Mysterious ways help!

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Copied online YouTube of guy showing how to program an Ultra with mysterious ways. Did that before on standard and sounded great. Tried to copy the settings on my axe 2 and didn't sound the same. Menus have changed and wondered if anyone has programmed the axe 2 with good results?

To be honest you may struggle to find one a decent one, i have seen a couple of presets floating around for the II, but nothing really useable at the moment!

What about uploading what you have and let people take a look..Raca is excellent at tweaking, so is Don..but he doesn't have the II yet unfortunately!

I duplicated the settings on that video with my Ultra. It sounded nothing like his clip at all, and nothing like the record. So I built one from scratch. It only sounds right with the guitar I used to make it. If I change guitars, I have to tweak the preset. I've seen nothing for the II.

I have a Mysterious Ways patch I am still tweaking. I started from the Ultra version but didn't like the way it sounded as much as I did on the Ultra. Plus the old version was never quite there. It was missing the whooshing sound at the end.

I decided to try using an envelope controller to control the wah instead of a low-pass filter. I am playing around with the envelope release settings to get the whoosh. It is currently very sensitive to variations in pickups and attack so it will probably need tweaking to sound right for you. Try the envelope thresh and gain settings and the wah level and freq settings.

This is a work in progress, but will give you another starting point if you want to tweak.

Attachments

• Mysterious Ways.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 67
Anyone else.....I have never downloaded someone else's patches so I'm not fluent in that yet(will try in future). Anyone that write what they did paraeter wise to make the patch more realistic?

Please please please.....any tips? I can NOT get it to sound as good as the patch in my STANDARD! Band was like..."just sell the new unit and go back to old unit.....". Need help!

Have you tried the uploaded patch by Rickbot?

You say you have never downloaded someone else's patches..but you are asking for someone to write down their parameters..

Would it not be more logical for you to learn how to upload patches yourself, and have the ability to do so once and for all, rather than someone spend as much time writing all the parameters down as it would for you to learn how to download a patch?

It really is a 5 minute learning curve..if you use a mac i will do a screen recording for you, to show you how it is done in just a few seconds.

It may not be a patch that really helps you, but at least you will be able to upload and try different ones for yourself.

[video=facebook;2688373161621]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2688373161621[/video]

Last edited:
Have you tried the uploaded patch by Rickbot?

You say you have never downloaded someone else's patches..but you are asking for someone to write down their parameters..

Would it not be more logical for you to learn how to upload patches yourself, and have the ability to so once and for all, rather than someone spend as much time writing all the parameters down as it would for you to learn how to upload a patch?

It really is a 5 minute learning curve..if you use a mac i will do a screen recording for you, to show you how it is done in just a few seconds.

It may not be a patch that really helps you, but at least you will be able to upload and try different ones for yourself.

[video=facebook;2688373161621]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2688373161621[/video]

Good point....I do have a Mac.....I'll do it this weekend. I was not ask for every setting...just the ones that make the biggest env filter changes. Thanks!

Good point....I do have a Mac.....I'll do it this weekend. I was not ask for every setting...just the ones that make the biggest env filter changes. Thanks!

No worries! :)

This is the best Mysterious Ways patch i have heard to date, from the u2 tutorials site, but it is for the Standard/Ultra.

It may help you recreate the patch on the II.

A clip of the patch.

Last edited:
Mysterious Ways Patch

Here is the patch I made for this song. It is set up for FRFR (we use K12s). It is very sensitive to input gain. I have a homemade mahogany body maple carve-top with a JB (passive, high output) in the bridge and single coil middle and neck. To use this preset, I either coil tap the bridge, or use the middle, and maybe cut the volume on the guitar a bit. I'm using Euro Blue instead of AC30 to get some of that gain sound in the actual song.

Just used it Saturday and it worked out well. Let me know what you think.

View attachment Mysterious Ways(3).syx

I think this is what you are looking for. This is a juiced up, gained up version of the
Mysterious Wahs patch I posted on my thread.

The effect you are wanting to hear is called a "notched envelope". It comes from
inverting the Filter block's Frequency and "Q" LFO slopes. The Freq slope must be
0% to 100%, the Q 100% to 0% (L to R). You must "cross the streams"! This gives you
the hard "wow" envelope sound heard on the Korg A3 patch.

Attachments

• Mysterious Wahs v2.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom