My thoughts after a month with the Axe-Fx III

Knaggster

Experienced
Just. Wow. Actually, I could probably stop right there, because I'm sure most people in this Forum know exactly what I mean.

I moved from the Helix Floor to the Axe FX III about four weeks ago. I was a big Helix supporter and used it probably 5-6 days a week for the last two years. It was a great unit, but I was never 100% happy with the tones I was getting out of it. I always felt like I had to fight it to get the tones I heard in my head. The Helix does have a great UI which is very easy to navigate around, an all-in-one form factor making load-in very quick and easy, and has a huge amount of on-line support (the main Helix FB group has ~26K members). There is also no shortage of people writing (and selling) patches - which I actually found frustrating, because after I bought them, most sounded nothing like their video demos.

Somewhat frustrated, I began looking at the two obvious alternatives, Kemper and Fractal. While attracted to the apparent ease of getting good tones from the Kemper, I was not a fan of the UI and the lack of a good computer editor (which is how I typically create most of my patches). Nor was there a lot of 'tweakability' in the Kemper Profile from what I could find out. That left the Axe FX III. The only downside that emerged from my research was the price, which even though it had fallen some, was still a chunk of change - especially as I would still need a floor controller of some sort. Nevertheless, I bit the bullet and ordered it - followed a few days later by the FC-12. Naturally, Murphy's Law struck 3 weeks later as FAS reduced the price of the Axe FX III again. Oh well . . .

A number of things struck me almost immediately when I received my Axe FX III:

The stock presets. They actually sounded good (the Helix ones were truly terrible IMO). This means I could actually run through them and get a useful taste of what the Axe FX III could do - and to begin studying their signal chains to learn how it was achieved. That was inspiring from the first minute with the thing.

The stock amps and cabs. As I started to create my own Presets, I quickly realized that the stock amps sound pretty darn good at their default settings. This made it much easier to get good tones quickly. The Cab selection was a bit daunting at first because there are so many, but when I discovered how to pin the Picker Panel and run through a bunch to audition them - and to mark favorites - that process was made much quicker and easier. The sheer number of amps and cabs in this thing means that it is about impossible to be unable to create 'that' tone.

Creating Presets. The grid system to build Presets is clever, intuitive and insanely flexible. You would have to have a truly insane mind to conceive of something that couldn't be created in this thing. Of course that flexibility is made possible by the bottomless pit of DSP. You want 8 amps in a single Preset? No problem. That's just nuts. The ability to create templates is a great time saver. Blocks is an amazing feature, really simplifying the signal chain, and when combined with Scenes provides amazing flexibility. And finally, there is the Block Library. Simply brilliant - and again, a feature that Helix users have wanted for ages. The Multiplexer block is a stroke of genius, providing yet more flexibility in designing a preset.

The Effects. Axe FX III delays and reverbs are way better than their counterparts in the Helix IMO, and the pitch shifting is light years ahead of Helix's monophonic offerings. I am now totally in love with the Virtual Capo. I have heard some people claim that the drives in Helix are better. I don't agree, and the Axe FX III gives you more choices also. The level of control you have over all the effects in the Axe FX III is staggering. Well, the level of control over everything is really.

Meters. They are everywhere in the Axe FX III and nowhere to be found in the Helix (even though it's probably their most requested feature). This makes leveling presets so much easier.

Controllers. Good Lord. I'm still discovering new ones. Helix had EPs and switches, but the Axe FX III takes it to a whole new level. And so many parameters can be attached to them. I have so much to learn in this area.

The FC-12. What a great piece of engineering. Expensive, perhaps, but insanely flexible. I am still scratching the surface of what it can do.

Firmware Update. Sorry Line 6, but your update process was an issue for many users. In contrast, firmware updating via FractalBot is a dream. I have yet to read of someone bricking their Axe FX as a result of a firmware update, and every firmware update seems to really add something useful. I think I have gone from 8.0 to 10.0 in the last four weeks, including a couple of beta versions, without a single issue.

I could go on, but I'm still learning my way around this magnificent beast. BTW, in case anyone is in the same position, I strongly urge them to watch the video course by Cooper Carter which is worth every penny IMO. This course has been an enormous help to me so far, as have videos by Leon Todd and Brett Kingman, and buying Austin Buddy's Amp Pack.

Finally, thanks to FAS for creating and supporting this incredible product, and to this Forum for answering many questions from new users.

Many common experiences, and the “wow” moments keep happening long after the new wears off. Purchasing the Ultra in 2011 was just the beginning of a journey that brought me to the III, and the journey continues...

Welcome to your journey!

Great review and I'm right with you.

I did the same as you, moved from Helix to Axe 3, but I made a stop with the Kemper. It didn't solve the issues I had and all those problems you mentioned with presets were the same thing with profiles.

I need to go through the presets again as you did, would be great to get a sense for the amps as I haven't check them since I got the device.

That's a beautifully written piece, Knaggster, and I'm glad to have been of some help to you. Welcome to the party and feel free to hit me up if I can further assist.

That's a beautifully written piece, Knaggster, and I'm glad to have been of some help to you. Welcome to the party and feel free to hit me up if I can further assist.

Your video of the AXE III - 8 Medium Gain Amps has been "bookmarked" for further review and download once I receive my AXE III.

Back
Top Bottom