My wireless Axe Edit Remote.

Interesting ,Can you give more details?

Absolutely!
It's as easy as it gets. It's a wireless mirror of my computer wich is located downfolded in my rack. My computer is hooked up with the Axe Fx behind the stage, so i just use the Hotspot to connect my Ipad (i use the splashtop streamer app for mirroring) and it works just like a computer. tho with a touchscreen this time.
This is very handy for me cuz all my sheetmusic is on my ipad, and if i want to change some settings i just go to the splashtop and remote it from there and it's looks nice and tidy on stage. it's only me, my guitar the MFC and my ipad on the stand. only one cable from the MFC :)

Silly question but how do you close the macbook and still access it with the Splashtop streamer?

Also can the Global Output pages be accessed via Axe Edit? It would be great to use this method to tune the global EQ by sitting in the audience position since I am wireless.

If you are using a second computer hooked up to the AxeFXII you can use RTPMIDI and run an actual instance of AxeEdit on the remote machine. I tried that splashtop streamer and thought that it was a bit dodgy; could have been just me. I may have been trying to run it on an old droid or something too vs. a full blown tablet PC like I did with RTPMIDI.

Silly question but how do you close the macbook and still access it with the Splashtop streamer?
This was my question too. I'm very intrigued.
I cannot speak for Emil but there are several 3rd party apps out there that allow you to close the lid and not have the Mac go into sleep mode. NoSleep for Mac is one. I have been using an app called InsomniaX that works well for me when I use my Macbook to play movies on my HD TV.

Last edited:
I do this as well using an iOS app called "iDisplay". Once you have the app, there is a download on their site for a OSx or Windows application that will serve it. It's pretty handy, you can tell it to mirror the whole display, act like another monitor, or mirror an open window.

Couple with a nice iPad stand/holder, and it's convenient while playing/tweaking. I only do this at home though, not rehearsals or live.

IMG_3100.JPG

IMG_3101.JPG

I cannot speak for Emil but there are several 3rd party apps out there that allow you to close the lid and not have the Mac go into sleep mode. NoSleep for Mac is one. I have been using an app called InsomniaX that works well for me when I use my Macbook to play movies on my HD TV.

Ahhhh, gotcha. I have an app called Caffeine installed on my MacBook that is similar, but it hasn't been updated for Yosemite so it's function has been kind of sketchy lately. I'll take a look into some of those other options you listed, thanks.

Splashtop is available for windows... You could also pull down any remote desktop app, there are many.

Also can the Global Output pages be accessed via Axe Edit? It would be great to use this method to tune the global EQ by sitting in the audience position since I am wireless.

I use NoSleep, works great. i don't know if this is the best one but works for me. you can see it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbelrz81Tb4&spfreload=10

I do this as well using an iOS app called "iDisplay". Once you have the app, there is a download on their site for a OSx or Windows application that will serve it. It's pretty handy, you can tell it to mirror the whole display, act like another monitor, or mirror an open window.

Couple with a nice iPad stand/holder, and it's convenient while playing/tweaking. I only do this at home though, not rehearsals or live.

View attachment 25919

View attachment 25920

That looks even more neat!
I havent solved the problem of a fullscreen axe edit yet!

Last edited:
So, how are you dealing with the stuttering that occurs when syncing the axe with axe edit? Or doesn't it do that anymore? Haven't been tweaking much lately.

Gotta say, it's a pretty cool remote solution. A server/client model, instead of a dedicated iPad app.
And it works too. I tried iDisplay, and it's fast. Still, I much prefer using my MacBook (or front panel) to edit.
Some of the controls are just too tiny for my taste on the iPad display.

The sync stuttering is still there, because that's occurring between Axe-Fx and laptop.
FWIW, I recently replaced my USB cable and AE/Axe-Fx syncing became much faster.

So, how are you dealing with the stuttering that occurs when syncing the axe with axe edit? Or doesn't it do that anymore? Haven't been tweaking much lately.

I haven't noticed any delay/stuttering. when i don't use axe edit i just pause it.

Still, I much prefer using my MacBook (or front panel) to edit.
Some of the controls are just too tiny for my taste on the iPad display.

Agreed. Any major preset building or heavy tweaking, I prefer my Mac for speed. iDisplay can be convenient for certain circumstances though. I only explored it as I am in the need for a new MacBook as I have an old Air that is too slowwww. Using my iMac as the horsepower, and iDisplay for the remote display was a great alternative.

Back
Top Bottom