My Secret Formula

The "Character" parameters are two of the most powerful advanced parameters available but I bet almost no one uses them.

My secret formula:
Character Frequency: 3000 - 5000 Hz, adjust to taste
Character: -0.5 to -1.0, adjust to taste

Thanks for sharing this Cliff.. maybe you can ask for this to be put in the user manual because otherwise if you don't tell us this i don't know how i could have figure this out.

Cheers.

The "Character" parameters are two of the most powerful advanced parameters available but I bet almost no one uses them.

My secret formula:

I used this all the time in my presets. Very powerful parameters.

I used this all the time in my presets. Very powerful parameters.

uh huh. bet your just saying that, cos you wanna be cliff's best bud

:)

actually it's weird, because i'm always boosting 2k a tiny bit when recording to make the guitars pop out of the mix a bit more, so this seems counter intuitive to me, so i'd be interested to see what it actually does to the tone...

Funny, I've been using a PEQ to cut a narrow band just over 3KHz by a couple dB lately... maybe this will spare me a block!

Would anyone care to give us the "Character 101" summary of what this is? What does it do?

From the Axe-FX 2 manual . . .

CHARACTER, CHARACTER FREQ – These two parameters control a powerful inverse homomorphic filter which adjusts tone dynamically in a very musical way. CHARACTE FREQUENCY sets the center frequency of the filter while CHARACTER sets how pronounced the effect is. To darken the tone when playing harder, one might set the frequency to 10000 Hz and the amount to a negative value. A positive setting would have the reverse effect of brightening the amp when pushed. CHARACTER defaults to zero when amp type is changed.​

This looks really interesting, especially given how responsive and dynamic I'm finding V14 / V14.02 to be.

Terry.

I've never used the Character parameter either, but it's a dynamic filter, so Cliff's settings would notch a little based on how hard you are playing.

A little different than a fixed EQ.

I wonder where in the virtual amp the Character filter is applied? In relation to the Preamp and Power amp sims.

My secret formula:

Was that used in the Axe preset in the Axe vs. real TriAxis test clips?

No. I only use this for personal presets, never when comparing to an actual amp as this alters the tone of the virtual amp.

Thanks. So it's a tool for improving on the real world prototype, I take it?
You know what I mean, I think.. making a preset play nicer with others.

Never yried this. Must do tomorrow.

Messed around with bias and damp today. That was fun. Totally changed the Modern Recto 2...

Ended up playing the CA OD-2 all night... Man what an amp. Will try the character thingy with this amp.

Sorry, if those weren't there I wouldn't miss them.
Waaaaaaaay too subtle for my ears.
I can hear the difference but "most powerful parameters"???
There's a lot more under the hood that drastically changes the sound.

Back
Top Bottom