modeling turned on on the FM3. I’ve also tried adjusting the resonance and presence to taste on the Synergy and turning off the power amp modeling.

Just curious to hear what has worked for others.

How are people running this? I’ve been experimenting with my SYN5050 which is a very similar power amp. I’ve tried it with resonance and presence turned off on the Synergy and the power amp modeling turned on on the FM3. I’ve also tried adjusting the resonance and presence to taste on the Synergy and turning off the power amp modeling.

Just curious to hear what has worked for others.
I tried it with power amp modeling on that's how I ran the axe with my mv-962 to guitar cab

So finally over the weekend I had a chance to hook up the amp only to spend most of my time trouble shooting why it wasn't working in stereo. After swapping cables to the input I verified both channels of the amp were working. With a few more swaps I verifies both L/R out puts from output3 on the Axe were working... So I was hoping it was just a bad cable, a few more swaps and I verified all the cables were fine. I finally narrowed it down to one of the stereo inputs on my 2x12 cab. I went ahead and hooked it up in mono but didn't get to spend much time playing through it. I will say this, when the fan goes to turbo mode it is loud... in normal mode the fan is ok but in turbo mode it reminded of an old Nady power amp I had 15 years ago that sounded like 747 taking off when I turned it on... I'm hoping to have more time this week or next weekend to do some comparisons with my Mosvavle mv-962 and see how it fares.

Back
Top Bottom