Myka guitars

Kingjimmi

Inspired
Anybody have any experience with Myka guitars? I've been admiring them from the internet, but have never managed to get my hands on one in person. There are two up on eBay right now and I'm seriously tempted by them.

If anybody has any experience with a Myka guitar I'd love to hear about it. Talk me into buying one of the guitars or talk me off the fence!!!

I'm looking at this one: 2005 Dragonfly Deluxe #037

Edit:
I think the guitar for sale is the same one from this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkxXdaIWgro

Not to pull a RR, but I had a boatload of cash saved up for a custom Myka build, but then I bought a AFX and a bunch of FRFR stuff to go along with it instead. This seems like a more affordable way to check out one of his guitars, but it's still a lot of money sight unseen.

Last edited:
If you can snag one at a good price, I'd say go for it!

See if it's for sale on TGP. You should be able to get a better deal.

I've always admired them too. I think the build quality will be hard to match. Certainly on par with the other top notch builders, from what I've read. I'm always surprised when they come up for sale.

Myka is a Seattle-local builder. I started doing some OEM work for him a several weeks ago. He pays his bills, and even built a prototype wooden cover for a new thing I'm working on.

09.jpg

15.jpg

Last edited:
Received the guitar today. I was really psyched to get the guitar, but upon receiving it, there were some problems. First the painful, but ultimately insignificant problems: Small chip near bottom strap pin and noisy electronics. There are a bunch of little dings in the guitar and the one chip. The finish feels a little rough and is discolored in a couple of spots. Looks like some drops of something got splatted on the guitar and marred the finish a little (It's barely noticeable, but it's there). Honestly, the guitar is going to be a player, so the cosmetic issues irk me only because the seller advertised the guitar as in mint condition. The noisy electronics is an easy fix, so no biggie.

The real problem is that as soon as I got the guitar I noticed some fret buzz. Brought the guitar into my tech, he says the guitar is dehydrated. He set it up as best as he could, but now I have to wait a month to re-hydrate the guitar and let it stabilize. After that, I'll bring the guitar in for a reevaluation. Hopefully, it'll have licked its own wounds, but if not he'll have to fix the problem with a fret dress.

Yet again, that wouldn't have really bothered me that much either, as it probably occurred during shipping. What really gets me though is that when I informed the seller of the issues, he dismissed my concerns and told me that I should just play the guitar and be happy.

Is it just me or does that feel wrong? I love the guitar. It's basically everything I've been dreaming about in terms of ergonomics since I first spotted the builder's work several years ago. But I've been kinda soured by the seller's attitude.

Any advice?

20150708_143340921_iOS.jpg
20150708_143408477_iOS.jpg
20150708_143429430_iOS.jpg
20150708_143453389_iOS.jpg

Double Edit: The seller told me to just play the guitar prior to me telling him about the fret buzz problems. I was waiting for the guitar to get back from my tech first. Just adding that so you don't think he was a complete jerk.

Last edited:
But I've been kinda soured by the seller's attitude.

Any advice?

Double Edit: The seller told me to just play the guitar prior to me telling him about the fret buzz problems. I was waiting for the guitar to get back from my tech first. Just adding that so you don't think he was a complete jerk.

Did you buy that directly from Myka? Or was it previously used?

From eBay, see first post for link to sale. The guitar is from 2005, you can read the seller's ad and see if you think it squares with what I got. I honestly, don't want to make too big a fuss over it, because even though there's still some buzz, it can be fixed.

I love the feel of the guitar. The neck profile is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. It reminds me of a PRS pattern wide neck. Acoustically, the guitar is resonant and lively. The neck heel is everything I imagined it would be. Haven't played it extensively yet through the AFX, as I literally got the guitar at around 11am this morning and took it to my tech about a half hour later. Been there for about 3 hours and have just gotten home.

I have no doubt that David Myka builds quality instruments. LET ME MAKE IT CLEAR, I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH THE BUILDER!!! To the contrary, I'm even more in love with the guy now more than ever after seeing one of his guitars in person.

Edit: Here's link to ebay ad: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301668410701

Here's the quote the pisses me off: "It is immaculate and in brand new condition. If you placed it next to a guitar made a week ago, you couldn't tell the difference."

Last edited:
You can return it for a full refund, as per ebay rules, minus your return shipping cost. Tell the seller your concerns again and that you feel you over paid by X amount given the inaccurate description. If he offers a partial refund perhaps take it, or return it and avoid the risk rehydration is not the problem.

I have had issues a couple of times with undisclosed issues from eBay sellers. 2 of them gave me partial refunds but 1 I had to file a claim with PayPal. It was an open & shut case in my favor & got what I asked for to do the needed repairs. You really should be able to get some sort of refund based on the dings & chip that were not disclosed.
As far as the hydration goes, there is not much you can do if the guitar came from a dry climate. I got a really nice Dingwall fretless bass a while back that was near unplayable in certain areas of the neck. Sheldon Dingwall said pretty much what your repair guy said, to let it acclimate to the new climate & see how it is. It plays great now with only a minor truss rod tweak I did. I've never played a Myka but have heard nothing but great things about them.

Outside for cigg, can't stop playing the thing. I'm not worried about my guy being able to fix the problem. After he tweaked it, it's pretty damn good. He could have leveled it today and fixed it 100%, but you gotta let the guitar acclimate first. The thing that is killing me is that it's already so good. I just need to wait a month until it's perfect.

As far as money goes, I'd honestly take whatever was refunded and send it as PayPal gift to David Myka.

I would absolutely file a claim for a partial refund. But, take it to a tech and get everything documented. That's the easiest way to get it done quickly. PayPal will side with you anyway, but you will probably still have to take it to a tech.

The description in the ad is all the fire power you would need.

From eBay, see first post for link to sale. The guitar is from 2005, you can read the seller's ad and see if you think it squares with what I got.

Good to hear you didn't get it directly from him. That's not the kind of attitude I want to hear about from my OEM users. I'd probably pull my stuff if they gave buying people that kind of 'tude.

I ended up keeping the guitar. The seller did man up to the point where he was willing to pay for repairs, but he still wouldn't take any responsibility for his false advertising. Myka didn't want the cash, neither do I. I told the guy to give it to a charity and think about his shady ways. Not proud of it, but I also took the opportunity to call the dude a scumbag.

I ended up keeping the guitar. The seller did man up to the point where he was willing to pay for repairs, but he still wouldn't take any responsibility for his false advertising. Myka didn't want the cash, neither do I. I told the guy to give it to a charity and think about his shady ways. Not proud of it, but I also took the opportunity to call the dude a scumbag.

So you're trusting this "scumbag" to do the right thing and donate the money to charity?

^ lol

Well, regardless of whether he does the right thing or not, I'm glad you are happy to own that very nice guitar and having builder restore it. You're a better man than I. I've become so weary of the used gear thing thanks to few bad apples...

I bought a Savage Glas 30 from someone on The Gear Page. Killer amp, but this one had a bad hiss, even with no input signal. Sadly, I did not look at the seller's posts before buying. But, lo and behold, he had actually posted about the problem. I didn't report him, but I really should have. He paid for shipping to the builder, because they advertise a transferable warranty. So, I sent it to them, and they did not honor the warranty. They did discover part of the problem, but I still didn't feel as though they solved it completely. Ended up trading the amp as part of a deal, being upfront the issues of course. Lost a boatload on that one, but wound up with what became my favorite amp (pre- Axe FX), a Kingsley D32S.

Back to the sweet guitar: Is yours a 4 knobber? How is that P90 in the neck position?

I'm not holding my breath about the donation.

The P90s are from Womac's post. The guitar I purchased has two humbuckers. One master tone, one master volume, two continuum knobs.

At the end of the day, I would have been happy with the guitar from the start had the seller simply been honest. His description should have read, "Guitar in good used condition. One small chip, see photo." Instead he said, guitar played twice, kept in closet for the rest of time, brand new, identical to a guitar made last week. Slimely.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom