My tone is too perfect?

One of the nice things about having scribble strips on my FC-6 is I can use any label I want. I currently have a 4 dB boost button on most of my presets, and I labelled it "Facemelt" as a joke to my bandmates. It'd be just as easy to label it "Shitty" or "Suck". :D

Maybe another way to articulate what he was getting at is "too processed/studio" instead of "raw"? After having output compression, a tinge of chorus to "sweeten things up", maybe mucking with that +9/-9 detune thing, a few quarter note echoes from delay, noise gate tuned on input, reverb, and maybe ending it all with a multi-band compressor block as if you were mastering the live signal, etc... it goes from sounding like a live bar band (with just an amp block and cab) to sounding like a nerd tweaker's sterile sound. I guess it boils down to defining what you like, what your target audience likes, and how important it is to you to please your audience.

Last night after playing one of our fans said my tone was too perfect, so much so that it sounded unrealistic. Only description I could get was it needs to sound shittier. Guess that's why he stood in front of my setup all night. Is there a shittier knob I'm missing somewhere in the amp block?

On another note I just now realized why I had my output cranked more than often. Had set output #1 to -10db when I was testing some gear earlier in the week and forgot to switch it back to +4.
I try and compensate on my great tone by playing a bunch of wrong notes, you know - just to let the people know that I AM really playing it. haha Really though - had a rehearsal with the band last night for the first time with the III and they were blown away at what was coming out of my little 1x12 headrush (I was too).

We have the tools to dial in just about any tone you want. You must have good ears.

in Regards to lead tone, I think excessive compression or gain can make your tone sound over polished. Like digging in or muting notes doesn’t have enough impact on what is coming out the speakers. Not saying you are suffering from this but it’s worth mentioning.

To me IR s give that "perfect sound"
While many says IR are equal to real cab miked its not my experience.
It sounds so clean and sterile that you dont have a realistic sound.
Even with my tube amps IR are still too clean sounding.
A good guitar cab is still the best solution for me.

I try and compensate on my great tone by playing a bunch of wrong notes, you know - just to let the people know that I AM really playing it. haha...
In some cultures, artists make an intentional error in every piece of art they do because they want it to be less than perfect, for fear of trying to emulate their Creator. So I put lots of mistakes in my playing...for religious reasons, lol.

To put things in perspective, we're talking about one critic here. If 20 or 30 people came up and said the same thing, then I'd be inclined to rethink things....otherwise, stick to what you've got if you're happy with it.
As the saying goes, you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please everyone all the time.

Back
Top Bottom