My (very frustrating) IR shootout for my Matchless DC30 Patches....

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
OK, here is the shootout that I was referring to in this thread: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/100038-our-ears-can-frustrating.html

To recap, I am fully aware of and understand the differences between good recoding tones and good live tones, although I don't think they are THAT drastic because the goal is to sit/cut in a mix. These tones were tweaked for live use, and I revamped the same 2 recordings through 10 different IR's. Some are the usual suspects, some aren't. I wanted to be able to listen to them back and compare...and what I heard was such a huge discrepancy from what I'm getting live, at least perception wise, it threw me off quite a bit.....but then again I gigged this patch with one of these IR's for 4 hours last night and it sounded great, lol.

Anyway, tell me you guys think...I'll add the cabs used later after you guys have had a go at it. Amp is Matchless DC30, pretty much at default, mids pushed a bit and drive a little hotter than stock (for volume knob work). Amp and cab only with a little verb, some analog delay added in the 2nd half. No post processing at all. All recording/reamping via USB.

Also, all IR's are UR, except for the very last one. The first four are stock UR cabs, the rest are user cabs. Some own hammer, some from Cab Pack 10. The ones from CP10 are quick mixes I did in CabLab with a 57 and 121.

Last edited:
I think all the tones are great. If you are using the matchless cab in fractals cab pack I need the recipee and the preset please. ;)

There is a a quick mix of the 57 and 121 from the Matchless Cab in pack 10. The first 4 are stock cabs, the last few are user. A few own hammer and couple of quick blends from Cab Pack 10. I used a quick mix I did of the 57 and 121 on the Fuzzbomb cab last night at my gig just for fun and it sounded really good...thats in the test as well.

I'm glad to hear positive thoughts from you guys...tells me I was probably overanalyzing...

I think they all sound great... Overall, the difference between the cabs to me seems to be much smaller than in other shootouts.
I'd gig with any of these :)

yeah, that's definitely the case with this shootout because I stayed pretty much to cabs you'd use with this type of amp...not any 412's with v30's or scumbacks here...not that those couldn't sound great, but I was more interested in small/open back cabs with your typical AC/British type tones...so there won't be a huge amount of difference.....but you can definitely hear subtle differences.

If that was me dialing in a tone 7 and 10 are probably the two that I'd end up with. They have more bite while being smoother to me.

Yeah, the mids could maybe be tweaked, but again in the intended purpose is to cut live, so that's intentional to a degree. Will play around with them a bit for sure.

To me #8 is the one I would use just to jam on my own. Isolated it sound more open, more "roomy". #7 is a second close.
I don't know how it will translate in the mix, maybe it will get buried.

That's with my crappy headphones. I'll do a second listening with my Beyer later on.

Kevin, if you check this out there is a few of yours in here, including that 1x12 CL freebie you posted. It's the last one. :)

Actually it sounds really good and if you wan't something to compare it with get fremens presets his got an amazing DC30 patch in it...

By the way - I've checked the freebies from Kevin they are really good...

Thank you, I appreciate it. I appreciate every one that has taken the time to give it a listen and comment.

I think I recall reading somewhere in this thread that you boost the mids in the DC30 slightly; but don't add bass or treble. My personal taste with this amp is to boost the treble to 7 or 8. It opens the amp up a bit and adds more complexity to the overdriven sound. If this becomes too spikey, just roll up the high cut to compensate. The complexity will remain even if the high cut is boosted.

-Rob

I think I recall reading somewhere in this thread that you boost the mids in the DC30 slightly; but don't add bass or treble. My personal taste with this amp is to boost the treble to 7 or 8. It opens the amp up a bit and adds more complexity to the overdriven sound. If this becomes too spikey, just roll up the high cut to compensate. The complexity will remain even if the high cut is boosted.

-Rob

it's funny....before I started down this road with IR's my template had treble online 7.5 and mids about 5.5. Perhaps i should go back to that.

i'm just glad to hear pretty much overwhelmingly positive responses....let's me know I just needed to step back a bit and get some perspective. I'll list the IR's later tonight or tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom