My Secret Formula

I looked all over, but couldn't find that specific information, would you be kind enough to send me a link to that page?
thanks in advance
Nat

The wiki is a wealth of information but not everything can be found in the index on the main page, it's not a comprehensive list of everything in the wiki. If you want to know about parameters within a certain block, you'll need to open the page found in the index for that particular block. The parameters you're looking for are in the Amp block so here's the page for the Amp block: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Amp_block

The Amp block's Input EQ at the III is a great tool for shaping the guitars when reamping.

With the lead guitar, make a narrow bump and move the frequency until you find a spot where it outstands over the mix

With the rhythm guitar, use a negative gain and find a frequency that does not disturb the lead guitar or the vocals.

Once you find the spot, re-adjust Q and Gain to taste

It is definitively not the same as using post-EQ. It shapes the tone in a juicy way.

PreEQ.png

Last edited:
Also great for not needing guitars with humbucker pickups anymore. It can make the single-coils great on any of the 5 positions, without hiding the pickup nuances

It is the ultimate Killer of Humbuckers! ☠

Last edited:
The "Character" parameters are two of the most powerful advanced parameters available but I bet almost no one uses them.

My secret formula:
Character Frequency: 3000 - 5000 Hz, adjust to taste
Character: -0.5 to -1.0, adjust to taste
And Character Amt? I can't find any information about this parameter.

Thanks

And Character Amt? I can't find any information about this parameter.

Thanks
This parameter has been removed from the Amp block in the Axe III and FM series. The Definition parameter and a peaking EQ bump/cut in the Input EQ page combined with Input Dynamics in the Dynamics page can get you similar results.

This is an explanation of the parameter in the Fractal Wiki:

CHARACTER​

No longer available in firmware Ares and later. Firmware 20 and later for the Axe-Fx III introduced the Dynamic Distortion block.

Extremely powerful “inverse homomorphic filters”. When playing softly these dynamic filters have little effect on the sound. As the amount of distortion increases, the influence of these filters increases. The Character Frequency control sets the center frequency of the filters while the Character control sets how pronounced the effect is. For example, to darken the tone when playing harder, one might set the frequency to 10 kHz and the amount to -5. Setting the amount to +5 will make the tone brighter when playing hard. The amount defaults to zero whenever an amp type is selected. This control is similar to Dynamic Presence and Dynamic Depth but the frequency is adjustable.

"The "Character" parameters are two of the most powerful advanced parameters available but I bet almost no one uses them. My secret formula: Character Frequency: 3000 - 5000 Hz, adjust to taste, Character: -0.5 to -1.0, adjust to taste." [383]
"It is highly dependent on the amount of gain. This formula is designed for an "80's" lead tone. I use on for my JCM800 preset because I find JCM800s get shrill as you turn the gain up. It also works well with the SLO 100 and Recto models. The Character parameters control an "inverse homomorphic filter" which is a term I coined to describe a type of homomorphic signal processing. This filter is distortion dependent. The more distortion there is the more pronounced the effect of the filter. It's analogous to contrast and edge detection in image processing. The processing is dependent on the dynamic range of the image." [384]
"Added a new mode to the “Character” controls in the Amp block. A Char Type of “Dynamic” engages an exciting new mode of tone control. This can be used to fatten or scoop the tone as a function of picking strength. For example, set the Type to Dynamic, Char Freq to 450.0, Char Q to 0.7 and Char Amt to 4.0. This will cause the tone to get fatter and thicker as you play hard but without getting honky when playing soft."

well,if you like to share and tell us where it is will be much appreciate
It’s already explained to you from REX.
Take a look at the Wiki, there is also a video from Leon which explains the Dynamic Distortion block very well.

Back
Top Bottom