My very personal review of the Axe FX

RifferMcDuck

Inspired
I'm sure I'm not alone on this forum, but I'm a combat vet of the early Iraq war. Being that my adult life has been characterized by my ongoing battle with PTSD and depression, I've lost a lot along the way. One of those losses was my passion for guitar, which I stopped playing 6-7 years ago during a particularly dark period of my life. It's been very difficult to find passion ever since.

When lockdowns hit last year, I bought my first Axe FX on a complete whim. I just thought it might be something exciting and new to try while stranded inside, and something about it just struck a chord with me. It's been like having a world class music studio in the little corner of my bedroom, stocked with every amp and effect in existence. I've had my ups and downs figuring it out, but ever since it showed up on my doorstep, playing guitar has excited me again. I wake up thinking about playing on the Axe, I go to sleep thinking about playing on it. I've been writing music again for about a year now. I love listening to the Axe recordings of others and getting inspired. I love reading about others getting just as excited as I am. I love when I learn something new about the Axe and feel I've "leveled up". I love the feeling when a new update, feature or effect is added.

I suppose I'm just thankful to have my passion for guitar back again, when I thought it was lost for good, and I have this crazy box to thank for it.

I too know what it's like to lose your passion due to depression. I didn't play for years, which really sucks because when you've lost your motivation, it's hard to do things that may help. I'm still dealing with it, but fortunately the inspiration for playing came back, and getting the AF3 made playing even more fun!
Thank you for your service and it's good to hear you're enjoying the guitar again. This black box is pretty awesome indeed!

What a great place to be. I'm glad you hung in there long enough to get to this place. Far too many don't.

I really appreciate your service as a fellow Vet. I hope this is not considered SPAM, but I am linking a website to
an organization very near and dear to my heart. It's related both to your journey, and the positive outcomes
music can bring Vets and Active Duty Service Members.

https://www.soarforvets.com/

Thank you for your service @RifferMcDuck and @la noise, and every member of the forum who has served or is serving.

I've struggled with depression for most of my life, and my heart goes out to everyone who's been there. I've found weird stuff that has helped, but I take solace in the fact that many of my favorite artists in one way or another seem to have suffered with depression, so I feel like I'm in good company. 🙂

And I agree about the Axe FX III; to me it's the answer to anything I've ever wanted as a guitarist. Not only do I not want for anything now; I find myself constantly discovered further exactly how great this thing is, and how much more powerful it is than I realized.

Thank you for your service @RifferMcDuck and @la noise, and every member of the forum who has served or is serving.

I've struggled with depression for most of my life, and my heart goes out to everyone who's been there. I've found weird stuff that has helped, but I take solace in the fact that many of my favorite artists in one way or another seem to have suffered with depression, so I feel like I'm in good company. 🙂

And I agree about the Axe FX III; to me it's the answer to anything I've ever wanted as a guitarist. Not only do I not want for anything now; I find myself constantly discovered further exactly how great this thing is, and how much more powerful it is than I realized.

It's strange the way intense emotions inspire people, isn't it? My best music was written at the worst times. But I'm glad you're all here, and that we've all found something that helps as much as the Axe does.

I'm sure I'm not alone on this forum, but I'm a combat vet of the early Iraq war. Being that my adult life has been characterized by my ongoing battle with PTSD and depression, I've lost a lot along the way. One of those losses was my passion for guitar, which I stopped playing 6-7 years ago during a particularly dark period of my life. It's been very difficult to find passion ever since.

When lockdowns hit last year, I bought my first Axe FX on a complete whim. I just thought it might be something exciting and new to try while stranded inside, and something about it just struck a chord with me. It's been like having a world class music studio in the little corner of my bedroom, stocked with every amp and effect in existence. I've had my ups and downs figuring it out, but ever since it showed up on my doorstep, playing guitar has excited me again. I wake up thinking about playing on the Axe, I go to sleep thinking about playing on it. I've been writing music again for about a year now. I love listening to the Axe recordings of others and getting inspired. I love reading about others getting just as excited as I am. I love when I learn something new about the Axe and feel I've "leveled up". I love the feeling when a new update, feature or effect is added.

I suppose I'm just thankful to have my passion for guitar back again, when I thought it was lost for good, and I have this crazy box to thank for it.

I too know what it's like to lose your passion due to depression. I didn't play for years, which really sucks because when you've lost your motivation, it's hard to do things that may help. I'm still dealing with it, but fortunately the inspiration for playing came back, and getting the AF3 made playing even more fun!
Thank you for your service and it's good to hear you're enjoying the guitar again. This black box is pretty awesome indeed!
Both of these are inspirational stories, and uplifting to see how music and discovery can reawaken that sense of wonder and fun we had before life got in the way. I wish you both much success and pleasure in your musical journeys.

I cant imagine the struggles that yourself or other veterans go through mate, thankyou so much for your service. I do however relate to your story from a lost passion & depression perspective.. I stopped playing after my first wife decided to trade me in for a newer model :tearsofjoy: I didn't touch my guitars for 10 or so years after that and constantly felt depressed. I didn't really talk about it back then and didn't realise how much of a black hole not playing had left in my life. After a close friend purchased a Kemper and asked me around for a drink I became fascinated by amp modelers/profilers, I come from an age where rack gear was the bees knees.. I still have most of my old gear! When I got home I You-tubed amp modelers and one of Leon Todds vids was first up, I clicked play and haven't looked back.. I purchased my Axe3 started playing again, like you I play every day/night or in between. I even joined a 80s hard rock tribute band, I'd also forgotten how much playing live meant to me. So yeah, thank god for this crazy black box!

Last edited:
I cant imagine the struggles that yourself or other veterans go through mate, thankyou so much for your service. I do however relate to your story from a lost passion & depression perspective.. I stopped playing after my first wife decided to trade me in for a newer model :tearsofjoy: I didn't touch my guitars for 10 or so years after that and constantly felt depressed. I didn't really talk about it back then and didn't realise how much of a black hole not playing had left in my life. After a close friend purchased a Kemper and asked me around for a drink I became fascinated by amp modelers/profilers, I come from an age where rack gear was the bees knees.. I still have most of my old gear! When I got home I You-tubed amp modelers and one of Leon Todds vids was first up, I clicked play and haven't looked back.. I purchased my Axe3 started playing again, like you I play every day/night or in between. I even joined a 80s hard rock tribute band, I'd also forgotten how much playing live meant to me. So yeah, thank god for this crazy black box!

I was really hesitant to post this review to begin with, but these kinds of responses are making me very happy I did. I'm glad there are others out there that have used the Axe FX (the Kemper too!) to fill something that was missing, and I think it's good for the FAS team to know some of the less talked about life-changing positive effects their product has had on people. As well as for those suffering from mental health issues to know they're not alone.

Depression is a hard battle, but I'm glad you're here and wish you the best of luck in continuing to fight it!

Man, I feel like I could have written this. I'm also an OIF/OEF combat vet who was part of the Iraq drawdown/Afghanistan surge of '08-09 and my civilian life has been dominated by dealing with PTSD, a TBI, and depression(among a litany of other physical injuries from an accident overseas). After my deployment I stopped playing guitar for a couple of years too.

I got my first FAS product, an Axe-Fx II, in 2018 shortly after my first good job and it really lit a fire under my playing. It's an inspiring device and I'm so grateful for guys like Chris and the FAS team for democratizing great guitar tone and giving guys like us something to keep our hands busy wtih.

Last edited:
Man, I feel like I could have written this. I'm also an OIF/OEF combat vet who was part of the Iraq drawdown/Afghanistan surge of '08-09 and my civilian life has been dominated by dealing PTSD, a TBI, and depression(among a litany of other physical injuries from an accident overseas). After my deployment I stopped playing guitar for a couple of years too.

I got my first FAS product, an Axe-Fx II in 2018 shortly after my first good job, and it really lit a fire under my playing. It's an inspiring device and I'm so grateful for guys like Chris and the FAS team for democratizing great guitar tone and giving guys like us something to keep our hands busy wtih.

I was in the Haditha triad and the Fallujah area 06-08, but my buddies went to Helmand right after that, so I know how rough that place was. Happy you're still here with us.

You're also spot on about keeping our hands busy - even if I'm just messing around and not playing anything specific, it at least feels productive.

I was in the Haditha triad and the Fallujah area 06-08, but my buddies went to Helmand right after that, so I know how rough that place was. Happy you're still here with us.

You're also spot on about keeping our hands busy - even if I'm just messing around and not playing anything specific, it at least feels productive.
Thanks man glad you're here as well I've heard some wild stories from buddies who deployed during your timeframe.

Very inspiring story, thanks for sharing.
Axe is an amazing tool that you can get lost in for days.
Every amp, effect, cab we ever need, right at our finger tips....and a pair of headphones means nobody else needs to be bothered.
Keep playing, keep recording....keep having fun with it.

Thank you for sharing this, and even as an Aussie I feel like I want to acknowledge all that you vets have done and gone through. I feel sheepish sharing my Axe story, it’s nothing compared to what you guys have been through, but about 10 years ago I got severe RSI in both hands, and had to stop playing. It was really devastating because guitar was such a big part of my life. For a long time I was scared to pick up a guitar and be reminded of what I couldn’t do. And as cheesy as this sounds… getting the Axe really invigorated me and helped bring back the joy of playing. I feel like a guitarist again and am even back to doing small gigs, because the axe is such a joy to play with and I feel so confident that it is going to sound good.

Thank you for sharing this, and even as an Aussie I feel like I want to acknowledge all that you vets have done and gone through. I feel sheepish sharing my Axe story, it’s nothing compared to what you guys have been through, but about 10 years ago I got severe RSI in both hands, and had to stop playing. It was really devastating because guitar was such a big part of my life. For a long time I was scared to pick up a guitar and be reminded of what I couldn’t do. And as cheesy as this sounds… getting the Axe really invigorated me and helped bring back the joy of playing. I feel like a guitarist again and am even back to doing small gigs, because the axe is such a joy to play with and I feel so confident that it is going to sound good.

I don't at all believe one reason for losing a passion is better or worse than any other, it affects us all the same. Pain is pain, no matter the cause. Thank you for sharing your story, and I am SO glad you're able to enjoy playing again!

Back
Top Bottom