My thoughts as a new fractal user

hipiboy

Hi folks. My story and profile as a guitar player:

I'm a hobby guitarist from Monterrey, Mexico, 40 years old. My older brothers got me indirectly into metal, and by the time grunge was exploding in early nineties, I started playing guitar taking classes (mind you, Yamaha classical nylon acoustic). Later I won an electric in a contest, sold it and partly used the money for getting a black JemJr. Bought the first gen Peavey TransTube Bandit 112, and years later, a POD XT, I think it was the second generation of the kidney model. Before that, it was just the guitar and the amp...I was never a gearhead. Didn't have the money either. But in some ways, disenchanted with the sounds. Heck, I didn't even know how to dial that amp in, in hindsight. Youtube did not exist, and when it came out, I was very much focused on my newfound job as a recent college graduate. So, the guitar hobby took quite a long hiatus of 13+ years.
Last year I sought out to revive the hobby, purchasing a steel string acoustic. And said, "I'll just stick to acoustics, electric guitar, while I like to hear it, I just do not have good enough gear." But I read and watched some youtube videos about the amplifier modeling and guitar effects state of affairs, took the plunge with FAS, and so here I am. Still got my JemJr, just upgraded with gotoh hardware, and got me a "used" 2017 PRS CU24.

Aside from the acoustic stuff, I just like to (try to) learn songs I like, ranging from rush & pink floyd to 80's shredders (original G3 guys), going prog metal stuff (I was very much into "early" Dream Theater right up to 6DoIT), grunge (alice in chains). All the while at least, somehow, approximating the sounds of their recordings...

Onto my AXE III Impressions after having had a week with it, setting it up with a couple of used Adam A7's:

FAS staff, congratulations on such an amazing piece of technology. I certainly did not feel this way back in the day when I had gotten my POD XT. The AXE-FX III brings only wide smiles because of the great tones from a variety of modeled amplifiers, as well as some incredible sounding effects, right out of the box. And I haven't gone thru all the v11 presets. Just wow! Some presets are obvious that were made with specific songs in mind (EJ, nameless streets, man in box, bohemian rhapsody, la ballerina, owner of a lonely heart, some GnR, VH ones...is there a "guide" that explains if some where written with a specific song in mind? I don't recognize all). Other presets I guess try to showcase some of the potential of the unit, trying to inspire you to create. Well, I also spent good time with some of those, and the fooling around has been quite fun as well.
Kudos on the presets and the people who contributed making them.

Being a net new user, and reading about how complex this thing could be, I'm just playing with the presets now, and have mainly operated directly from the unit. I'm not afraid to explore and push buttons, and started learning a bit about the tons of amps, drives and types of effects, and how presets are built. I have found the navigation, so far for my limited needs, ok, intuitive. I still have some reading to do, or do some youtube watching (Leon & Cooper, I've been checking their content every now and then), to learn a bit more, but I don't crave to be a power user, so long I have good sounding presets (to me)!
The dialing in of an amp, to me, can be quite complex...let alone putting some effects before or after the amp and cab, and their type, and parameters. Because I grew up with no effects savvy, when I hear music, I do not think about what kind of amp it might be, if it has an overdrive, or distortion, type of delay, gates, compressors, etc. I'm just starting to learn about that, but mostly, I'd be fine by using some presets that someone else with better knowledge made. Using an analogy: I don't want the millennium falcon lego pieces, I can't make sense of them today. I can't handle the instructions on how to assemble the lego millennium falcon, because I think I'll mess up and waste time. Today, I just want the assembled millennium falcon to play with.

I bought the FC6 in the white christmas bundle, and haven't gotten it out yet. Just today, I hooked up my Mac with the axe edit. Bad thing is I'm getting back to work next week! These past days I think I did not watch any TV at all in favor of playing guitar with the AXEIII. And that I guess is one of the goals of the unit: make people play more. I've got much surprises and great tones awaiting to be discovered, though, I'm very, very happy with what I have experimented so far.

I lurk the forum every once in a while. I'll post my setup photo sometime down the line in the appropriate thread.

You’ll enjoy it, and the “wow” moments just keep coming! FAS not only builds an incredible box, but supports and develops it in a fashion absolutely unparalleled in the industry, and I mean that quite literally. There’s nothing like the way they keep making the best better.

Welcome to the rabbit hole... it’s deep!

You might consider Austin Buddy's preset pack for the AXE-FX III.
He has some really great products that work very well for a lot of people.

Back
Top Bottom