My Secret Formula

I just watched a tutorial on getting a good Van Halen tone and it touched on these settings except more extreme and I have to admit it was very noticible on the pick attack...love it.

Was that a YouTube vid ? I'd love to see the link ! THANKS !
Sure thing!

This starts out very kinda boring but the end result was awesome.

I have an AX8 and not sure but a lot of the settings he references were on different pages for me in AX8 edit. Enjoy.

Edit: I should have clarified what I meant by more extreme was the Character settings used.

Last edited:
The "Character" parameters are two of the most powerful advanced parameters available but I bet almost no one uses them.

My secret formula:
Character Frequency: 3000 - 5000 Hz, adjust to taste
Character: -0.5 to -1.0, adjust to taste

I have looked all in my Axe 3 and looked at every parameter under amp and do not see Character freq or Character. Where is it located?

After reading this, I was a bit disappointed to hear it has been removed. Yes, I realize that Input EQ has replaced it and while that is a nice addition to be sure... it is an entirely different animal.

While reading this I had the idea to use it to chase some Gibson L5 tones like King’s X... bright single coil tone for picking rhythm which darkens up to thunder chunk while power chording.

Shucks... but I do love the Tech Notes. Great resources. Thanks for putting time in to these sir.

After reading this, I was a bit disappointed to hear it has been removed. Yes, I realize that Input EQ has replaced it and while that is a nice addition to be sure... it is an entirely different animal.
If you tie Gain to an envelope follower, you'll find it to be a very similar animal. ;)

Last edited:
The "Character" parameters are two of the most powerful advanced parameters available but I bet almost no one uses them.

My secret formula:
I too tried to sound under this frequency, but isn't able to find much strength that can make it "most powerful parameters"

My secret formula:
Hey, that s very useful indeed, but what about the other parameters of the chain ( Out comp type, Out comp threshold, Out comp clarity, character type, and character amount)?
Thanks in advance for your response

Hey, that s very useful indeed, but what about the other parameters of the chain ( Out comp type, Out comp threshold, Out comp clarity, character type, and character amount)?
Thanks in advance for your response

Covered in the manual and wiki.

Back
Top Bottom