My wife says "damn you, Dweezil!!!"

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
I was living in blissful ignorance with my single FRFR speaker... until I downloaded Dweezil's 3rd version of his Van Halen patch. It didn't sound right, so I finally pinpointed the issue: DZ's patch uses hard panning, and the two cabs can only be heard if you're running stereo.

Fine, I edit the patch to pan everything dead center. Better. But...

But I was curious as to what I was missing. So since I only have one FRFR speaker, I dusted off the old Vetta combo, and fed my second Ultra channel into its loop return and did all the necessary setup to use just the Vetta's power amp and speakers. Flipped the patch back to hard left and right panning, and it slapped a stupid silly smile on my face. Of course, afterward I tried all my patches in stereo. Now I'm hooked. I don't care that the FOH is frequently mono. I don't care that the stereo effect is lost on stage (and even more lost in the audience). I don't care about all these excuses I used to use to justify my having a single FRFR speaker. Now, I'm hooked, and I want that ear candy all the time.

So my wife says "damn this Dweezil!!!". Bonus points for her, because she knows who Dweezil is.

As a side point: it's kind of embarrassing for Line 6 that some folks are using a Vetta combo as a compromise until they can locate and acquire a proper FRFR speaker (but I kid you not, the Vetta sounds like crap compared to my powered EV SXa360).

Now busy hunting for a good (but light) FRFR speaker...

Daniel

I've abandoned the idea of AxeFx thru' a foldback wedge.
After months of wildly various results i've gone back to my old Line6 AX2 for foldback (keeping the IEMs ofcourse).
(My Vetta was sold to finance the AxeFx)
I have previously always sent the balanced outputs direct to FOH and rely on IEMs and wedge for my monitoring.
Unfortunately i have to rely on 'whatever i get' for a wedge & it's always tuned for vocals not guitar.
Out of desperation i lugged along my old AX2 (long forgotten in an old cupboard) and fed the AxeFX output into the mono AUX input of the AX2.
Whammo! instantly better but certainly not perfect. Unfortunately it's in mono.
My drummer wants me to go mono to FOH so he can have the extra channel for tom panning.

My budget doesn't include a QSC because they are over $2k ea. in Oz and i'm saving for the MFC101.
After this purchase a Fratomic will be on the list.

Chuk said:
My drummer wants me to go mono to FOH so he can have the extra channel for tom panning.

Somehow that doesn't seem all that fair.

How many mics is he already using? 8, or 9, and you have a whole 2? Besides that, he wants you to kill YOUR whole stereo field, (and the option to use dozens of stereo guitar effects,) so he can have the option to have 1 stereo field effect?

Seems like he may have a slight ego problem. :lol:

My Vetta head has been collecting dust 6 months after it came out, I gave up on it.
My AX2 still kicked its butt. Its still very usefull today.
I bought another for a spare. Something about it that even the AXFX cant quite nail for me live.
Quality, there is no comparison the AXFX is the tops, but theres something.... believe me i have tried.

I know what you mean about mono FOH. But the stereo sweet spot on stage is worth it.

I cant bear to let the Vetta go for as cheap as they are now, I'd rather give it away to friend or family.
What a waste of money. Should have sold it when people thought they were cool.

Love those swirling goodies in the air with stereo.
Pretty cool of DZ to post.

www.duaneramelot.com

I don't know, probably I have some ear problem, but I really love my actual situation: Ultra-Vetta II-AllAccess-2 AlesisF2
Those babies solved the lack of warmth I was suffering with a couple of QSCs I was running before and I'm running stereo too.
True, that Vetta stereo image is not so good as the one with two separated (at least 2 mts) FRFR cabs, but I'm usually playng on very small stages so normally I can't really separate the cabs.
Anyway the difference between stereo and mono, even in this case, are perfectly audible and worth the extra efforts.
Maybe that I'm not so good with EQs, I've never got my QSCs sounding as I wanted, but first time I hooked up the Vetta, voilà the trick was done for me.
And the Vetta is ligther than the QSCs!

Dutch said:
QSC=mono, Vetta=stereo. 2xQSC=120lbs.

But you don't have to pick them both up at once.

I'd much rather pick up 2 60lb objects in 2 trips than one 75lb object in one trip any day.

Believe me, I own a Vetta, and I am my own roady, and I've done quite a few stair wells with it too.

The other issue I have with the Vetta is how poorly the handle is attached, you just can't safely use it. I wound up buying my Vetta online way back in '02, because GC never had one that the top handle wasn't ripped out of. You can actually use the built in handles on the QSC's.

Besides that, I didn't have a problem picking up the QSC's when I was checking them out at GC, so I would assume the QSC's are a little lighter than QSC says. My Vetta on the other hand actually weighs in at about 76lb's & a few oz.

My personal solution will be to go with passive FRFR's (which are really light, compared to any powered FRFR) and a nice light weight 2 space FRFR Poweramp like a QSC GX3. I just don't know which FRFR cabs to choose yet. I'll need to go to GC to try it some out.

Guitar-Tiz said:
Dutch said:
QSC=mono, Vetta=stereo. 2xQSC=120lbs.

But you don't have to pick them both up at once.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
So right.
I'd much rather pick up 2 60lb objects in 2 trips than one 75lb object in one trip any day.

Believe me, I own a Vetta, and I am my own roady, and I've done quite a few stair wells with it too.
You know me, I had one too. Heavy SOB. Wished so many times I'd gotten a head and a 2x12.
The other issue I have with the Vetta is how poorly the handle is attached, you just can't safely use it. I wound up buying my Vetta online way back in '02, because GC never had one that the top handle wasn't ripped out of. You can actually use the built in handles on the QSC's.
Never had a problem with my handle... Used it quite a bit, but still preferred carrying it to my chest. Heavy SOB. Built some casters underneath it.
Besides that, I didn't have a problem picking up the QSC's when I was checking them out at GC, so I would assume the QSC's are a little lighter than QSC says. My Vetta on the other hand actually weighs in at about 76lb's & a few oz.
Could be a matter of balance. That big box (Vetta) handles like an aircraft carrier.
My personal solution will be to go with passive FRFR's (which are really light, compared to any powered FRFR) and a nice light weight 2 space FRFR Poweramp like a QSC GX3. I just don't know which FRFR cabs to choose yet. I'll need to go to GC to try it some out.
ART SLA 2. If the power suffices...

Dutch said:
ART SLA 2. If the power suffices...

Looked at it, didn't like it.

The QSC GX3 cost less, has more power, and is only 5lbs heavier. (According to QSC, and ART's web sites.) Plus, I don't mind the 2 spaces.

I just need to decide which FRFR speaker cabs I want. I'm thinking I like the JBL JRX112M, but that's just on spec's. I'll have to go and try out several different cabs somewhere to see which I like best.

It is a matter of tastes, but I prefer lug one way 75 than two way 60!
Then I've never had to lift it by myself alone also.
Anyway , IMHO, Vetta in stereo is better than two QSCs side by side, no matter what eq I apply (again maybe it's my poor ability with eq)
I have tried in stereo and mono:
AFX-M AUDIO FW410-Audio Technica ATH M40 fs
AFX-M AUDIO FW410-Onkyo home theater PA-Boston audio bookshelf mini cabs
AFX-Behringer reference amp 300+300 watts-Marshall 1960a stereo
AFX-Pair of QSCs
AFX-Vetta PA
At the end of the story Vetta wins, second place for the Audio Technica then the Qscs and the Marshall cab, last the Onkyo+Boston Audio. All of them better in stereo hands down
That's all

Angelo

Back
Top Bottom