My Secret Formula

I've just tried this with one of my dry tracks from reamping with and the JCM800
the effect didn't seem to do much until it was set at -4 and beyond [freq at 4kHz]

maybe this is cos my guitars are pretty hot…

sounded very nice though

tried this again but using a dry guitar part recorded with an Ibanez RG rather than my Morgan V6
the effect is more noticeable with lower settings

the V6 is considerably brighter than the RG and the "dynicaminc calming" of the highs with the V6 don't really start working until about -3.0 to -4.0
with the RG you hear it starting to kick in around -1.0

and I guess this makes sense, because the RG [being darker than the V6] fries up the hi's far more gently than the V6

Shouldn't this be in Cliff Notes discussion? I personally have my own Cliff Notes notebook in my Evernote but good info like this will get lost in a few days in this discussion

Many thanks Cliff for highlighting this. I hadn't messed with these and from what I've heard at home so far, I like this a lot. Overall, it sounds more alive, and a good way to get more clarity at lower volume levels / lighter picking, without the fizz at higher gain. Can't wait to try it live this weekend! :)

Yeah the character control is great. It's like a bright cap on steroids that affects the entire amp model, not just what goes into the input. As far as where your guitar sits in the mix, it's probably one of the most powerful controls in the amp block.

Why not to move that thread to "Cliff's Notes" Sub-forum?
That way it won't be buried and everyone can read this awesome tip.

Shouldn't this be in Cliff Notes discussion? I personally have my own Cliff Notes notebook in my Evernote but good info like this will get lost in a few days in this discussion

Upsss... ^This

Last edited:
This works really well for polishing some of the tones that I was struggling to get 'just right'. Thanks for sharing this Cliff!

I had really good results with a clean Vox tone of all things with the new cab pack 2 x 12 Blues with the 121mic from Fractal. It gave the overall sound a bit more chime and sparkle on the top end.

Last edited:
I like it around 4k-ish, -0.71 with Rectos.

Funny, I independently came up with the exact same values while tweaking the Rectos: -0.71 seems perfect. Although, depending on the preset I sometimes go as high as 8k for freq.

Back
Top Bottom