My Unit is Possessed: Random Patch Changes

sanfender

This is the first time in 3-4 years that I've had any issue with my Axe Fx II (mark ii).

Issue: when I'm playing, the presets randomly change. For example, I'll be on preset 250, then all of a sudden, it'll chance to 248 (for example) without my doing a thing. Initially, I thought it was my MFC Foot Controller, but I unplugged it, and the issue persists. Finally, I tried re-installing the latest Ares firmware, but again, issue persists.

Anyone deal with & solve this issue?

Grateful for the help!

Try a screen other than the default Recall Preset screen, with no MIDI, pedals, Foot Controller, or USB connected, and not sitting on a speaker cab, to see if the problem continues?

a) If it only happens on the default Recall Preset screen, then maybe the main Rotary Encoder is dirty or worn.

b) If it happens on all screens then I have no clue?

c) Another long shot, be sure the pedal input jacks on the back are not shorting, assuming they are assigned to increment/decrement patches which I believe is the default assignment?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the reply. Unfortunately no luck troubleshooting the above. :(

These units are probably not supported / fixable by Fractal, I’m assuming?
I suppose this might be a sign to retire this unit.

Had a similar problem not to long ago and contacted support. They gave me instructions on how to pop the cover and remove and reseat certain connections. May also have put contact cleaner on the rotary dial. Fixed the problem immediately and hasn't recurred since. I think your best bet is to contact support, describe the problem, and follow their instructions. Hopefully your issue clears up as easy as mind did.

At work whenever i called IT support with a problem they always told me to shut it all down, wait a minute, then fire it up again. It usually solved the problem.
So I've had this OP's problem 4 or 5 times over the last several years. I shut everything down. Reboot. Back in business. No idea why it happens or why the close-and-restart solves it.

Back
Top Bottom