My sound completely cut in half today. Help needed

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
LONG time fractal user never with any issues. Today as i was playing on my main preset, my sound and gain completely cut in half. It appears my input meter is much lower as well. Not sure if theres a bad connection in the axe or something. Theres also a lot of white noise and interference coming out of the speaker. Turning the guitars volume knob causes a lot of noise as well.

Ive ruled out the cables to the guitar, to the speaker and also tried a different speaker to rule that out. Ive narrowed it down to the axe being the problem. Ive also tried a different output on the axefx just incase my normal output one for some reason failed.

already sent in a support ticket.

Any help troubleshooting would be great. I have a gig in two weeks I need to get this fixed for.

Could be a bad connection between the main board and the front panel input board. Try the the instrument input on the rear panel and see if it does the same thing.

Last edited:
I had this happen on my II XL after a fall in the rack case. One of the ribbon cables came loose. If yours has been stationary and hasn’t seen any physical abuse, might not be the case but worth looking at inside.

Yeah it was the ribbon cable. was slightly loose. Thanks for the walk through Mark Day. Ive never had a company respond with support at 8:00 PM on a friday. Amazing.

One thing I notice is that my ribbon cable doesnt click into place. It comes loose fairly easily. Is this the case with anyone elses?

It's happened here and there to a few folks. Probably due to manufacturing tolerances on the connectors. If it's especially loose, it might be worth putting a dab of hot glue on the seated connector if you travel and gig with it. Hot glue is typically removable with isopropyl alcohol. I'd check what Fractal recommends first though if it's still under warranty.

Last edited:
Yeah it was the ribbon cable. was slightly loose. Thanks for the walk through Mark Day. Ive never had a company respond with support at 8:00 PM on a friday. Amazing.

One thing I notice is that my ribbon cable doesnt click into place. It comes loose fairly easily. Is this the case with anyone elses?
That's how mine was. Admittedly I found it odd that they are somewhat easily unseated, and aren't fitted with clasps or hooks on the connectors, as many ribbon cable connectors often have, or even a dab of hot glue. I think it's an oversight, personally, but there could be a reason for it.

Regardless, a quick and small dab of hot glue will prevent this from happening again, and still allow for servicing down the road.

Back
Top Bottom