My wah settings suck...

Rotti

Fractal Fanatic
What are you all using to get an insane, over the top, Dimebag-ish wah? Preferably something that screams on leads, but is also tasty for clean work.

What are you all using to get an insane, over the top, Dimebag-ish wah? Preferably something that screams on leads, but is also tasty for clean work.
Here is a suggestion you can play with: Add a wah you like the general sound of, then go to the wah controller settings (highlight wah block>EDIT>wah control>ENTER>tab to Modify). Play with the Mid, End, and Slope settings. For me, getting the transition hump in the wah sound to fall under my foot where I want it, meaning in the right part of the pedal travel, has everything to do with getting the wah to scream at the right time. These settings can also make an expression pedal "feel" more like a CryBaby or Clyde in use.

This won't change the tone, but changing the feel while playing made it much easier to nail the tone changes when I wanted. Good luck!

You can also change the taper of the Wah in the block itself. Linear is an even sweep from 0 to 100%. The Log options numbers reflect the percentage of the pot's value at the midpoint in it's rotation. For example, Log 20A is a logarithmic taper where the pot is at 20% of it's total value when turned up halfway. A linear pot would be at 50% value when turned up halfway.

What pedal are you using? I have the Mission and run the Clyde or Cry baby with factory default settings and love it

Tweaking the curve is essential, lowering the mid value until it opens normally, then fiddling with scale and slope to have it go up with a nice curve. Damping increased a bit too to slow the action just a bit and choose your ideal taper. I use the Colorsound a lot.

I don’t see any way around except getting familiar with the nerd knobs. I never use a default wah block. Most frequent tweaks for me:
Low and high frequency
Increase mid-point to ~68% and damping 4-10ms in controller curve (I routinely do this even though I intellectually know I can tweak linear/log settings)
Add a controller to reduce output level 3-9dB as I toe down, to take the edge off if it is too dynamic.
Gain
Resonance? I’m going from (faulty) memory here

I think I've found what I'm looking for in the FAS Wah with a few tweaks.

Just to clarify, this wasn't a "problem," it was me asking for the settings people used. My axefx is fine... and I'm very familiar with the depth of this thing.

Back
Top Bottom