My thoughts of Namm and the Axe Fx II

Jeries

Power User
Went to NAMM for the second time last weekend, (the second time I've been)

I had a great time- but best of all met many people from the Fractal community...

I literally drove my friend crazy talking about the Axe II with everyone I met or talked to...

Many booths had Axe Fx II's and Ultras being used for demos...

I tried out the Kemper unit and was extremely disappointed- with all the hype there's nothing to it. They now make a powered version of the rack unit for many thousand dollars- and I asked "It's a stereo power amp right?" and they said "No, just mono" Their new big thing is IR's... and they described the process of with a computer creating your IRs...and the whole time I'm thinking "The axe can do this with one button built into it"

I hi-fived every stranger I saw wearing a Fractal shirt...

I really enjoyed talking to everyone about it and praising the unit. The trip to NAMM only further convinced me that this is the thing to have and I don't want anything else.

The guys from Shinedown and All American Rejects are getting the Axe Fx's ready for tours and stuff... I was never a shinedown fan before- But I saw them live and now I'm a fan for life, and they're awesome people- great guys.

I think met everyone on the Fractal Artist page... and was bragging about firmware 10 and explaining (poorly) the new MIMIC stuff to everyone at NAMM

Anyway- I had a blast, and I loved bragging about owning the coolest thing in the guitar world today.

-Jeries

"I hi-fived every stranger I saw wearing a Fractal shirt..."

I resemble that remark. Fun bumpin into fellow Fractophiles.

V

I would wear a fractal T-shirt if I could actually GET one :-|
Here in the US we just gripe about the $13 shipping cost for a shirt. Last month, when my AxeFx was in the shop, I tried to add a t-shirt to the cart when I was paying for the repair and the added shipping was even more than shipping the shirt by itself! :?

Where can I actually buy a Fractal T-shirt in Europe?

I got Chocolates from Suzi when I got My Axe Fx II, do some people get t-shirts instead?

I actually bought a Fractal T-Shirt (in the U.S). I love the Axe-Fx, but the t-shirt could have been better quality - especially for the price!

I didnt get neither chocolates nor the t shirt when I bought my Axe 2. The chocolate thing was a bummer since tons of guys got them, and didnt pass out from low blood sugar after spending 48 hours straight playing with the magic box. Anyhow, Im still happy as hell owning the best piece of gear ever made.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

I ordered a $7 rack panel from sweetwater and got a handful of jollyranchers and tootsie rolls....
I'm fat so- that was awesome

I wish my Axe came with chocolate

This was my 28th NAMM. You always see band tshirts, guitar, amp, ect....
I was amazed with all the Fractal Shirts this year.
In the past you'd see Line6 pods everywhere. The number of Fractals at different booths was surprising.

I haven't gone to 28 namms yet, mostly because I haven't turned 28 yet.

I was surprised to see Mesa Boogie not even there at all... I think they haven't exhibited the last 2 yrs.

I ordered a $7 rack panel from sweetwater and got a handful of jollyranchers and tootsie rolls....
I'm fat so- that was awesome

I wish my Axe came with chocolate

I always get the Smarties when I order from them!

Can't believe Suhr wasn't there. Of course most of the bigger brand guitars were there, and I'm sure there were plenty of smaller brands there trying to get their stuff exposure, but Anderson was there, right? So why not Suhr (is Anderson a bigger or smaller company? I've always thought smaller but they seem to have their own proprietary things, like tuners, which indicate a pretty big company. Just got a new Suhr and it's always a tempting to try Anderson instead)? Is Suhr kind of in the middle where their not so big that they can just not even think twice about going to NAMM every year but big enough and niche enough that they don't need the exposure? Kind of surprising they weren't there, though. And Tom Anderson and JS are supposed to be great friends, right? They seem to share a lot of the same design elements and seem to compete for the title of most perfect Superstrat.

I haven't gone to 28 namms yet, mostly because I haven't turned 28 yet.

I was surprised to see Mesa Boogie not even there at all... I think they haven't exhibited the last 2 yrs.
I've been to 3-4 shows over the last ten years and there are always some interesting absences. L6 didn't participate in a couple that I attended.

Given the cost, it's not so terribly surprising. Booth space is crazy expensive and that's on top of putting together an attractive booth, promo materials/swag, taking employees away from their regular job for a week or two to prep/support the show. I can totally see how a company could run the numbers and decide that exhibiting at NAMM wasn't worth it.

Suhr doesnt display at NAMM anymore because we opt to have an event at our factory instead. We bus our dealers from the NAMM convention to our factory for an awesome presentation/dinner/award ceremony along with performances from Suhr artists. I performed with my pop/rock band Friday Nights on night 2 of the event, it was a blast. Check it out: Friday Nights - Live at Suhr / NAMM 2013 - YouTube

That seems like a very smart way to do it. I would think sitting there all day with all that noise would be very tiring.

Back
Top Bottom