My singer's Flextone cuts mix amazing.....tips on how to get Axe Fx II to do the same?

If you boost frequencies to cut as much as or more than the other guitarist, you should ask him to cut the same frequencies to balance out. It shouldn't be a competition, but more of a compromise to make the overall mix better. If you find a frontman/lead-singer/guitarist who can do that, you're ahead of the curve. If you really wanted to check your ego for the sake of the band, you could always play the line 6 (ducking for cover)

The highs always helps me cut through.........What real cab/speakers are we talking about here? What speakers is the other guitarist using? Are you both mic'd up?

The highs always helps me cut through.........What real cab/speakers are we talking about here? What speakers is the other guitarist using? Are you both mic'd up?
Not mic'd up. He uses stock speakers in flextone. Not sure what they are?

What is difference between adding a block of graphic eq after the amp versus using the block within amp back to boost mids?

What is difference between adding a block of graphic eq after the amp versus using the block within amp back to boost mids?

The GEQ in the amp block if set to Post Pwr Amp can be effective too. If it is Pre Pwr Amp, the mid boost will affect the overall amp gain / distortion.

I personally like to get my tone / gain / distortion just like I want it.

Then boost at the end.

My preset is essentially how I want it. Then I nudge it up in the mix at the end of the chain where it won't affect the gain.

I bet the simplest answer is cutting lows and maybe highs and increasing volume.

Yep.

This results in a similar EQ to boosting the mids without cutting the lows / highs.

In the analog world, a lot of my mentors always used cuts instead of boosts. I think due to the nature of analog circuits, cuts were less invasive to the audio.

In the digital world, I just like the sound of the passive EQ mid boost and don't fret the cut vs. boost philosophy that I was taught.

The GEQ in the amp block if set to Post Pwr Amp can be effective too. If it is Pre Pwr Amp, the mid boost will affect the overall amp gain / distortion.
I use the 3-Band GEQ in the amp block set to post.
I think it's the 3-Band Console one.

After dialling in the tone how I want, I then apply a 3-4dB boost on the MID fader

You may want to adjust the low and high res (lowering it) in the speaker tab in the amp block. This helped me when I was running the Axe-Fx II through a solid-state power amp and guitar cabs. It helped a lot for sticking out in the mix. The low res parameter was where I started first.
Hope this helps.

Instead of EQing the crap out of everything, I would look for a different IR.

It is true that the guitar is a mid focused instrument, but the mid frequencies are always over crowded in a mix. In most mixes, I add a low cut to and a high shelf boost to guitars. The high shelf gets to extend down into the Hi mids. Maybe I will start the shelf at 2-4000 Hz.

Instead of EQing the crap out of everything, I would look for a different IR.

It is true that the guitar is a mid focused instrument, but the mid frequencies are always over crowded in a mix. In most mixes, I add a low cut to and a high shelf boost to guitars. The high shelf gets to extend down into the Hi mids. Maybe I will start the shelf at 2-4000 Hz.
Appreciate the help, but as mentioned, I do not use FRFR. See my signature. Great tip though.

Before you start altering frequencies make sure you are hearing what the audience is hearing as was mentioned earlier about cab pointing at knees vs his pointing at your ears. you can eq a cab at your knees to sound better ....but....only 'better' to people listening with their knees!

Just curious- how are you assessing that you're low in the mix? Walking out front of the stage during sound check or comments from the crowd or.. ??
Get a friend who plays or another competent musician to listen to your band out front (preferably at more than one gig in this scenario) and apply some of the suggestions above until you get things dialed in for this band. I'm sure someone will suggest that the sound man should be able to do this, but that always depends..

For distorted stuff, I found the Sat switch to be the key. Made an amazing difference for me.

It's easy to find if you use Axe-Edit but not so much if you don't. Took me a while as I tend to do most of my tweaking from the front panel where you'll need to look in advanced settings.

I use and love evm12L's, and on top of that I'm currently making plans to drop them into my Gflex 2x12 oddly enough! I'll tell you what works for me since our tastes seem to be similar

I would lower the bass, or use the bass cut, or both. Then start to roll off anything above 4-5k if you pick 4k to start, be gentle, if you pick 5k you can be pretty severe but I would do this while the whole band is playing if at all possible. Here is the part that really sounds gnarly when you play alone tho, the 1k slider. Chris suggested this already, and I just have to back that up. I've really been learning the power of the 1khz slider lately, and it's been pretty amazing...

first of all, I think 1khz sounds like garbage on a distorted electric guitar, I just have to say it. It's fizz and spit and just about everything I hate in a guitar tone, so for years I've been dialing it out every time I dial in a tone on my own, and getting the same problems you are where I just don't cut. Now if you goose it up a bit while everyone else is playing, it will feel almost like a "cut" knob. One slight bump over "just enough" can be "omg way too much" but play with it a bit, it's worth it.

Also, keep in mind that if you find a frequency you like or hate, you can get an octave above by doubling it, or an octave down by cutting it in half. So if you find 1khz to be as important as I have, you might try messing with 500hz and 2khz. I often find that it doesn't mean you dime 500,1k, AND 2k just because you like 1k tho, but rather I might lower 500 very slightly if I go crazy with 1k, or that maybe I don't necessarily have to go so crazy with 1k if I lightly boost 2k as well. The doubling/halving "rule" just shows you other points of interest, doesn't mean you can boost/cut them all the same way.

Hope this helps!

This may not help but it's definitely something worth trying to avoid:

Does your singer's mic pick up his amp? Is it in line with other mics on stage? It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall and watch the levels on the board when your singer is just playing guitar. The axe fx does not suffer from bleed over into other stage mics. As a result I feel (opinion here) but it's presence or level is not assisted in any way by bleed over. I played with a singer/bass player that used an active mic and had the sound guy dime his gain to near the point of feedback. He would sing a good 6-8" away from the mic. He also played (bars)with an 8x10 ampeg cab that he would crank and insist on micing (until we convinced him to go direct). Bass was sooo loud and would occasionally clip his vocal mic. I quit this band.

Back
Top Bottom