My Tone Conundrum....and a request/challenge

Thanks Noriuky73. Well, I probably won't have drums - think more like a string trio of two guitars and bass, or just a duo of guitars, like in Art Music. For example, this recording:

All is audible to me, although yes I would like it to be less remote sounding. Still, there seems a bit of room between them, no? Less gain will not do. I will not play the instrument (you know, as much I do play....hmh hmh hmh). Also, I'm mostly not noodling; I'm composing chromatic music improvisationally, arguably with some success.

@Kriig: the gate on my Axe tones is almost strictly at -65, 2.89, 1ms, 100ms, input Z: auto. Those last two I think I inserted another gate just after the amp, but pretty light settings. (Taboo tones the HUSH is set at -50; goes down to -27.) Ideally, I want no attack, more like a piano hammer striking a string.

@Cliff: thanks for chiming in. I think the issue is my conception and preference of timbre. Lots of good sounding recordings here, mix-wise, but when the guitar sits by itself - for example here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...d-my-bands-ep-free-ffo-flames-gates-tbdm.html - it just sounds ugly as hell to me. I can't play the instrument when it sounds like that. So I'm always trying to get rid of that stuff. I don't even really like the last two octaves on the piano, because I can hear the strings when struck, versus a toning sound in the lower five octaves. The bass end of the keyboard can depend.

The last Axe clip I posted is a favored one....although here is another, different one I'm pretty fond of, too.

Last edited:
I can never decide if you are serious and just on another planet as far as musical tastes go, or if you are the greatest troll these forums have ever seen....

I'm just outside most people's experience, as is much of what I've experienced and enjoy. Except for my personal jab above about me 'playing', and my sardonic humour in my last response to you about 'my plight', I've been all business in this thread. Particularly in the 'I refute physics' thing. All business.

I'll mention that if Cliff came and said, 'I think what you want is not possible', I'd probably give up. I consider him an authority, afterall. If he just came and said, 'Dude, I'm just tired of seeing your shit here - please go', I'd go without incident.

Last edited:
Try putting a MBC block after all your tone shaping blocks, and adjusting the CH3 Threshold and Level parameters. This can really smooth out your highend. You may need to adjust the Crossover Frequencies on the first page as well.

@FretC: wow, that's pretty nice I think. Here's a clip of it. How did you do that TM?

Try putting a MBC block after all your tone shaping blocks, and adjusting the CH3 Threshold and Level parameters. This can really smooth out your highend. You may need to adjust the Crossover Frequencies on the first page as well.

I've done a bunch of messing with that block. The last Axe tone above uses it.

Attachments

• D4  2 (5) u67 S22.jpg
    D4 2 (5) u67 S22.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Loquenau,
Just took and loaded your patch, then played your sound file through usb into tone match block, then matched while chugging around on the E Chord. I did keep the cab in the chain when tone matching. You can tone match with or without a cab in the chain.
Glad you liked and got you close. The Axe Fx is an amazing piece. Don't give up on it.

@Fretcrawler: I did another, better TM, but still a little boxy sounding. I see I was forgetting to do the 'local' part of it - and didn't have the foresight to check whether I'd simply forgotten how it was all done. AH. Also, I'm not understanding why the cab and apparently any other stuff present in the chain before the TM block would have an affect on the match factor, but it plainly does, because switching out the post-amp geq (for example) block breaks the accuracy of the match.

Here's a vid I did with my phone this morning that shows the different tones, and their similarity. Not the greates fidelity, but I think it's good enough to tell. Oh, also a slight long and NSWF. Some language.

Yup, that was the late 60s/early 70s. Interesting passages. Not much countrepoint; not uncommon in 'non-academic' affairs. Not into the vocals either, especially as she's a soprano. Thanks, though.

Here's something improvisational of an academic (but not academic) nature:

Loquenau,
I seen instruction videos on TMing doing with or without cab. I feel keeping the cab in the chain does help tonal wise as when you use an isolated guitar track it is of the entire chain (guitar, amp, eq and cab). I just don't match with effects such as phaser, chorus, delay, reverb, etc) before TM block. When tone matching, FAS states to get it close but TM does the rest. Seeking tone is always an experiment until you hit that magical point.

Well, obviously there are more options through TMingthan I thought, let alone understood, so I'm thinking on how I want to approach it. I probably really should get CabLab and all that, but given that I haven't typically liked IRs........but then, since you can make IRs from tone matches.....mmmmm.........well I would need CabLab to compile a bunch of those.

@Fretcrawler (and to all) : OH. I'm such a dumbass. It's so simple. Reference > Local > Match. That's why I didn't get it when you said you were chuggin around on some E, nor why anything in the chain made a difference. Duh: because the 'Local' part of it is when you do that/those are counted in. So. Lots of things to try - including non-guitar sounds. MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH........Stay tuned.

Muddy.........so, what do you think this patch tone called Electric Wizard? (By I forget whom, but it was with Bongzilla and all that shit the other day.) Second half of the clip is Fretcrawler's TM of my Taboo tone, for comparison.

Back
Top Bottom